Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson 2016/2017 Digital Remasters

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tlake6659, Mar 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordfalconer

lordfalconer Forum Resident

I would really like the surround mixes re-issued, they are pretty pricey now and I heard they were quite compressed?

Plan9 likes this.
  2. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

I have the DVD-A as well, but would love to get the new mastering in hi-res.

Plan9 and gary191265 like this.
  3. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

They sound pretty good to me but my surround system is fairly low end.

4. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

No CD? no remixes? No Blu Ray?

:shake:

5. DaverJ, dobyblue and ponkine like this.
  6. gary191265

I imagine they'll be along shortly. If nothing else, Steven Wilson knows his demographic and their bottomless, middle-aged pockets!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    Thepridg, mando_dan, Drew769 and 2 others like this.
  7. lordfalconer

lordfalconer Forum Resident

Sadly this middle aged fellow can’t afford to shell out for expensive box sets just to get his surround mixes of Roxy Music & Rush :-(

8. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

The original Facebook Post mentioned CDs later in 2018... And then they edited it out, presumably so people would buy the vinyl in belief that's all we're getting for now, and then later they'll double dip for the CD issues. I saw the original post and have decided to hold off for a digital release, CD or even better some form of hi-res files!

9. Burning Shed confirmed that digital releases would come later next year. See the link I posted above.

10. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Porcupine Tree classics 'In Absentia' and 'Deadwing' to be reissued on vinyl in 2018 - Steven Wilson

PORCUPINE TREE CLASSICS ‘IN ABSENTIA’ AND ‘DEADWING’ TO BE REISSUED ON VINYL IN 2018

DECEMBER 7, 2017

Two of the most popular Porcupine Tree releases, In Absentia and Deadwing, have been acquired by Kscope and will be given long awaited reissues on vinyl in February and March, with new CD editions to follow later in 2018. For the first time since their original release, both albums have also been remastered with considerably less compression / limiting, and consequently the albums are now a more dynamic listening experience.

In Absentia was the band’s seventh studio album, first released in 2002, and the first in a run of 3 albums that for many represent the pinnacle of the band’s artistic achievements (myself included). Following on from 2000’s Lightbulb Sun it had a distinctly heavier tone, partly due to a shift in musical interests, but also the addition to the line-up of the exceptional Gavin Harrison on drums. It was our first for major label Lava / Atlantic Records and features several of Porcupine Tree’s most loved songs, including “Trains”, “The Sound of Muzak” and “Blackest Eyes”.

The follow up album Deadwing from 2005 was based on a film screenplay written in collaboration with my friend, director Mike Bennion. About half of the songs were started with a view to being part of the score to that film, but when it failed to move into the production stage, they instead became the foundation for the next PT album, with additional material written in collaboration with the band. The album features some of my favourite PT songs, including “Lazarus”, “Mellotron Scratch” and “Arriving Somewhere But Not Here”.

These new vinyl editions will be released on double heavyweight audiophile 180g vinyl presented in gatefold packaging. Deadwing has been out of print on vinyl for many years, so I know that one will be particularly welcome.

Both albums are available to pre-order now from Burning Shed. Headphone Dust will also stock them nearer the release dates. In addition to regular black vinyl, special limited coloured vinyl editions will be exclusive to both mail order outlets. Deadwing is released on 23rd February 2018, and In Absentia on 9th March 2018.

[​IMG]

FVDnz, seasonsinthesky and Runicen like this.
  11. seasonsinthesky

seasonsinthesky orphan coal, sleep, etc.

BS lists Deadwing with bonus tracks (like the original pressing), but not IA, which sadly lacks "Chloroform."

I wonder if SW is planning to do the Futile EP on vinyl, remastered as well. That'd be great!

12. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

This practice makes me absolutely insane. The only thing I'm interested in (physically) from these sets is the surround mixes.

oneway23, Plan9, gary191265 and 3 others like this.
  13. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Have ordered both (badly wanted Deadwing for years, already have 2 copies of IA but those use the compressed original mastering).

Going back a little bit - anyone here have the recent Lightbulb Sun Kscope re-issue 2LP? Reason I ask is that it was never mentioned in the listing about any kind of different/new mastering so I assumed it used the same masters as the Tonefloat press. Turns out that on the sticker it says it's a new SW remastering...

I know the album was remixed and remastered in 2007 for the CD/DVD-A release. When Kscope re-issued it on CD in 2016 (I think - it's the latest press) there was no mention of a remaster so I never picked it up.

EDIT: for some reason I thought the 2007 master was still quite compressed (DR8ish) but turns out it's DR10, so it likely didn't need another remaster. I shall have to dig out my Tonefloat press as it's been a few years since I played it and I do remember it being a good press.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    Anaon likes this.
  14. gary191265

I say 'screw 'em' and download the surround mixes with no guilt whatsoever, given the money I spend on music.

walrus likes this.
  15. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

I have no self-control. Just ordered the In Absentia white vinyl too.

16. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

I have been interested in two albums in particular:
    1-Stupid Dream
    2-Lightbub Sun
    With the rest of the albums that I already have so far I am satisfied. I see that now they come in "digipack or mini-lp" and I'm not really excited about this presentation for the cds
    What is the opinion of those who have bought these new editions on CD? I imagine they include some kind of Inner CD Sleeves
    There's nothing more pathetic than a new scratched CD

audio quality? Better than the previous ones?

17. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I don't own these editions, but I've long been under the impression that PT stuff gets reissued in new packaging with no substantive changes to the music. It's only been lately with SW issuing the "uncompressed" or "less compressed" versions of albums digitally direct through his own site that I've seen that change.

So, I can't say conclusively, but I'd say that these editions are sonically the same as those previous. I would suspect that the packaging is delightful though - and likely includes inner sleeves to boot (probably paper).

danielbravo likes this.
  18. Matt S

Matt S Forum Resident

All Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree releases I have bought in the mini-lp sleeves are packaged like a gatefold LP, complete with paper inner sleeves to protect the CD from scratches. I quite like this style of packaging - while I prefer jewel cases, if we have to have digipacks this is the way to do it.

Runicen and danielbravo like this.
  19. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

They're the same as the 2006-7 remixes CDs (better sounding to me than the original mixes).

Runicen, danielbravo and Matt S like this.
  20. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

I was just thinking that it (Futile EP) could be the RSD release SW mentioned recently. Might not be of course but it would fit the timeline of releases.

seasonsinthesky likes this.
  21. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

My only interest for this series is hi res surround! I can’t listen to SW any other way at this point.

walrus and lordfalconer like this.
  22. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member Thread Starter

While the new remasters of Blackfield, Blackfield II and Insurgentes sound much better than the original masterings, it is disappointing to see that there is still some peak limiting on them.

23. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Picked up the Kscope reissue of Lightbulb Sun on clear 2LP. Anyone struggle to track this properly? Sounds fine overall but I am hearing some distortion on some of the crash cymbal hits - Most apparent during 'The Rest Will Flow', especially near the closing where there are a lot of china cymbal hits. I even compared against the 2010 Tonefloat pressing I have and it's on there too. Checked the CD and hi-res and it's not so bad on there (although it still sounds a bit ''hot'' there also). Just wondered if anyone else noticed it or it's just me?

It's got me thinking about my arm/cart set-up... Strange as I've played at least 50-odd records over the past few months with no issue. Even just had the new Deadwing press on with no such issues.

24. piole

piole Active Member

So new Balckfield, Blackfield II, Fear remasters are avaliable only in CD audio format? No hi-res audio?

25. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

I understand sibilance, in most cases it is a cartridge alignment issue. Again, I don't have any of it on my copy. To me "heavy" sibilance would infer to a hot recording similar to the recent LZ reissues in some spots. I don't get anything like that on any of my PT records.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.