Amazon really messed up shipping some vinyl.

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Sick Sick Phil, Dec 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spear and Magic Helmet

Spear and Magic Helmet Forum Resident

I figured they would. Glad they're making it right.

2. Sick Sick Phil

Sick Sick Phil Forum Resident Thread Starter

The album I got wasn't from a 3rd party. I even got the autorip of the album

Myke likes this.
  3. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

Yeah, I don't think it's always the case. But I had never noticed the 'box' footnote until I went back and looked. Shipping an album without a box is essentially asking for trouble. I can't imagine one arriving without a dinged corner.

Myke likes this.
  4. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

That's like saying B-Dubs has run out of sauce. Time to close up shop when that happens.

JasonA and Myke like this.
  5. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

Amazon's focus was always customer service - provide the customer with the best experience possible. Slowly, they began focusing on reducing costs versus maximizing value for customers. This has impact their supply chain operations and the OP's experience is a prime example of that (no pun intended ... well - maybe lol). Their supply chain scorecard once had "green dot" performance tagged at 100% across the board. This is no longer the case which is why customers - including myself - have recently been receiving damaged media due to inadequate packing at point of origin

6. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Punk

Mmm, have seen stuff all over the web about that, and in the UK about their head office in Slough.... :-/

I stopped using them some time ago for those reasons and researched or stuck to the best independents, such as the Elvis Shop London or Action Records Preston (near Manchester). Small staff businesses with top customer service and perfect packaging. The good ones are out there, all over the world. Might not be quite as cheap, but missing out just one non essential purchase from your list that you would have made from amazon per week, or month, will make up the difference.

E.Baba likes this.
  7. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

With Amazon's return policy, things like this are just minor inconveniences. Ask for a return and it's on the way...along with a prepaid shipping label for the defective item.
    And they warranty even when not their fault. Can't beat that!
    Only regret I've had with Amazon is not purchasing their stock many moons ago!!!:kilroy:

8. But relying on the experience of some folks on this forum - this is hearsay on my part - if you "push the issue" because you keep getting a defective or otherwise unacceptable item, after a certain number of claims, you become blacklisted by Amazon as a buyer... If true, well that certainly can be beat...

E.Baba likes this.
  9. Timothy Fiacco

Timothy Fiacco Captain Coconut

I ordered Jimi Hendrix Axis: Bold As Love vinyl from Amazon, and it is on the way. I hope it makes it okay! They use some funky tracking number that starts with TBA, I have seen this type of tracking number once before on a previous Amazon order. A white van with no logos dropped that package off at 7:30 P.M. EST. Has anyone else ever have this experience with Amazon? I have ordered from BullMoose in the past and was very satisfied in their shipping procedures.

10. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

Always ask for a gift box. They put the LP mailer inside an oversize box with air pillows.

Dave, E.Baba, GroovyGuy and 2 others like this.
  11. I do think some folks are just way too picky about a click here and a click there. I've purchased thousands of items from Amazon and I've had to exchange about 5.

When I worked in record stores in the 70s there were a couple of guys who we actually told NOT to shop at our store anymore for returning items over and over again that had really minor issues. This was at the height of record buying.

12. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

I don't know if this is still the case, but some items that were bought directly from Amazon, were fulfilled by another vendor. Amazon just takes the order and passes it along. I think Baker & Taylor did music and video for Amazon once upon a time. Still no excuse for bad packing and shipping.

13. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Definitely true. A search of the archives here proves it. There's a member of this forum that had to sneak back in via a different e mail address, which I found amusing since he badmouthed Amazon not only on this forum, but at least one other I know of personally.

ParloFax likes this.
  14. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Definitely true. And it takes more than a new email address to get back on Amazon. In fact, many people simply give up because Amazon's fraud detection systems are too good. They can track you by email, by credit card, by physical address. Typically, you would need to change all three--and even then there are databases and services they use that can link you back to your original account. And when they do--another ban.

PaulM and ParloFax like this.
  15. Myke

You're right ! I forgot the credit card.

16. [QUOTE="Mazzy, post: 17793009, member: 22103"]I do think some folks are just way too picky about a click here and a click there. I've purchased thousands of items from Amazon and I've had to exchange about 5.

When I worked in record stores in the 70s there were a couple of guys who we actually told NOT to shop at our store anymore for returning items over and over again that had really minor issues. This was at the height of record buying.[/QUOTE]

I absolutely agree. But that's beside the point. Amazon won't check a click on a record anyway. It's the mere principle of being blacklisted by a giant like them, just because you keep getting screwed repeatedly, that's scary enough to me...

Dave, E.Baba and Mazzy like this.
  17. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

Nothing makes me more furious than damaged LP jackets. I absolutely LOATHE seam splits. UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED in the item description, when I pay for something online I expect to receive it in 100% mint condition. If I don't, it goes back. Amazon (due to the size of their organization) drops the ball more than other retailers, but they're the easiest to deal with in my experience. As others have said, they'll usually keep sending copies until you're happy. Only once can I think of a time that they wanted the defective album back (it was a box set). Usually they tell me to "donate it." The fact that anyone in their shipping department would think it's OK to slap a label directly on a jacket and drop it in the mail is rather disgusting. They wouldn't think of doing that with a book, would they? When it comes to sellers on Discogs and eBay, when they sell it as sealed and mint and it shows up with a seam split or dinged corner I blow a gasket. Occasionally they have the attitude that "you don't play the jacket." That's a B.S. attitude. If you were selling them the same condition record they most certainly would not accept it damaged in any way.

The Trinity and Myke like this.
  18. Myke

19. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Closer to italy so almost perfect

ibanez_ax likes this.
  20. I absolutely agree. But that's beside the point. Amazon won't check a click on a record anyway. The mere principle of being blacklisted by a giant like them, just because you keep getting screwed repeatedly, is scary enough...[/QUOTE]

I agree with the black list thing but I feel (maybe wrongly) that someone, if they really are backlisted, might just deserve it? If I were returning a lot of product to them, I would go out of my way to contact them and write about the problems I have.

Of course there are instances when a particular record pressing has a bad batch. or when there are shipping issues, but I do feel (again just my opinion) that some folks are way too picky. My guess is you returned three of the same album title back to Music Direct or Soundstage, they would tell you to choose something different rather than continuing to send the same album over and over again.

Slick Willie likes this.
  21. Myke

22. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

They could've just called me, I have a bunch of them piling up in the corner.

Mazzy and JasonA like this.
  23. Myke

7 years worth in a closet here. :agree:

Gaslight likes this.
  24. Slick Willie

True, but you and I do not know of their history and reasons for return.
    And I'm sure all places have their limits.

25. Slick Willie

I agree with the black list thing but I feel (maybe wrongly) that someone, if they really are backlisted, might just deserve it? If I were returning a lot of product to them, I would go out of my way to contact them and write about the problems I have.

Of course there are instances when a particular record pressing has a bad batch. or when there are shipping issues, but I do feel (again just my opinion) that some folks are way too picky. My guess is you returned three of the same album title back to Music Direct or Soundstage, they would tell you to choose something different rather than continuing to send the same album over and over again.[/QUOTE]

I have noticed that if they are getting heavy returns on an album, they put it on hold until it can be sorted out.
    Perhaps the bad batch thingie you speak of?

Mazzy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.