Oasis (and solo) album-by-album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Haristar, Dec 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

Standing is a pretty underrated record, well produced, slightly dark if they would have replaced Little James with Let's All Make Believe it would have been a top album, went downhill after this though....

2. Harmonator

Harmonator Forum Resident

I remember getting a bootleg cd of demos before this album was released and loved it. It also had their cover of my generation on it which from memory didn’t surface until Heathen Chemistry. The Austin Powers intro on this just fitted perfectly :laugh:

3. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth Thread Starter

I might be alone here but it I genuinely like this album. Yes a few of the songs are lacklustre (Little James, Sunday Morning Call and I Can See a Liar) but I prefer it to the last three Oasis albums.

But if the three aforementioned songs were swapped out for Let's All Make Believe, (As Long As They've Got) Cigarettes in Hell and a Liam sung One Way Road (I love Noel's version but I think three Noel songs would be a bit much), it could have been a lot better.

4. I really love Put Yet Money Where Yer Mouth Is and I Can See a Liar even if they're typically considered the weaker/filler tracks - I kind of like that they just rock with great Liam vocals.

5. Harmonator

The whole point about this album was that Noel was trying to move away from the standard “oasis” sound of the 90’s. For me that’s why there were some pretty good songs left off as he thought they didn’t fit the sound and feel of the record.

Little James was a moment of madness, I actually really like I Can See A Liar.

Roll It Over is also a great track

6. 'Gas Panic' from Wembley 2000/Familiar to Millions is fantastic:

Allen Michael and Erik B. like this.
  7. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

So much better than the version on Chasing Yesterday :-(

Erik B. and Harmonator like this.
  8. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

I like "SOTSOG" more now than I did at the time. It's got some clunkers but I like a lot of it, too.

Noel's new album reminds me of it somewhat, so I'm wondering if ten years from now, I'll like that more too.

9. boiledbeans

boiledbeans Forum Resident

Yeah, from Alan White's wiki page
    Alan White (Oasis drummer) - Wikipedia
    And that's quite true. For example, in the chorus of The Hindu Times, the drums are almost inaudible. Even the acoustic guitar is more prominent than the drums!

10. boiledbeans

Favre508, Erik B., Big Pasi and 2 others like this.
  11. boiledbeans

Though my favorite song from this period is 'Full On'. One of their most 'rocking' songs.

Favre508 likes this.
  12. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

I think I am going to buy a new pair of Gazelles for old time's sake

Dr.D likes this.
  13. Favre508

Favre508 Forum Resident

I agree this song is awesome, I really like Noel's singing on this one! I'm sure Liam would have done a great job on this song as we'll.

14. Harmonator

Burberry trench coat and flip flops :laugh: other than that this is a good performance :D

15. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

I can argue a case for Go Let It Out being my all time favourite Oasis song. Blast that out at high volume and it absolutely rocks (my world anyway!).

16. Orthogonian Blues

And there's your evidence that even Liam doesn't look good in everything.

Harmonator likes this.
  17. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

come on. He had mostly hits with his fashion statements. He's got to have a few misses over the years.

18. DorothyV

DorothyV Forum Resident

How likely would a deluxe re-issue of SOTSOG with the demos and b-sides be?

Allen Michael likes this.
  19. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

very unlikely

20. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

The "SOTSOG" demos are generally good, though since Noel's vocal role increased on that album and he played most of the instruments, some are really not that different to the finished product.

Thank god somebody had the sense to zap the "Austin Powers" sample from "Go Let It Out", though.

21. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth Thread Starter

Noel seems to genuinely dislike it and wishes he never recorded it. He greatly dislikes some of the songs, especially "Sunday Morning Call" (he was absolutely brutal towards it on the commentary on the "Time Flies" DVD), and something tells me he's not too keen on "Who Feels Love" either. Something tells me there'll probably not be a deluxe re-issue of it in the foreseeable future, which is sad as I truly believe it's not as bad as some people make out. But who knows, after all the 20th anniversary is coming up disturbingly quickly and maybe something's being planned after all.

Here's Noel's commentary on all of the music videos, and the SOTSOG section starts at 12:31:

22. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

I've never really understood the negativity towards this album. I put it on par with Be Here Now - some really great songs and a few missteps. I definitely consider it better than the 3 albums that came after.

I also don't understand why Noel dislikes "Sunday Morning Call" and "Who Feels Love" so much but then cites "Lyla" as some high point in his songwriting. Baffling. Maybe he thinks the lyrics to those songs are garbage but let's be honest, a great majority of his lyrics are bad. His great talent has always been melody and hooks, not lyrics.

23. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

I'd absolutely agree with Noel there. Sunday Morning Call and Who Feels Love are the absolute low points for me in Oasis singles.

24. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Let’s All Make Believe speaks to me. How this did not make the album is beyond me. Seriously, any ideas how this was left off? I consider it the best song of these sessions.

Favre508, clarkydaz and George P like this.
  25. Orthogonian Blues

The production of SOTSOG is actually really good. Lots of little psychedelic and touches and surprisingly contemporary beats throughout. And it still sounds spacious and uncluttered for the most part, unlike it's two predecessors.

Compression? Yeah there is probably lots, but again, not as much as it's two predecessors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.