"Bright" (Will Smith, Joel Edgerton, Noomi Rapace) - coming to Netflix 12/22/17

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Jul 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Cupids_bow

Cupids_bow chillin like a villain

Finally saw it today. I’d give it 3 out 5 stars. Orcs and Elves living with humans, hmm... I thought Joel Edgerton did a great job. Will Smith gave his typical performance, not mediocre but not great either. Action scenes were good with nice effects.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  3. It seems very similar to Alien Nation.

Ethan B, Shawn, Linus and 1 other person like this.
  4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Worst. Reviews. Ever.

There’s boring, there’s bad, and then there’s “Bright,” a movie so profoundly awful that Republicans will probably try to pass it into law over Christmas break. From the director of “Suicide Squad” and the writer of “Victor Frankenstein” comes a fresh slice of hell that somehow represents new lows for them both — a dull and painfully derivative ordeal that often feels like it was made just to put those earlier misfires into perspective. The only thing more predictable than this high-concept police story is the idea that a year as punishing as 2017 would save the worst for last.
    ‘Bright’ Review: Netflix’s First Blockbuster Is the Worst Movie of 2017

So why would Netflix go for a reported $90 million mashup of what is essentially Lethal Weapon meets Lord of the Rings? Did they smell their first shot at a franchise? This is their biggest shot yet at the bow of the majors. Reportedly they already committed to another Bright but, if true, it certainly could not have been based on a commitment to quality. This looks like a misguided, blatant attempt to play on the same field with the big boys — albeit day-and-date on a streaming service versus a release on thousands of screens...
    ‘Bright’ Review: Netflix’s Misguided Mashup Of Cop And Fantasy Genres Does No Favors For Will Smith

“‘Bright’ is only interesting for how confused it appears to be in regard to its potential audience. Screenwriter Max Landis and director David Ayer have taken a premise that could’ve worked reasonably well as a family-friendly television series — mismatched buddy cops busting criminals in a fantastical version of Los Angeles — and have turned it into a violent, vulgar two-hour movie, weighed down by heavy mythology….The movie’s on-screen message is, “If you act like my enemy you become my enemy.” But acting like an R-rated fantasy blockbuster doesn’t magically transform ‘Bright’ into ‘RoboCop,’ ‘Blade Runner’ or any of the other adult-oriented genre classics that’d be a much better use of TV viewers’ time and money."

Netflix gets epic with Will Smith's fantasy-action thriller 'Bright,' but the result is less than thrilling

Haaaaaarible.

Malina likes this.
  5. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I can’t believe such horrible initial reviews. I loved it. Training Day meets Judgement Night meets Blade. Totally gonzo. Same screen writer who did the new Victor Frankenstein that also was panned at first but now has thousands of 5 star reviews.

6. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

while i really wanted to enjoy it and actually kinda did, it is objectively bad. not nearly as awful as some of the most negative reviews say it is, but yeah: it was stupid.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
    AKA likes this.
  7. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

Yeah. I’d been looking forward to it, but it was a mess. Damn shame.

klaatuhf and GentleSenator like this.
  8. After the critical disaster that was Suicide Squad, this makes "strike two" for the pairing of David Ayer and Will Smith...

9. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

I thought it was pretty good. Edgerton did a great job. Good chemistry between him and Smith.

10. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

That's the first thing I thought of when I saw the trailer.

11. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Didn’t Tolkien invent orcs, or at least calling creatures like that orcs? They can use that idea in this movie without permission?

12. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Dungeons and Dragons (and other fantasy games) have been using "Orcs" as creatures since the 70's, so if they can do it, it must be fair game by now.

13. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Could they use hobbits?

14. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

We liked it too.

IMO, the heart of the movie is not about the sci-fi/fantasy aspects, but rather about the ugliness of extreme prejudices in a very near-future setting. In that respect, the main characters did it right.

15. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I don't know. For whatever reason, Hobbits seem to be considered exclusively Middle-Earth/Tolkien where Orcs aren't. I remember a fantasy video game in the 80's that had a race you could select for your character and it was very similar to a Hobbit. The game called them "Bobbits". And maybe that was too close for Tolkien lawyers, cause I think in the next installment in the game series, there were no Bobbits, but instead a new race called a Fuzzy.

16. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

Lord of the Hoods?

pass...

17. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

We watched the first 30 minutes of this movie. Not to our tastes. It seemed rather ugly and brutish.
    Not interested.

jerol

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yes, Tolkien popularized the word "orc" though he used a fantasy creature that had been around for hundreds of years. I think at this point, it'd be like trying to copyright the word "Dracula" or "zombie."

19. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

A strange movie. Will Smith was almost anonymous, the story was nothing really original. I think the trailer was spectacular, but the movie a bit of a waste of talent. Like they had a mediocre script, but suddenly had the budget for bigger stars (Smith, Rapace). Forgettable and sometimes amusing.

20. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I just read an article yesterday, saying that "Bright" and "The Last Jedi" are mirror opposites of each other. While critics hate and audiences seem to really like "Bright", it's the exact opposite with "TLJ". The critics hail it as a great movie, while audiences seem to say 'meh'. I haven't seen "Bright", nor do I plan to, as I'm really not a Will Smith fan. Still, this is the first time in recent memory (and my memory isn't always the greatest, mind you) that critics and audiences seem so divided over films.

21. medium Rob

medium Rob Forum Resident

Thought this was a series, going into it. Lot of cool ideas and a neat premise, but way too many things packed into one movie. It was ok, derivative, barely watchable at parts, but it seemed like a potentially good premise. Could've been a cool series.. disappointing. It doesn't touch Alien Nation (film)

GentleSenator likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.