The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING

Same here.Right out the gate ,I was all over this and I can honestly say even Devin's vocals didn't totally blow my mind on this release. Nor could he save it (mainly being toned down and somewhat tamed for S&R ?But, I was curious about this SYL band that SV said was really heavy though and that led me to waiting for City to come out.!That was the positive out of buying this cassette and reading Guitar Player interviews....Devin!

EDIT; After soaking up City and Ocean Machine and the Infinity /EP .I was able to relisten to S&R with a bit more respect for Devin or just the fact at this point of my Devin-mania I was going through back then I was considerably more lenient and forgiving of his role on S&R, possibly?:laugh:

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

IMO it's overproduced and DT's vocals are buried too deep in the mix.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. Natvecal.

Unfortunately ,that's SV's trademark "Overproduced". I like Vai and always will-but, you hit it on the nail .Over production is his bane. IMHO

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

The title track, Here & Now, In My Dreams with You, Pig , & Deep Down Into Pain are good songs. The video edit for DDITP is much better than the 8:01 album version with over 3 min chopped off. The 2 videos and the Jay Leno appearance are totally wacko, entertaining though.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

What do you think of the new Godflesh?

6. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

I liked it. It sounds more of the same which is not a bad thing in the least.

Brenald79 likes this.
  7. Natvecal.

Question here; did you guys hear this album before the later releases or afterwards? Curious......
    Apart from @slipkid 's post ( and @Crush Everything & @GodShifter liking slipkid's comments) it seems this '78 Live album doesn't have the impact it did for me back in '78/'79? I have mentioned this album on other threads and it seems the same response (the other Live albums better it) And for all I know it's you slipkid responding each time I post about this album ha ha:D ....... anyway I don't disagree at all on this point first off. But, given back then with even TOTU (side two being live) as the only other live source at time and IMHP not as strong. I find Frank's sound just huge on this and yeah there's blues,R&R tunes but, the song below (Talkin' 'Bout A Feeling) from the snare strike to cymbal crash as FM slides down the neck of his guitar to the opening riff of this song still gives me goosebumps of yeah Frank to this day! One one my favorite heavy grooves by him ( yes I know the verse riff is a bit Purple Haze-ish and duly noted ) but in 1978 this is one heavy hard rockin' sound that for this time period holds up to all other live albums of the period is really my point for the praise of this album.IMHO:agree:

Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush - Talkin' 'Bout A Feeling

Plus he kills Purple Haze
    as a young guitarist the neck slides Frank does inbetween riffs was a huge influence on my playing even before hearing EVH doing this. Love the echo on Frank's voice on this whole album(to some maybe too much?) not me though! I don't know maybe it was just me but, this album is right behind JP 's Unleashed... for me and at least FM&MR LIVE was true live!:laugh:
    below is a great example of those slides

Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush - Purple Haze(1978)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    slipkid and GodShifter like this.
  8. GodShifter

Frank Marino is one of my favorite guitarists in rock. Top 3 easily (maybe #1) overall but when I’m asked about his best live albums I always refer to REALLive from the early 2000’s. It’s a great double album with Frank ripping it up in a club.

I personally don’t care for the album you like, but I don’t hate it at all. I just agree that the later live albums are better.

slipkid and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. Natvecal.

Gotcha on what your preferences are and agree the latter Live releases are great even better.Forgive my wording. I could have worded this better it seems. So, For me it's not what's better as much as what was the first FM you or @slipkid (knowing already you're both big fans)heard that made you go ,"Wow ,I dig this guy!" is what I'm curious about.What was the first release that got you pumped about him and when? FM&MR Live was mine and heard at a friends house in very late HS(78/79) prior to this ,I didn't even know who this was.No clue. Can't even recall any radio memories of hearing FM & Mahogany Rush at all until later as just FM with the Strange Dreams hit in (81?)So this was my who the heck is this guy ? I can't believe what I'm hearing album. That's what I'm wondering about you guys if that makes sense ? Because by the sound of it ,it wasn't this album,right? So what Album got you and @slipkid (if you're reading this) stoked on FM?:)

GodShifter and slipkid like this.
  10. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I heard it back when it came out in the '70's. A friend had it, probably because we were all getting into Hendrix at the time. I liked it enough to explore Frank's catalog further but most of it back then was too weird/spacey or funky for me. At that point my Franksploration was out of order though, I got what I could at record stores and mail order/cutouts, had no idea what came out when/what sequence until I got them, which is a weird way to explore an artist, jumping around in time.

Although I liked some of IV and World Anthem, the first album I bought as a brand new release (Tales of the Unexpected) was extremely disappointing. I thought it was absolutely dreadful and it kinda put me off him for awhile. I thought it had one of the worst versions of All Along the Watchtower ever, which was a huge letdown since I liked that song so much (Jimi's version) and wanted to hear what Frank would do with it.

Luckily the next Frank album to come out was What's Next (I even remember the used record store that I bought that at, was a white label promo/cutout IIRC) and that was finally what I wanted to hear from Frank, no weirdness/funk just the hard rock/blues stuff like the live album. Then I saw him live in a small club somewhere around that time and the show blew me away, almost a religious experience. Started collecting live Frank shows on cassette through trading/taping and became an addict (Marino addict that is). The next highpoint for me was Juggernaut (my favorite Frank studio album) and then DoubleLive became the crown jewel (Frank live takes it to another level, plus that was his first release of the jaw dropping song Poppy). But I digress, was just trying to answer your question/put my Frank fandom in context.

GodShifter and Natvecal. like this.
  11. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

That first live album made an impression and I knew he was pretty good. But it wasn't until a couple years later, after getting What's Next and seeing him live, starting to collect live audience tapes of him, that I got really "stoked"! ;)

GodShifter and Natvecal. like this.
  12. Natvecal.

Exactly what I was looking for. Great content And context! Thanks for that! it's appreciated:righton:

13. Natvecal.

That first live album has that special place in my heart as my 1st Frank experience!Stoked to know fellow FM fans a bit better!Now when's that DVD coming out already?:confused: Man, it's really testin' me patience here a bit........ha ha

slipkid likes this.
  14. dmiller458

Growing up in Michigan, we listened to Canadian stations almost as much as we listened to US radio. They have laws that mandate that a certain percentage of their airwaves have be Canadian music. So we heard Rush and April Wine and Triumph, etc. long before they ever really took off with American fans.

I always liked Frank Marino because I love guitar work with a lot of reverb and sustain.

Natvecal., slipkid and GodShifter like this.
  15. GodShifter

I remember hearing about Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush as early as 78 or 79 as he was coming to where I lived and I was mildly curious to see him. Back in the day, I'd go see almost any rock show I could and Marino had definitely captured my attention with a few songs I heard on the radio. That said, I didn't really think much of any album I had heard. I thought the songs were pretty weak in terms of the songwriting; i.e. it was more Hendrix influenced with a lot of riffing and this and that, but that songs weren't that good.

I think the album that opened it up for me was Juggernaut as the cover looked awesome (hey, I got sucked into that kind of thing) and I bought it. After listening to the entire album, I was still on the fence, but I could recognize what a great talent he was on guitar. I then started exploring other albums and, honestly, not liking much of his pre Juggernaut output that much. Sure, there are certain songs that are good, but let's be honest: Frank's not a good songwriter. He's a decent vocalist and a GREAT guitarist, but as a songwriter, only passable. So it made sense to explore some live albums and see what I thought. Double Live was cool and REAL Live was awesome, but the studio stuff was pretty much bombing. I guess if I had to pick a release I thought was pretty decent was Eye of the Storm. I think "He's Calling" is a really good song.

Murph, Natvecal. and slipkid like this.
  16. Natvecal.

:righton:
    Hey ,thanks ! I appreciate the reply back. I only explored World Anthem then Tales... came out then got IV. I hear what you guys are saying,I get it. But, I found more to like on those records than you guys did it appears.The song on WA (Look At Me)jazzy/blues chord structure and very jazzy solo (plus he nails that jazz tone here) showed me a guy bigger than a rocker! Like Steve Steven's we've talked about before,there's more than meets the ear? And that song caught my attention to his diversity.Juggernaut (you're right ,cool album cover) and that was the big album. Like others ,I think it ironic the most radio played song of his (Strange Dreams)has no solo in it! Hero a great song. Juggarnaut my favorite song off that album. The most Heavy Metal-ish Frank got at time. I loved the guitar licks and accents from the over dubbed lead track all throughout that song(like MS does through out Pack It Up And Go -UFO)I agree not a top notch vocalist.But, some of the rhythms he sings over I can tell you are not easy to do. His experience as a drummer is an asset here.He can lock in a difficult rhythm and sing counter (or against it) and that's hard to master.I know from experience and tend to raise the level of respect for that in the vocals department! One-day we can all give our 2cents to that DVD when it's out (not holdin' my breath)........let's hope...one year?:sigh:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    slipkid likes this.
  17. Natvecal.

Frank Marino- Juggernaut
    Great Hard rockin' tune in my books!The guitar licks through out really makes the song for me. The layered vocals at the 2:15 mark (after the bridge just before the solo)are used to cool effect there IMHO and I love that part of the song!:D

slipkid and Curveboy like this.
  18. Natvecal.

Pack It Up And Go- UFO
    Probably my favorite UFO song the driving groove of it maybe basic hard rock but effectively done to me. and (like FM above)also has guitar licks/riffs all through the song. For such a short song MS really shines here IMHO.

19. GodShifter

Good observations about Frank being a former drummer and it helping with his vocals and guitar playing; I had never really thought of that and, yep, no guitar solo on "Strange Dreams". Pretty clear that one was slotted as the single. It should have been bigger; it's a good song.

Also, nice mention of Herr Schenker and his work on "Pack It Up and Go". I reviewed a ton of UFO albums in the UFO ABA thread. Obsession was my longest endeavor (and one of my worst ever on here). You've got good taste, my friend, in terms of 'the rock'.

slipkid, Jimmy Agates and Natvecal. like this.
  20. Natvecal.

Thanks. This was an observation I made about FM in the late '70s as a teen-aged young aspiring guitarist. I marveled on some (not every song) tunes the groove and singing over that floored me on that first Live Album and one or two songs from the live side of Tales...
    Banging out bar chords and singing over a steadily strummed rhythm is one thing . But, I picked up right away from these two live recordings Frank plays some cool "off" riffs to sing over.Maybe that explains a bit my love for this early stuff besides sentimental ? I clearly remember going,"How is he singing and playing that at the same time?"in a kind of awe back then. I didn't know he was a former drummer until (guessing here)10 years ago maybe? But, I locked on that trivia about him as my ,"A-Ha! That's how he does it! He's a drummer! "Makes perfect sense to me now as he's countering his riffs instead of following them like most Guitar/Vocalists would do to better concentrate on the singing chores without compromising their playing.Frank chooses the hard road to this muli-tasking in my eyes (again not on every song) because he can.That was duly noted and inserted into my huge respect for him (in light of singing/song writing limitations that have been noted here):righton:

slipkid and GodShifter like this.
  21. Natvecal.

Love UFO. But Obsession was Micheal's "Shinning star" album for me. Like FM who wails on those high notes. Schenker just sings on those high notes.IMHO feel these guys are the link from the"Classic" rock style of solos to the EVH Era of guitar solos? Maybe add late '70s Pat Travers too?

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  22. dmiller458

The list of those who started off as drummers is long and often surprising. Marvin, Iggy, and James Brown come to mind.

Natvecal. and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. Natvecal.

Was visiting relatives back east ('75?) and my Cousin had BTO's Not Fragile on 8track. I always liked all the radio BTO I heard but, when the first song Not Fragile blasted through his speakers, I was blown away by the hard rocking power chords! After our trip came home and promptly bought the LP. NF & Sledge Hammer are two personal favorites because of that hard rockin-ness to them.

EDIT; Maybe Resonated with me is a better way to describe how these songs came across than "Blown away".

24. Natvecal.

Cathedral - Enter The Worms(The Ethereal Mirror)
    One of my favorite songs (apart from Soul Sacrifice) I just Love the groove of this tune!

25. dmiller458

The Baba O'Riley riffs and the My Generation stuttering made it pretty clear who BTO's biggest influence was.

Natvecal. likes this.