"Roll Up!"; 50th Anniversary of Magical Mystery Tour - The Beatles

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mBen989, Nov 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Apparently, they WEREN"T so appalled. as they didn't seem to have any problem cashing the checks from Capitol. :D
    Sales of the Capitol albums dwarfed all other labels/countries sales.

2. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

They had a clause in the new Capitol contract that they couldn't release product without their consent - or something like that. They weren't happy that's for sure. Who could blame them? Meet The Beatles was one thing but butchering Revolver was another

3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Partial blame for the butchering of Revolver though lies with George Martin. He sent I'm Only Sleeping, And Your Bird Can Sing, and Dr Robert to Capitol. Instead he should have told Capitol to just add Paperback Writer and Rain to Yesterday & Today. I wonder though if Martin told the Beatles that he doing that, or asked their approval, or if they never knew until after the album came out.

ajsmith likes this.
  4. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Yeah but the UK albums sold the same in the US. The one real difference is a few extra albums

5. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Good point and you would think The Beatles or Brian must have green lit the sending of the Revolver tracks

6. Arnold Grove

I really don't know. Sometimes, Martin did stuff without telling the others since they were too busy being on tour or whatnot. You'd think that Martin would have told Brian at least, but who knows. It just happened though that the 3 songs siphoned off Revolver were John's songs. Was that deliberate? Completely coincidental? Did John feel they were throwaways (he did feel that way about Dr Robert) and consented to Martin's sending of them to Capitol?

I'm sure that Lewisohn will devote a chapter in his next book to this very subject.

7. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

It's yet another Beatles mystery - don't think John would have thought that at the time when they were new. Perhaps someone should ask Paul?

8. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

It's an odd album in that it contains some of their absolute best songs while also including some of their most obvious filler. That said, the strength of the great songs outweighs the filler, such that I'd probably cite Magical Mystery Tour as my favorite Beatles album.

9. John Porcellino

John Porcellino Forum Resident

This is why MMT is usually my fave Fabs lp (it jockeys with the White Album for my top spot). I love the psych period, from Paperback Writer through Glass Onion, but the MMT stuff sounds like a psych band that has already proved its classicist power (on Sgt. Pepper's) and is now letting the weird, frayed edges show. Walrus is creepy and dark, Flying is groovy and fun, Rich Man is a jam. Penny Lane is classicist in the Pepper's mold (natch), but SFF pointed the way toward this post-Pepper's band... Freaky, sonically unpredictable, a little loose.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    ajsmith likes this.
  10. slane

slane Forum Resident

As I've said elsewhere, my guess is that Capitol requested some new songs. Without the 3 new songs, Y&T would have only had 2 songs not already released on US singles.

ajsmith likes this.
  11. Arnold Grove

Oh yes, it would make sense for Capitol to ask for new songs. It also would make sense for George Martin and/or Brian Epstein to say "no"---but they didn't.

slane likes this.
  12. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I would say that the filler of the Yellow Submarine album is far more 'filling' than anything on MMT. In fact, there is no filler on MMT... :)

13. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

Remember also when discussing Capitol vs UK versions that the retail price of albums were MUCH cheaper in North America than they were in Europe. The typical price (in US dollars) for a European 14 track album was about $6.50 for mono and $7.50 for stereo. In the U.S., albums went for about $3.00 for mono and $3.50 for stereo at retail. Royalties cost money and were calculated in different ways for Europe vs North America.

14. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

I got a UK EP of this recently and was surprised that the pages inside the LP were also in the EP.
    I skipped a lot of lunch at school to save money for MMT in '68 but it was worth it.
    I love the fact back then that I got Strawberry Fields Forever and I Am The Walrus on a new clean LP because my singles were trashed out, also that they were on a proper album and not relegated in history as "B" sides on a single.

I love Flying (psychedelic man!), also love Fool On The Hill and I thought it was cool when Sérgio Mendes And Brasil '66 covered it

Keith V and ajsmith like this.
  15. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

I strongly concur as to MMT being one of my favorite Beatles albums.
    Capitol did something right with this one, and even other countries took note.
    It is a brilliant sequence of songs, and flows like honey.
    Love the mono best, but also love the stereo. Perfect after Sgt. Pepper.
    A superb LP package all around.

16. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Especially Side 2.

petem1966 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.