Magical Mystery Tour Movie...Fifty Years ago today

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by gramfan, Dec 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gramfan

gramfan Forum Resident Thread Starter

First aired in Black and White on Boxing Day on this day...think ill watch it tonight....Happy Holidays!

2. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

It's certainly more enjoyable in color and with the audio upgraded to stereo/surround sound.

dlokazip and gramfan like this.
  3. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

BBC1 (which was still broadcast in B&W) made the mistake of airing it. It should have gone to BBC2 (which was already now broadcast in color) instead. Maybe then, it would have been better received on opening night.

4. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

Also, IMDB says the beach scene with Ivor Cutler and Jessie Robins was cut originally. I'm guessing it was because it was in a 50 minute timeslot, and they needed room for promos and IDs just after the program was over, and just before the news. MMT originally aired after a Petula Clark special.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    O Don Piano likes this.
  5. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

I always cut that scene too..........
    I’d much have Cutler’s scene out in the field or Traffic’s scene in its place.

6. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Ringo & Jessie Robbins arguing about Uncle Jack on the bus is pretty entertaining, the bus singalong is pretty good too. I think little Nicola was the only sober person on the bus at that point.

Keith V likes this.
  7. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

I think you'll find BBC 2 broadcast in colour. :p

8. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

I'm gonna celebrate by watching the film at exactly 12:35 p.m. PST. It was 8:35 p.m. in London when the British first saw it.

And the print I will be watching is the 1988 VHS release, with the correct variation of the title track at the start of the film.

Jerry Horne likes this.
  9. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I have the VHS. This is my fave Beatles movie.

forthlin and Vahan like this.
  10. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I plan to watch the bluray tonight. Now how do I make it black & white to get the authentic experience?

11. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

not really since few watched BBC2 and even less had colour sets, however it was made for colour television in mind so it was meant to be - and was - repeated on BBC2 in full colour a week later.

It was quite common practice for BBC2 colour shows to be repeated on BBC 1 in black and white during this period, but it was unusual to happen the other way around as did here.

beccabear67 and Vahan like this.
  12. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Has anyone ever taken a mystery tour? They used to be quite popular for a day out. I remember seeing the characters in some British shows do them... on I Didn't Know You Cared and Coronation Street.

13. beccabear67

We didn't get a colour set until 1977 I think, sometime between the first and second series of Space: 1999 anyway. Maybe this is why that B&W Minstrel Show finally came to an end around then, only the last few holdouts still had only B&W sets! :laugh:

Vahan likes this.
  14. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Wally Stott( now Angela Morley)
    was a minstrel.
    Scott Walker arranger.
    Also,Hancock's Half Hour composer.

beccabear67 likes this.
  15. muffmasterh

actually the minstrels i think came to an end because it was just plain awful and attitudes finally caught up with it , it was actually quite a colourful show and one of those that benefited from colour television, however i always hated it just as i always hated Jimmy Saville, was never sure why but there was just something not right about them. TW3's parody of it back in 63 with Millicent Martin should have told people then why this kind of programme was no longer acceptable.

beccabear67 likes this.
  16. muffmasterh

there are other shows that i never liked as a little kid which i came to love with later viewings, Man in a Suitcase, Public Eye, but that was never going to change with the Minstrels, didn't have much time for the Young Generation either.

17. beccabear67

I always try to imagine Bob Marley's reaction to that show if he happened to turn on ITV when he was in England in the '70s. You had to go back to '30s-'40s movies/cartoons nobody showed (unless edited) anymore for a U.S. equivalent.

18. muffmasterh

there was already large West indian community watching TV when this show was on and yo do wonder how offended they were by it, or maybe they just regarded it as irrelevant as the minstrels was more a southern US type heritage, Remember Al Jolson was doing the same kind of thing in the 20's and he was widely still revered years later so you do wonder.

It offended me just on the grounds of musical taste before we even get to the white men blacking up thing.

beccabear67 likes this.
  19. bldg blok

bldg blok Forum Resident

I tried to watch a MMT DVD that was part of a 4 pack including Help!, Making of AHDN, and the Maysles Bros. First US Visit doc. It's a washed out print and I dozed during Blue Jay Way. Love the album, but not so much with the film.

20. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

The 1988 VHS is a much better transfer IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.