Whitesnake - The Purple Tour - Jan '18

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Curveboy, Dec 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Count Orfloff

Count Orfloff Forum Resident

I only give Coverdale a hard time because he cannot sing anymore.

2. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Oh, Coverdale can still sing. So can Tom Waits.

The difference is that Tom Waits always sounded like that and Coverdale didn't.

slipkid likes this.
  3. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

true. which is why DC should change his approach. It's quite a few years since he talked about how he couldn't "scream like Tarzan" anymore..but yet, he continues to try..

4. Count Orfloff

He tries hurting our ears.

5. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I've actually seen some poo-pooing of a renewed Coverdale/Page here and, since I love derailing threads further, I'd like to tug at that fiber and see what unravels.

When you consider how relatively mellow the Page/Plant Walking Into Clarksdale album was, is it so unthinkable that a more laid back affair could result from a renewed collaboration? I mean, say what you want about DC's voice, and it's clear that the shrieking is hard for a guy his age who has logged some serious road miles, but he can still sing. Just don't expect him to be the hard rock equivalent of an opera diva in her prime - fit to beat the orchestra for projection and power.

Now, with that being the story so far, wouldn't it be well worth a listen to have a more laid back affair in line with his first two solo albums, a dash of what Page was doing with Plant back in the early '00s, and some straight, lived-in blues? I know I'd preorder that platter in a New York minute if it were to be announced (just don't brickwall the fracking master, please!).

Munros1969 likes this.
  6. Count Orfloff

Coverdale should definitely go in a blues/r&b direction. His first two solo albums are fantastic efforts.

Munros1969, Runicen and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

he can still sing but just not in the high range he tries

Curveboy likes this.
  8. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

coverdale releases new music every 4-5 years. its been like that since the 90's. he had new albums/songs released in 1989, 1993, 1997, 2000, 2006, 2008, 2011, 2015. not exactly tearing it up on releases there. also doug aldrich left whitesnake in 2014, aldrich was coverdales main writing partner from 2002-2014 so my guess is its taking some time to find a new writing groove.

Curveboy likes this.
  9. zen

zen Senior Member

Try ignoring Coverdale's current output altogether. That should keep your ears from hurting. :tiphat:

10. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

Coverdale's been a joke since at least 1990. At that year's Donington, we sat down throughout Whitesnake's set, in a futile attempt to escape his torturous vocals.

Never understood why NWOBHM kids had Whitesnake patches on their jackets. About as incongruous as Meatloaf, IMO.

GodShifter and Count Orfloff like this.
  11. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think not...DC is still a powerful force in heavy metal. Still draws a crowd, still sells albums.
    I for one am glad they are still out there doing it.

12. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Not to be too pedantic, but the album came out in April of 2015 so that's why I said it was going on three years that they've been promoting this project.

I think the scenarios you mention re: Plant and Blackmore are two very different things. I'm not crazy about Ronnie Romero in Rainbow but he's got a decent voice and I can see why Blackmore picked him. He's young and can do respectable version of either Dio or JLT songs. Plant can still carry a tune and has managed to make the back catalog work in a way that properly suits his voice today. Coverdale simply can't sing heavy rock anymore and the promo that was linked in the OP bears that out, IMO. He barely has any range left at all and the generic 80s metallizing that the current Whitesnake apply to those classic tunes ain't so hot either.

13. Curveboy

I'd argue that Plant could never carry a tune...ever.
    DC can still pull it off. Do I think this version of Burn shows that? Probably not...but as I said I think it's a good effort for a modern video and certainly showcases how freakin' good the current band is.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Musically, the band is excellent, but Coverdale has always surrounded himself with good players; from day one. I think this is a case of you either like Coverdale and you're going to defend him to death despite evidence to the contrary that he flat cannot sing anymore (or at least not like from his days of early Whitesnake and Deep Purple). As far as Plant? That's certainly your opinion and you're entitled to it whether it has any basis in reality or not.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  15. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Not entirely true about Waits. His first two records sound distinctly different, vocally, than later ones. The difference between Waits and Coverdale is that Waits plays music that can sustain his vocal approach either way. The music remains intact however he chooses to sing it. With Coverdale you cannot go out there and sing "Burn" or whatever and croak it out like a frog who just drank battery acid. Now, if Coverdale wants to start doing the smokey lounge type thing or vaudeville or whatever he could certainly do that, but his days of being a fiery, high octave singer are way over.

16. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

He sounded good on the 2005 tour, the first with Aldrich I believe. Used some enhancement and effects for the real high notes but otherwise was good

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Would you like a shovel to help you keep digging? :)

johnny q and GodShifter like this.
  18. Curveboy

You can bury me in the back near the Old House...

Barnabas Collins likes this.
  19. Curveboy

One of my favorite versions of Burn...

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  20. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

He probably thinks Paul Stanley still sounds good.

21. Use_Your_Koala

Use_Your_Koala Forum Resident

Could you please at least try to troll seriously?

22. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Mmmm.......so let me get this straight.......the issue here is David Coverdale cannot sing as well as he did in 1975??? Right?? And this is reason to knock the guy playing Rock N Roll......correct?? Not open heart surgery.....just rock n roll.....right??

is Plant as good as he was in 1970?? Dylan as good as 1966?? Fogerty as good as 1968?? Neil Young as good as anytime prior to 2000??

Of course not.

They have all aged.....all lost something in vocal range ......Sinatra.....him too in his later years....

Coverdales no different.......his voice has changed....become more limited. You don't like it.....simple....don't listen......better still, refrain from "contributing" on threads about the guy.

Me....I think he did alright for himself......must of........he seems to have a swell life......and many of us Snake fans are happy to continue to pay our gratitude and enjoy what the guy given us and continues to offer.

As Paul Stanley himself once said......"I live in a house bad reviews paid for"

Here's to you DC........look forward to January and beyond.

BobFever, Anthrax, slipkid and 6 others like this.
  23. Curveboy

24. Curveboy

25. Curveboy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.