Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2017

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

No, it was actually bad. It had characters with no point, dopey jokes and just no heart. Pixar's Coco on the other hand was perfect.

2. Chris DeVoe

I hadn't posted in this thread before, because frankly I don't care if a film is a hit or a bomb, as I don't own a movie studio or even a theater. As long as I get to see it, that's all that matters. But apparently this is the only thread where Downsizing is discussed.

I loved it! Funny, and like all Alexander Payne films, excellent writing. Don't see it for Kristen Wigg - her part is basically a cameo.

3. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I never post here either, but I found it a very interesting film. Flawed, imo, but still very interesting and thought-provoking. I love how the people who chose to “get small”, in the cause of bettering the environment, are living in the most eco-unfriendly McMansions, for example. Or, despite how they’re living in a sort of “universal utopia”, they still have to have a sort of “lower class” to serve them, who all have much less favorable living conditions...

Yup, it’s a flawed film, but I’d take it over a Marvel film 100 times out of 100. And thanks to Moviepass, I’m willing to watch a lot more flawed films than I was six months ago!

4. Chris DeVoe

Hopefully it will be discovered on streaming services.

It's not a either/or. Vickie's been using MoviePass for a year and has seen 470 films so far this year. She love seeing tiny little films, but she also loves huge Marvel films.

5. mrjinks

I was just speaking for myself. I recognize that the Marvel-type films are huge box office - I just consider them utterly asinine. I used to hope they were a “hot genre” that would eventually vanish, like those “erotic thrillers” circa Basic Instinct/Fatal Attraction 20+ years ago. Now they’re relatively infrequent, though they used to seem ubiquitous.

Once in a while they’re fine for me - but every three weeks we’ve got a Batman/Spider-Man/Ironman/Antman/Avengers/Fantastic Four/Superman/Guardians of the Galaxy/Suicide Squad/Justice League/Wonder Woman/X-Men/Wolverine/Thor/Dr Strange/Logan/Black Panther/Deadpool film. Seriously. And people think the Bond formula is getting old... :help:

John Moschella likes this.
  6. Chris DeVoe

The most common excuse I hear for not going out to the theater is that "it's nothing but comic book movies and sequels" and it just isn't true. Every time I run across it, I check the movie listings and I see two dozen different films, one or two being a Marvel or DC film, another one or two being sequels and the rest are a wide mixture of genres, including a number of grown-up dramas that never get a chance to find an audience.

benjaminhuf, Stormrider77 and Oatsdad like this.
  7. mrjinks

I agree there are other films to see. My town has a fantastic theatre that plays the best indie/foreign type stuff. But when I go see a mainstream film at the multiplex, that doesn’t mean I don’t get to complain about sitting through five or six trailers of the type of films I listed above, does it?

Really, there was one time last summer I went to see ... something ... and there were, I think, FIVE trailers for comic book movies beforehand. When the last one started, the group of five directly in front of me burst into laughter. I don’t know why, exactly, but I’d like to think it was because they saw the absurdity of it all. :shrug:

Like I said, I get that those films are popular. I’m just so DONE, personally, with being exposed to them. I feel the same way anytime I see a preview for a tv “comedy” (Young Sheldon/Two and a Half Men/Two Broke Girls) - can I help it that I want to throw a brick at the screen (and I hardly ever watch network tv!)?

8. Chris DeVoe

Fair enough. But it really is seasonal - you're going to get a LOT more of them leading up to the summer movie season. And like you, I am getting heartily sick of seeing ads and features on TV comedies in the "pre-show" stuff before the actual trailers, but I can't say I blame the theater chains - they are having a difficult enough time making a living these days.

mrjinks likes this.
  9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

The 20-minute or so "pre-show" thing doesn't bug me at all - as long as it ends by ticket time.

I like trailers so I'm fine with those running after ticket time, of course, but they used to shove a lot of non-movie commercials into the space at/after ticket time, and that got annoying.

The "pre-show" reels alleviate that - mostly. There's still some advertising bloat at/after ticket time, but it's not as bad as it used to be...

10. Oatsdad

BTW, I maintain a perverse fascination with the promos Regal runs pre-movie. I find this one perplexing:

So nerdy guy takes date to movie. Date gets all hot and horny over hunky concessions dude. Nerdy guy gets nervous - his date sips her Coke and everything's A-OK? :confused:

Does this imply Coke negates all passion for hunky dudes and allows you to tolerate your nerdy date? :laugh:

11. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

The TOP 20 of 2017 as of this morning, I've seen 5/20 so far.

(#) - (AllTimeRank) - (Title) (Studio) (Worldwide) (Domestic) / % Overseas / % Year0

1 - 10 Beauty and the Beast (2017) BV $1,263.5 $504.0 39.9% $759.5 60.1% 2017
    2 - 11 The Fate of the Furious Uni. $1,235.8 $225.8 18.3% $1,010.0 81.7% 2017
    3 - 24 Despicable Me 3 Uni. $1,033.5 $264.6 25.6% $768.9 74.4% 2017
    4 - 49 Spider-Man: Homecoming Sony $880.2 $334.2 38.0% $546.0 62.0% 2017
    5 - 55 Wolf Warrior 2 HC $870.3 $2.7 0.3% $867.6 99.7% 2017
    6 - 57 Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 BV $863.7 $389.8 45.1% $473.9 54.9% 2017
    7 - 60 Thor: Ragnarok BV $846.1 $309.5 36.6% $536.6 63.4% 2017
    8 - 64 Wonder Woman WB $821.8 $412.6 50.2% $409.3 49.8% 2017
    9 - 70 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales BV $794.9 $172.6 21.7% $622.3 78.3% 2017
    10 - 72 Star Wars: The Last Jedi BV $791.7 $395.6 50.0% $396.1 50.0% 2017
    11 - 100 It WB (NL) $698.1 $327.5 46.9% $370.6 53.1% 2017
    12 - 115 Justice League WB $647.1 $223.1 34.5% $424.0 65.5% 2017
    13 - 129 Logan Fox $616.8 $226.3 36.7% $390.5 63.3% 2017
    14 - 133 Transformers: The Last Knight Par. $605.4 $130.2 21.5% $475.3 78.5% 2017
    15 - 147 Kong: Skull Island WB $566.7 $168.1 29.7% $398.6 70.3% 2017
    16 - 170 Dunkirk WB $525.6 $188.4 35.8% $337.2 64.2% 2017^
    17 - 179 The Boss Baby Fox $498.9 $175.0 35.1% $323.9 64.9% 2017
    18 - 187 Coco BV $491.7 $164.3 33.4% $327.4 66.6% 2017
    19 - 188 War for the Planet of the Apes Fox $490.7 $146.9 29.9% $343.8 70.1% 2017
    20 - 251 The Mummy (2017) Uni. $409.1 $80.1 19.6% $329.0 80.4%

benjaminhuf and Vidiot like this.
  12. Oatsdad

I've seen all of 'em except "Wolf Warrior 2".

Not a shock given that it essentially didn't get a US release...

Vidiot and Deuce66 like this.
  13. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

14. Chris DeVoe

It played at the AMC River East 21 in Chicago and was awesome!

15. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

I saw them all except for Wolf Warrior 2, Beauty And The Beast, and the animated movies.

My top 3 favorites:

1. Logan
    2. Wonder Woman
    3. It

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

What the hell is (or was) Wolf Warrior 2?

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  17. Chris DeVoe

The sequel to Wolf Warrior. As Joe Bob Briggs said "I'm surprised I have to explain these things!"

Seriously, it was the most amazing action film I saw this year.

Edit to add: Vickie saw it twice.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  18. Chris DeVoe

If someone takes the effort to make English subtitles and arrange US distribution, there is a pretty decent chance that a foreign language film is going to be worth seeing. Vickie and I just saw a Korean film called Along With the Gods: The Two Worlds and it was the craziest thing I've seen all year. A heroic fireman is killed saving a child from a burning high-rise, is taken to the afterworld and has to be tried by seven different judges to find if he has truly lived a noble life and be allowed to reincarnate.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  19. Oatsdad

Hey, I said it essentially got no US release! :D

I think Boxofficemojo said it peaked at like 52 screens. I'm sure it played somewhere around here but I don't recall it...

20. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

21. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I believe the end implies that she gets all hot and horny over the snacks and drinks, not the concession dude.

mrjinks and Jeff Edwards like this.
  22. Chris DeVoe

Yeah, it was nationalistic - no more and no less than Rambo was. I saw a Bollywood film this weekend, Tiger Zinda Hai, and it was nationalistic about India, with an indestructible badass hero. But it was also about India and Pakistan fighting together, and the hero and his mixed crew emerging triumphant, flying both countries flags. The US was not particularly helpful, with the heroes trying to save a hospital full of nurses that has been taken over by ISIS, and trying to rescue then before a drone strike hits the place. Again, as far as I'm concerned, every country is entitled to their own mindless escapism.

Scott222C and Plan9 like this.
  23. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Predicting 2018 soon, methinks.

24. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Among the handful of former-heavyweights that executives still seem to think are bankable entirely due to their names, only to be proven wrong time and time again. Add to that list names like Jennifer Aniston, Julia Roberts, and (increasingly) George Clooney and Matt Damon.

25. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Vidiot and alexpop like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.