Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. BendBound

BendBound Forum Resident

Can I assume you are talking about the music and not the cover? I like white. :D

2. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Could use a grant green rec. Currently have in the cart with Wayne shortens night dreamer 45 and speak no evil 33 (I LOVE shorter’s song writing and arranging), and I’ve got room for maybe one more which I would love to fill in with a grant green. Fell in love with his playing after getting the Mobley workout, I’m a hard bop fan and like his more aggressive playing, especially with horns. Solid seems a good choice but at $75 for the 45my wallet is shivering :(

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    mikeyt likes this.
  3. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I love Workout too. Been holding off getting the MM only due to price

I assume you have Idle Moments? I know it’s pricey but if you don’t have that, it’s a must. Green is also really good on Ike Quebec’s Blue and Sentimental, a very enjoyable late night smoky album. Otherwise Matador is good. The other stuff with organ, I’m just not a fan of jazz organ so someone else may be a better guide.

Satchidananda and Gabe Walters like this.
  4. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Ah yes, forgot about idle moments! I'll take a look and a quick YouTube listen. I'm like you and not really into the jazz organ thing either. Should also add he is killer on lee Morgan’s search for the new land;)

5. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Hutcherson on vibes and Grant green together are a great combination. Opener is a gorgeous slow burn. The rest is a bit more upbeat but the two of them have fantastic solos throughout.

Satchidananda, recstar24 and mikeyt like this.
  6. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Given what you say here, sorry about the price mate, but you need SOLID - one of the most if not the most aggressive of Green's recordings and a stellar recording all around. You won't regret missing a few lunches to pick it up. Green is fine on Mobley's WORKOUT but this is a whole other thing, trust me. :)

IDLE MOMENTS is also a great one, all time classic - but much more laid back, even dreamy. Gotta have it eventually too though.

7. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Gonna add to this recommendation of Solid if you're wanting a more hard bop flavor. It's aggressive, it's fun, and it's awesome cranked a bit.

Green, like so many others, just slays any session is a part of. Something I really enjoy is picking up titles I haven't heard just knowing, soley by the line-up, that they're likely going to make magic.

DrJ and recstar24 like this.
  8. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

You *could* assume that, but you know what happens when you assume!

Music Matters:

[​IMG]

Analogue Productions:

[​IMG]

DrJ likes this.
  9. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

DONE. For now, took out idle moments and replaced with solid ;) I like the songs and that specific combo better!

But the wallet is asking me patiently to take out one of the shorters :( which one stays, night dreamer or speak no evil? Currently listening to indestructible, shorters tune mr. Jin is so freaking good, I’m amazed at his arranging ability and creativity in developing a theme.

mikeyt and DrJ like this.
  10. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I second all the recommendations so far, and I would add:

Stanley Turrentine - Up at Minton’s, Vol. 2

Grant Green - Green Street

Grant Green - Gooden’s Corner

Horace Parlan - Happy Frame of Mind

In short time, you’ll find you want them all. The best that you don’t appear to have yet are Matador and Solid, and of course Idle Moments.

DrJ likes this.
  11. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Wow that is a Sophie's Choice...but personally I'd go for SPEAK NO EVIL first. Both are phenomenal, but EVIL is a widely-acknowledged highly influential classic, cited by dozens if not hundreds of jazz artists and critics as such and has one classic composition after another. And it has never sounded even remotely as good as it does in the MM vinyl issue, they worked magic with the sonics. Really though, hard to go wrong either way, both are top flight.

12. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Ditto. You will eventually want Night Dreamer, but I give the nod to Speak No Evil.

recstar24 likes this.
  13. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

You two are great ;) thanks for taking the time in PM and in these threads, the knowledge you guys bring to newbies like me is much appreciated! Ordering now...

Gabe Walters and DrJ like this.
  14. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Happy to help. Man I envy you the experience of hearing these records anew! But since I can now only hear them "an-old" :laugh: I'll just have to make due - gonna revisit both tonight!

recstar24 likes this.
  15. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

And the original:

[​IMG]

In regards to the "Go" artwork, the MM was "reassembled" and the AP was scanned. I'm pretty sure the cream tint on vintage copies is just due to the aging of the white paper stock.

johnnypaddock and mikeyt like this.
  16. johnnypaddock

Interesting... That makes a lot of sense. Thanks man! I'm kind of surprised that AP went with that tint... It's really pronounced.

:cheers:

17. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Those early AP Slip Cases are definitely a weak spot as far as the overall releases go. But, in their defense nobody had really stepped up to the plate a la MM at that point.

Pro Tip : I slip a carboard boster inside mine to keep them from getting crushed on the shelves as i leave the LPs outside of the sleeves.

mikeyt likes this.
  18. johnnypaddock

Agreed... I was never impressed with the quality of their jackets, but I didn't realize they made such questionable decisions on the design. For this title I prefer the sound of the AP, but the jacket/artwork is really no contest.

mikeyt likes this.
  19. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Well, now I'm gonna have to A / B them!

johnnypaddock likes this.
  20. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

In the past, Blue Note itself got confused with the original color sometimes and tried to "fix" it on the reissue.

Original on light brown paper stock:
    [​IMG]

Liberty reissue:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    Bill D and mikeyt like this.
  21. johnnypaddock

:doh:

:laugh:

That's hilarious!!

22. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

To me, there's no doubt that Idle Moments is at the top of the Grant Green album list.

After that, I'd put -

Matador
    Gooden's Corner
    Solid.

Fender Relic likes this.
  23. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

It's a great album - but the man said he was looking for more aggressive Green. IDLE MOMENTS isn't that, though it is indeed sublime in other ways. It really only "cooks" on "Jean De Fleur" and then in a very cool, "let's not get too messy here" kinda way. Duke Pearson's heavy involvement on the date more or less guaranteed that kind of vibe (Pearson is one of my favorite musicians of the era by the way, but very much in the tidy, unruffled swinging school). Allmusic describes it as a "languid and seductive" gem and I think that's spot on.

By contrast SOLID is by far the hardest Green ever dug in on then state-of-the-art outward leaning bop (Grant Green tackling George Russell?! And it works!), in the company of a very modern young group that was equally hot.

MATADOR falls somewhere between.

I do also very much love GOODEN'S CORNER and the other material he recorded with Sonny Clark, but that is different again - much more overtly bluesy and hard-boppish.

For that matter, don't forget about the Larry Young collaborations, yet another side of Green, with TALKIN' ABOUT being a particular favorite of mine.

What a musician. My favorite jazz guitarist, without doubt, all due respect to Montgomery and Hall and Rosenwinkel.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  24. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Dr J is spot on.

If you want Green at his most intense hard bop infused session, I think you gotta go with SOLID.

Though, Gooden's Corner is probably my favorite all around Green title. But, I wouldn't be without any of his stuff.

25. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

:thumbsup: "Moon River" alone would elevate GOODEN'S CORNER to classic status where both jazz guitar and jazz arrangements of great pop tunes are concerned. The man was a wizard with pop covers, uncanny and unparalleled.

johnnypaddock and mikeyt like this.