Jimmy Page says previously unheard Led Zeppelin music will be released for band's 50th anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Dec 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Anything but remixes, please. If I had a band, I would sign a DNR just in case something happens to me: Do Not Remix.

2. I think you'll be safe.

3. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Mr Page's statement at the start of this thread sounds good to me. I have loads of boots/tapes but would love to hear stuff that the band etc approve enter the market place officially. I still think those deluxe boxes with a 96/24 flac download were a jolly good buy and a fitting release for such a great catalogue.

4. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Nooooooooooooooooooo

[​IMG]

Sean, footlooseman and tinnox like this.
  5. Kossoff is God

Kossoff is God Forum Resident

Agree on LZ I. I love the Classic Records Cut.

II sounds like it was mastered from a copy.

I was listening to a Classic records pressing 200g of Presence the other day and it hit me that is sounds too clean. It’s a very raw record that was cut very quickly and it shows on a UK 1st press and US 1st press. The Classic Records is way too polished which takes away some of that energy.

6. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

Page always chooses his words carefully. "all manner of things" to me sounds like more than just record releases. My head says Plant would rather stick pins in his eyes than do it, but my heart is hoping for some kind of brief acoustic gig. Triumph of hope over experience....;)

Flaming Torch likes this.
  7. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

why not?

Original mixes are still available
    :shrug:

And truly some albums would benefit from a remix. LZ IV lack bass, drums on Physical Graffiti sounds godawful, etc

8. The drums on 'In the light' and 'Ten Years Gone' sound godawful?

Vaughan likes this.
  9. Overthehillsandfaraway

And "The Wanton Song"?! The only bad original Zep mix really was In Thru the Out Door where Plant's vocals are indecipherable on In the Evening and Carouselambra

Vaughan likes this.
  10. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

What it makes me think is that the multitracks were being saved for a future archive project (maybe this 2018 one?) Remixes of the albums is one possibility, as well as outtakes/alt takes newly mixed from the surviving multi-tracks.

He said they used old rough mixes as bonus tracks because he wanted to keep everything "of the era" on those bonus discs. Is that strictly true? Maybe, but it could also be true that another reason (perhaps the main reason) is that he had other future plans for the session multitracks.

Just speculation of course, but he may actually be teasing studio material rather than live material. Maybe a Steven Wilson type approach - blu rays of each album with surround mixes as well as a fresh stereo mix, instrumental mixes, outtakes/alt takes etc... along with a blu ray version of the old live double DVD while they're at it.

Anyway that would make some sense of why we only got chewed up old "work in progress" rough mixes that Jimmy had everyone dig through their closets/attics to find, on those recent boxes.

Haggis Wampovich likes this.
  11. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

The rumour over on the Led Zeppelin forum is that it's a live album & it'll be released Summer 2018.

Sean, The Ole' Rocker, J_D__ and 7 others like this.
  12. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

It will be surprising if it is anything else.

13. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Given the elaborate studio albums remastering and companion disc, CD releases, vinyl albums, box sets I seriously doubt they will do another release of the studio albums at this point. The one exception I could see happening is 5.1 releases.

I would bet on some sort of release(s) of live material.

14. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

There are so many prime, credible candidates (Bath, Osaka, Southampton, just to name 3) that I have the sneaking suspicion it'll end up being slightly disappointing (Earls Court)... (but I hope I'm proven wrong!)

IIRC it was intentional on "Carouselambra" since Plant's lyrics were pretty barbed toward their myserious recipient(s), two of whom were rumored to be in the band...

15. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

I’m all in

Sean, steveharris and Mook like this.
  16. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

in all 1974 songs

I can understand that "phaser" effect on Kashmir. But on the other songs, drums sound like being played in a basement car park recorded with cheap microphones

:shake:

17. :shake: indeed.

18. PacificOceanBlue

I will be a bit surprised if it is something other than Earls Court, a project rumored to be in the works for quite some time. And if JP and Davis can make a full-length Earls Court release sound as good as the material sounded on the "DVD," I will look forward to it. That said, there are other tapes, so I would be thrilled to hear some sort of career retrospective from a mixture of concert reels.

19. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

Please, do NOT be Earls Court on it's own! :shake: For me, that would be the ultimate let down and the worse case scenario.

If it turns out not to be a holy grail type item (1968 show, Bath 70, Japan '71, etc) than I'd much prefer say 'How the West Was Won' on vinyl over anything Earls Court.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  20. DrBeatle

I guess for me, that would be a HUGE disappointment. I know not everyone collects boots, but I've had the entire EC run on boot for years, including SBDs for the last two nights and the DVDs for the last two nights. Throw in how much of it is available on the official DVD and it adds up to a big let down if it ends up being the case (and of course, like an idiot, I'll still buy it regardless! :laugh: )

21. Kossoff is God

Kossoff is God Forum Resident

Revive the "How the East was Won" project and make it happen!

22. DrBeatle

Osaka or Bath would be incredible...which is why we probably won't get either.

As I always say in these threads, hang on to your boots, people...:cool:

23. Overthehillsandfaraway

IIRC it was intentional on "Carouselambra" since Plant's lyrics were pretty barbed toward their myserious recipient(s), two of whom were rumored to be in the band...

More likely the targets were one in the band and one managing it! It's a shame since those are some of Plant's best lyrics, showing how much he'd developed from "the darkest depths or Mordor" type stuff over the years

DrBeatle likes this.
  24. DrBeatle

Yep that's what I was alluding to...Page and Grant. Lucky for Plant, those two were so whacked out at that time that they wouldn't even notice.

25. PacificOceanBlue

I think there is a better chance of Osaka and other Japanese 1971 multitracks being released than Bath. As far as I can recall, other than speculation, there has never been confirmation that the band actually has the Bath multitracks. Apparently film for half the concert exists in black and white. Also, if this is truly a standalone live set coming out, I would be surprised if it is something comprised solely of a rarity such as a 1968 show or Bath. I would think it would be something larger in scale and more marketable, like Japan or Earls Court. Still, because it is the 50th anniversary, it is the perfect time for a large-scale chronological live set, where some lower-fidelity gems from 1968 or 1969 could fit alongside pristine multitracks of Southampton and Earls Court. Who knows...fans should receive confirmation about the contents by spring time.

Sean, steveharris and DrBeatle like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.