Amazon really messed up shipping some vinyl.

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Sick Sick Phil, Dec 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sick Sick Phil

Sick Sick Phil Forum Resident Thread Starter

I got my mail today and I had a copy of the Beatles past masters on Vinyl that I ordered for a gift. It was shipped with no outside packaging. Just a mailing sticker on the out side of the cover. I'm sending it back, I just don't know how they can mess up so bad.

Defrance likes this.
  2. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Had this happen two weeks ago. Sent them a nasty note but kept the vinyl. No point in sending something to a landfill if it plays. You should at least try the record...

3. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Pics?
    Was it damaged?

RyanTark likes this.
  4. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Unless you are obsessive about packaging...shouldn’t you try it first? The cover on mine (Minstrel in Gallery) was dinged but the vinyl was fine. A repress was never going to be worth a ton on resale. I can’t listen to the cover anyway. ;)

5. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

I’d inform Amazon, the feedback would be valuable to them, to help improve their processes...

Tuco and Spear and Magic Helmet like this.
  6. Sick Sick Phil

The record is a gift and the jacket already has ring wear and scratches on the cover.

ParloFax and Strat-Mangler like this.
  7. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

Due to poor shipping practices, they had to send me 3 copies of the new Black Sabbath live LP, “The End”, and even then the third copy still had minor damage. They’ve become too big for their britches, with troglodytes working in their vinyl shipping rooms.

8. Sick Sick Phil

Oh I did.

9. Sick Sick Phil

If just had some corner dented I would be ok with it but the cover looks like a record from the 70's that wasn't taken care of. If it was found in the $1 bin it would be ok, but it wasn't a $1 record.

Defrance likes this.
  10. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

I've never run into that - they're usually in those single-wrap cardboard packs, with a small sticker saying what it contains.

Though once, the sticker was incorrect - I had ordered a Built To Spill record (which is what the sticker said), but inside was a Grateful Dead record. So that was weird.

But yeah, if they mailed a record with NO outer wrapping, I'd be pissed - that's some lazy BS!

11. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Wow. How on earth can it get ring wear. I'm guessing it was sealed. Did some of the plastic wrap come away?

12. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

13. Defrance

Defrance A Northern Soul

I had that happen to me once for a Paul Weller reissue from Amazon.ca. Needless to say, that one was exchanged for a new copy. I was paying for a Mint sleeve, not a VG-. :)

Man at C&A likes this.
  14. Sick Sick Phil

It was mostly sealed with some scratch type marks. Stuff must have been laid on top of the record to get ring wear. It was only on the back cover but it is noticeable.

15. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I agree, especially given the price of new records.

16. Spear and Magic Helmet

Spear and Magic Helmet Forum Resident

Absolutely not. The seller did not exercise due diligence getting the product to his/her buyer in as clost to perfect condition as possible. Just slapping a shipping label on the cover is thoughtless and a terrible way to do business!

Frosst, ParloFax, Turmatic and 4 others like this.
  17. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yeah, I ordered Elvis Costello's Get Happy! on vinyl and they didn't seem to know how to package it to avoid ringwear. It's a travesty.

18. The Trinity

I totally agree with you. I paid $69.99 plus tax for my Black Sabbath album, and although I don’t expect perfection (I hope for it though), when I see that they have failed to meet any reasonable expectation of proper handling, I push the issue until they get it right. I was the biggest Amazon fan you could find, and now I am exercising bricks and mortar options to always buying from the monkeys at Amazon.

Benno123 likes this.
  19. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

You can’t fault Amazon for sorting problems. They always have sorted things out for me
    I ordered some Kiss records from Amazon Germany at around €15 each instead of the price on Amazon UK of £23-£36 each. When I did check-out they went through at 3 for 2 as well.
    Shame they arrived with splits in the top. All packed in separate cardboard mailers and each of those was in the same box, so they tried.

20. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

I guess at year-end they want to ship quickly so that people get those before christmas : speed before quality !

21. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Had a guy from Japan send me a guitar that way. A $10,000 guitar.
    No packaging.
    Just a case with a Fed Ex waybill taped to it. By the time it got here, one strip of packing tape was all that was holding it closed. All the latches had popped and been broken off...

Tuco, Defrance and Strat-Mangler like this.
  22. The Trinity

ばかげた

Tuco likes this.
  23. Spear and Magic Helmet

Spear and Magic Helmet Forum Resident

Curious what the result of this was? Did you get another case?

24. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

I am surprised that you guys are shocked by amazon. They are not an online record specialty retailer. You are ordering records from a retailer that also ships toilet paper on a conveyor belt by warehouse workers. You honestly believe with all the handling these records get by the time they land in your hands there won't be damage? I don't think the few bucks you save its worth it. The professional record online retailers offer free shipping and occasional 15% and 20% off. The packaging is first rate.

25. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

Maybe Amazon ran out of mailer boxes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.