OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 Networking Universal 3D Blu-ray Players (part4)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Any idea is welcome at this point, I appreciate it.

I just tried everything again, and after disconnecting and re-connecting the audio cables from Oppo to receiver, I am now able to get sound from the SL speaker, but not discretely. When a test tone is sent to the SL speaker, I get sound from both the SL and FL speakers. Just like the right now. And a test tone to the center speaker is giving me sound in the center, AND both FL and FR speakers. What the hell?

To summarize, with the problem channels bolded.

FL - sound comes from FL only.
    Center - sound comes from FL, Center and FR.
    FR - sound comes from FR only.
    Sub - sound comes from sub only.
    SL - sound comes from SL and FL speakers.
    SR - sound comes from SR and FR speakers.

I wonder if something got fried. There were some power outages a few weeks ago, but just brief outages overnight. Everything is connected to a PS Audio Dectet AC Power Conditioner.

2. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Do you have a calibration disc? If you do try it and see if the test tones from the disc are output correctly.

3. Doug_B

Doug_B Time Traveler

There could be a problem with the Oppo. But it could also be either a setting or problem with how your backup receiver is handling the analog multi-channel inputs. I would thus suggest checking out how the receiver is set up re the analog multi-channel inputs. You don't happen to have another player that has analog mch outputs you can connect to the same receiver mch inputs, do you?

Doug

4. agentalbert

Maybe. I have a Denon dvd-player that does SACD/DVD-Audio, so it probably has MCH outputs. I haven't used it in some time, but could hook it up and try. Maybe tomorrow night after work. Maybe I can also try using an optical audio cable from the Oppo to the receiver.

I've never used the HDMI audio on the Oppo, always using the analog outs. But I connected an HDMI cable from the Oppo to the receiver and turned HDMI audio to "on" in the Oppo setup, and again tried the test tones from the Oppo. Same exact problem - the rear channels are being doubled to the front.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  5. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

Sounds like a problem with the unit. Send it to Oppo. They'll take care of the issue or send you a replacement unit. Ask anyone here who's used their customer service.

6. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Very bizarre. I have a 103D which has more or less the same UI and cannot work out why this is happening. The fact that it happens with both digital and analogue out is odd and suggestive of a configuration problem, possibly with the Oppo, though I have to ask whether your receiver is inadvertently set to one of those 5.1. stereo modes that turn stereo into 5.1 or some other DSP setting? The receiver isn't set to one of the Dolby Pro Logic modes is it? Even if the test tones work as intended on the receiver it would seem more likely to me that there is some sort of processing happening to your 5.1 input to cause this issue.

tmtomh and JediJoker like this.
  7. agentalbert

I don't know. As its not a receiver I've been real familiar with (it was an extra my father had that I tried out a few years ago, and then put away - Onkyo SR606), its possible. But I did use it with the same Oppo 105 I have now when I tried it years ago, and there were no problems. I did try setting it up from scratch, using the Audyssey mike to test the room and configure everything. Then manually checked the settings it applied, and they all seem right. Prior to my discovering this problem with the Oppo, I'd been just streaming digital content to my TV and sending audio to the receiver via an optical output. And as near as I could tell, it was processing that 5.1 content correctly and still seems to be. It's just audio from the Oppo that is now wonky.

This morning I pulled all of the analog cables completely from the Oppo and the receiver, and connected an optical audio cable and ran the speaker configuration on the Oppo. Rear channels still send sound to the front. I'll call Oppo and see what they can tell me.

JediJoker likes this.
  8. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Are all speakers set to large? Maybe it's some kind of bass management quirkiness going on in either the Oppo or the receiver.

9. Sevoflurane

In Audio Processing settings, have you got the Stereo Signal setting on down mix or Front Left / Right? Assuming you are using the phonos and not the XLR out for your multichannel analogue output down mix is probably correct? Can't think why that would affect coaxial / optical / HDMI, but there it is. Which HDMI port are you using and is secondary audio disabled in the set up menus?

10. agentalbert

The rear's are set to small, as they are not full range speakers. I can try setting them to large and see what that does, though they've been set to small for at least a year (since I put in the surrounds), so that shouldn't be the issue. But I'll try later today.

No, I have the Oppo set to 5.1 in downmix. If you set it to stereo or Lt/Rt, it doesn't even show rear channels as options to send a test tone to. I was using the analog outs (not the balanced), not HDMI, but did test it with HDMI yesterday. I do have secondary audio disabled in the set up menu.

JediJoker likes this.
  11. Sevoflurane

That is the separate Stereo Signal menu item, not the speaker setup menu item with the graphic of the speakers? My 103D doesn't have the XLRs and I have been unable to replicate what you are describing tinkering with my own settings. Sorry!

12. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Just a shot in the dark - if you set the speaker distances to zero and the trim to zero does it make any difference?
    Also - the downmix is set to 5.1, but make sure that SBL and SBR speakers are set to "OFF" (just verifying here in case this slipped by)

Does the receiver have test tone capabilities? I know that you swapped out receivers and have ruled that out as a point of failure, but it might be good to try the tones on the receiver just to verify.

Turboholic and Simon A like this.
  13. agentalbert

There is no SBL and SBR setting if the downmix is set to 5.1, as far as I can tell. If I change it to 7.1, then SBL and SBR speakers appear and can be configured, though I don't have such speakers. The receiver itself has test tones for speaker calibration and each speaker receives a discrete sound when I use that. Thanks for everyone attempting to help.

I'll try the speaker distance/trim setting you suggested later and see what happens.

14. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The best option would be to call Oppo and see what they think of the issue.

gd0, Sevoflurane, JediJoker and 2 others like this.
  15. agentalbert

Yeah. Will do later after work and update.

16. agentalbert

SUCCESS!!

Called Oppo, and after switching from optical cable, to HDMI and back to analog outs, eventually got the sound to go to each channel discretely. Turned out to be a combination of a stereo downmix setting in the Oppo and then just activating multi-channel on the receiver for the analog inputs. We never could get it to work correctly with the audio going by HDMI or optial for some reason, but as using the analog outs was what I wanted all along, I'm fine. Very helpful rep at Oppo who walked me through the various tests.

He did say one thing I thought odd. He said that the test tones in speaker configuration on the Oppo 105 should only work with analog outs, not with HDMI or digital audio out. Not sure about that, but it doesn't matter.

Happy (at least until I can get my regular receiver fixed and back in service). Thanks to everyone here for trying to help me sort this out.

17. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Glad to hear you got the issue corrected :). The Oppo tech is correct in that the test tones are only for the 5/7.1 analog output. I just tried to see if the test tones would work on my 105D and they do not. I do not have the 5/7.1 analog output connected to my Emotiva XMC-1 though. If you were getting output from the test tones with your 5.1 analog cables disconnected that's odd. If I get a chance I'll connect my 5.1 cables later today and see if there is output from the test tones when on the HDMI output. You might be hearing the test tones but they have no significance with any digital outputs of the Oppo.

The below quote is from page 70 of the 105/105D manual.

Please note these test tones only work with the multi-channel analog audio outputs and are only suitable for channel identification purposes.

http://download.oppodigital.com/BDP105/BDP-105_USER_MANUAL_English_v1.8.2.pdf

JediJoker likes this.
  18. agentalbert

That makes sense. I had hooked up HDMI and optical cables trying to test the speakers and when I enabled those, I must have still had the analog cables attached and so the sound was coming through those, though I thought it was going by HDMI and the optical. I probably had the receiver set correctly, but after removing the analog cables was trying to get test tones with the HDMI and getting nothing, and so thinking something was still wrong. Argh! A learning experience.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    Bill Mac and JediJoker like this.
  19. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I connected the 5.1 cables to the 5.1 output of the 105D and learned something as well. The test tones only play when the 7.1 analog output is selected and are muted when an HDMI input is selected. Which is what I recall from setting up the 5/7.1 analog output of previous Oppo players. Having never setup the analog speaker configuration I thought now would be the time to do it.

When going into the 105D's speaker configuration menu I was unable to select the test tone option as it was set to off the default setting. This was a head scratcher as the test tones were just playing. Well the long short of it is that the test tones will not play if a disc is in the 105D. I could have sworn there was a disc in when the test tones were playing earlier. It's interesting in that there was no mention of the fact that the test tones will not play if a disc is in the player in the manual. At least I couldn't find any mention of it.

So once I took the disc out of the 105D I was able to turn on the test tones. After selecting the 80 Hz crossover setting and setting the speaker distances I set each speakers trim level with an SPL meter. All of the test tones played correctly from each speaker when selected. So I'm not having the issue agentalbert was having. Switching between 5.1 analog and HDMI a few times I much prefer HDMI. The difference is probably that Dirac room correction is doing it's magic. There is a better blending of all speakers with excellent imaging. The subs sound better as well with a bit more definition and accuracy. The differences are subtle but HDMI with Dirac is the choice for me :).

agentalbert and screener like this.
  20. I just checked the software on my Oppo 105, and there is a firmware upgrade available from January 2017 with the designation:

10XEU-83-1226

Would there be any reason not to upgrade the firmware (e.g. does it remove some features like SACD ripping)?

Simon A likes this.
  21. JediJoker

None of the previous firmware updates have killed SACD ripping, but you'll have to either wait for a definitive on that or be the guinea pig.

rjstauber likes this.
  22. Thanks.

Well. the firmware update is already available since one year, so I would assume there would be an outcry if that one did kill the SACD ripping capability of the 105.

tmtomh likes this.
  23. JediJoker

Ah, yes; I'm living in the past. That one has been tested and will not break the SACD ripping.

rjstauber likes this.
  24. Sevoflurane

I bought my Oppo 103D in January 2017 and installed that firmware and SACD ripping worked fine for me.

JediJoker, tmtomh and rjstauber like this.
  25. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Probably they are done with firmware upgrades for 103/105. Have not seen one for a while. Anyway I have the latest one, and it is all good.

Sevoflurane and tmtomh like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.