Star Wars: Who are Rey's parents?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jason Manley, Nov 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Really the only reason I might still be on the fence about her parents is... if they were dirt-poor scrap merchants from Jakku, who sold her to to Unkar Plutt, then why were they shown leaving in a space ship in Rey's vision?

Encuentro likes this.
  2. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Yeah, good point. Kylo said they sold her for liquor, though he probably meant that figuratively. One would think that they received a great deal of money for Rey, enough to afford them a ship that would take them off-world.

3. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

That's the kindest interpretation.

The un-kind interpretation is the first movie was not written by the same person who wrote the second movie, and the first writer thought it was important, and the second one did not.

4. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Well, it’s not really an interpretation. It’s more of a theory, as this plot point has yet to be resolved. We still have one more movie to go.

5. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

But Kylo specifically says they were buried in a pauper's grave on Jakku.

I believe that's actually closer to the truth. I had originally thought that Abrams and Kasdan had mapped out a general outline of all three movies, and were planning on leaving it up to the subsequent screenwriters and directors to fill in the details with their respective movies. But now my understanding is that Johnson was basically told he could do what he wanted and take the story wherever he wished. So it's very possible that Abrams/Kasdan envisioned (one of?) Rey's parents being important, and Johnson decided not to use that idea.

Encuentro likes this.
  6. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

But neither one knew they were siblings (“somehow I’ve always known” is obviously more about a gut feeling than that she literally “always knew”. Let’s use common sense with that phrase.) and it was just a kiss so it wasn’t the big deal some like to make it.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    ianuaditis likes this.
  7. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I don’t recall that line, but yes, that would be inconsistent with Rey’s vision. Perhaps, it was wishful thinking on her part, or perhaps, as has been pointed out, it’s a writing inconsistency.

8. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

Well, to be fair, wasting time on that would have meant less time for General Hux comedy sketches, which is what the fans really wanted.

Wounded Land and mpayan like this.
  9. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Kylo lied about her killing Snoke. He is a dirt bag. He most likely lied about her parents also. They probably were sold to the New Order as slaves to build that Mega Death Star thingie in TFA.

10. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Nothing like a villain with witty comedy.

Peace N. Love and vinnie like this.
  11. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

It had nothing to do with "wasting time" on her backstory and history. Johnson made a conscious decision to make her the child of nobodies. He was intentionally trying to make the point (further emphasized by Luke's teachings, and by the last scene the movie) that the Force isn't some special power that only certain people are "allowed" to have (or, in the Skywalker Family, inherit). But, in fact, it something that everyone has access to, and it's up to the individual to harness and focus its power.

ad180 and Encuentro like this.
  12. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

Why she even need to have any parents? Anakin had just a mother, so Rey could be even more advanced, being a 100 percent midichlorian creature...

ianuaditis likes this.
  13. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

You said the M word :yikes:

Peace N. Love and delmonaco like this.
  14. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

let the force be with me...;)

15. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

Was I the only one who suspected Lucas sneaked onto the set and secretly directed parts of Last Jedi? Might account for the occasionally prequel-esque vibes. And, yeah, I said the P word...

16. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I don’t have s problem with midichlorians, and I’m not a fan of the prequels. The Force has always had a biological component. The Force surrounds and binds all living things.

ianuaditis likes this.
  17. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

I was talking to a guy tonight and he said in some press confrence there was literature that listed Ray Kenobi as a character. Anyone else hear of this?

18. Desi and Lucy?

GentleSenator likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.