Doctor Who - Series Ten (10)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Thrillsville, Apr 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

andybeau likes this.
  2. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

He was pretty good in Law & Order, but I agree, far too ITV for me, too.

Dubmart and Andy Smith like this.
  3. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Quite a surprise in choice for the companion. I was hoping they wouldn't go the male route but I figured they would anyway. But the real surprise is the age. I didn't even consider that they would go with an older character. Interesting changes. If the writing is top notch this could all be very interesting.

4. Andy Smith

He'll probably not get the flak and be prejudged abroad as he's not known outside the UK. Anyone else thinking Bonnie Langford?

5. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I remember him in Corrie. Not an obvious candidate, bit old for the Chippendale dancers, but a very good actor. :cool:

6. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

What did people think of this year's Christmas special?

I thought it was fairly good and one of the better Christmas specials (my favorite is still the one that mimicked A Christmas Carol with a Scrooge-like character played by Michael Gambon.)

I liked this story in how they resolved the Doctor's lack of memory about Clara Oswald and bringing back Bill Potts for a final goodbye. It was also a nice way for Peter Capaldi's Doctor to end his tenure and how they tied it together with the first Doctor and both their fears of regenerating. Stephen Moffat's run with the show ended on a good note. And we got to briefly see the new Doctor after the regeneration at the end.

Mike from NYC likes this.
  7. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

There's still half an hour until they screen it here.

8. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

I think it was okay...sometimes this crew makes fine and even inspired episodes. This one came over as if they worked HARD and LONG at the script. Looking forward to the new doctor!

9. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Grossly sentimental, as you might expect, but, hey, I had a tear in my eye.

10. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

On first viewing, I thought it was good. Enjoyed the use of the old scenes and the old Tardis too. Plus, quite funny in places, particularly the lines illustrating how far things have changed in 50 years.

I still Capaldi was just getting into his stride, he looked good with the longer hair and he even sounded a little Tom Baker in places, (not sure if that was deliberate).

11. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

By the usual standard of Christmas 'specials', this was a good one. I thought the humor worked well in conjunction with the sentimentality. It was so good to see Clara again, if too briefly. I thought the Doctor monologued and hammed it up far too much at the end just before he regenerated (I found myself saying just get on with it already!). And they really must stop using notions like the center of the universe!

12. Andy Smith

It was very funny, especially in the first 20 minutes.

Thought his farewell speech was a tad drawn out. Wish Jenna C could have actually been on-set with Bill & Nardole too. Other than these tiny minor points, a marvellous farewell to a marvellous Doctor.

13. Al Smith

Al Smith Forum Resident

I was expecting Macca to show up singing Pipes of Peace during the trenches bit, but thankfully they saved it with a touching tie back to cannon via Mark G’s character.

The introduction of the new Doctor was quite engaging fron the get-go, personally I can’t wait for things to kick off...

FACE OF BOE and Haristar like this.
  14. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

The new season isn’t set to arrive until next fall. That’s too damned long of a wait!

eddiel and Mike from NYC like this.
  15. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Didn't like that whole "The First Doctor is sexist" thing... it's been a few years since I've last seen the old Hartnell episodes but was he ever as misogynistic as Moffat is making out?

16. FACE OF BOE

FACE OF BOE Forum Resident

No the Hartnell's First Doctor wasn't that sexist as the story made out and was largely exaggerated. However in one of the episodes Hartnell's First Doctor does admonish his grand daughter Susan by saying she deserves "a jolly good smacked bottom" (like we heard in the Christmas special).

MaestroDavros likes this.
  17. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

Good send off. Hats off to Peter, he was an excellent doctor and will be missed.

18. beccabear67

I don't have a DVR so going to have to cross fingers for on-demand to see this. For one showing we are eating dins, but for the other the main tv was taken up with snoring oldsters with a daft u.s. football game (20-0) with shrieking ads and some guy taken away by ambulance. Grrrr. Another room with a tv set has someone napping, another is the guest bedroom and you don't go in there, and even the last choice in the cellar is off limits because it would be anti-social of me. I see the hand of Missy (or The Master) in all this! I hope I get to see the special eventually. :cry:

19. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

Is it just me, or did anyone else here get a David Tennant 10th Doctor-vibe from Jodie's wide-eyed mouth agape reaction to her reflection?

20. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Not unless he also thought dude looked like a lady! :D

Al Smith and Flippikat like this.
  21. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

No. But what gets me is why the Doctor always retreats back to the TARDIS when it ALWAYS results in its malfunction. EVERY. SINGLE TIME.

Al Smith likes this.
  22. Al Smith

Al Smith Forum Resident

:laugh: I was thinking the same thing - you’d have thought the Tardis would be ready for it by now (automatic fire extinguishers perhaps, or simply keep the door locked until the Doctor cools down).

Guess it’s the (unnecesary) plot device required to rebuild the set.

23. Andy Smith

I was thinking a hint of Marge Simpson.

Al Smith likes this.
  24. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

Well. When did the reboot just become about the Dr and not actually be a story? Self referential claptrap that's disappeared up it's own fundament. Like TP said, "Time to move on." "Doctor, I let you go." Right, 'Shada' dvd.

klaatuhf likes this.
  25. beccabear67

I'm glad to say it, and the mini 'goodbye to Peter Capaldi', were available on-demand, so I got there in the end (or on Boxing Day actually). You were all so worried for me! :cool:

I think the Doctor has had to be in or near the Tardis to have a good regeneration (although why Colin Baker's Doctor started off strangling the assistant escapes me now, and he was in the Tardis). #1 became #2 in it, #3 stumbled out of it, #4 debuted just outside it. #5 Peter Davison would've died without getting to the Tardis. #8 was the first one to be well away from it and he seemed quite fully developed... so hoo nose really. 'Who' knows?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.