De Agostini - 'The Beatles Vinyl Collection' mail order set via subscription

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OneStepBeyond, Oct 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member Thread Starter

Although I don't have the 2014, I realised that upon my first play of the DeAgostini 1967-1970 the other day caught me out with the crowd noises - I expected it to be 'clean' as per the original fatboy CD release. Shows that I used to play it a lot!

2. OneStepBeyond

I've been happy with something like half a dozen LPs that I've ordered from them to date - no doubt down to the price. But yes, I realised after the first couple that patience is certainly required there...

3. OneStepBeyond

Don't know when I posted here last - 3 or 4 issues ago surely - but other things take over, y'know. :) And now there's only Past Masters due in less than a month, although I'm very much looking forward to having it on LP for the first time... I will miss this... :sigh:

4. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Surely if the DeAgostini has the crowd noises then that must point to it being AAA!

Or was the claim that they made a high quality digital file of the recent AAA issue?

5. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The later. (From the compilation tapes used).

6. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Yes, I recalled that from the interview I read after I’d written my initial reply.

Very strange.

I did a very quick shootout and of course the original '73 has the fade in as does the '79 UK blue vinyl and the '85(?) German DMM blue vinyl. (Also on all my Dutch, French and Italian variants of this).

The clean intro appeared on the UK digital blue vinyl of '93 as I’ve said, just after it appeared in the '88 Imagine soundtrack.

(Plus point to doing this...the '93 digital vinyl is not as bad as I remember it, probably because I’ve got a superior cartridge in the meantime).

7. Antx

Antx Forum Resident

Bollocks not an album been received in any of the shops round here in a 30 mile radius , beginning to wonder if any made it to Scotland

8. stagnation

stagnation Forum Resident

These are shipped from Belgium and not mainland UK. Certainly better than Nagiry where I have had numerous items claimed to have been sent but never arrived.

9. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

Probably the crappy seasonal delivery / postal services, they’ll surely be there after Xmas ?

Antx likes this.
  10. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Yes, I know, they’re based in the Netherlands.

11. mikeddonn

mikeddonn Forum Resident

I picked one up in my local Tesco where I have collected most of these from. I don't know if they'll get Pastmasters in as I am now the proud owner of the Degostini display stand that housed these! I have the full collection sitting in it just now.

LivingForever, Antx and m4murder like this.
  12. Antx

Antx Forum Resident

Still unable to get shop with it in... try again later this week

13. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

I managed to get Blue, unlike Anthology 3 which I never managed to find in the wild. WHSmiths said it was the last copy though, only 2 days after release so it may be thin on the ground.
    The series ran really well, better than I expected, right up to Anthology 3 and since then it's been flaky. I hope Past Masters will be easy to get. Overall it's been relatively plain sailing though which was a pleasant surprise really.

mikeddonn likes this.
  14. GaryD

GaryD New Member

Thanks Horslips. Been reading this thread for months and finally signed up.

Now I probably should retract what I wrote for the sake of others in the midwest of Ireland hunting the blue album! I was too quick off the mark in Limerick on Friday and a less-than-knowing staff member didn't help. A few copies were on the shelf later that evening and there were also a few in the Parkway branch. I'm sure they are all open again tomorrow.
    Very interesting comments here right through the collection. Very disappointed of course for those who had quality issues. I was lucky. Those of us who were cynics at the outset were largely proven wrong and the AHDN opening clip aside, it was indeed great value.

15. imthewalrus79

imthewalrus79 Forum Resident

For those of you who have gotten the Anthology albums from the collection, I was wondering if you could give an idea as to how they sound compared to the original LP's from the '90's. I have the original Capitol pressings, in great shape. But if there's a good sonic improvement, I was thinking of at least trying to get those three titles.

16. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

I believe some of the tracks have improved source tapes

17. seanjennings

seanjennings Member

Received my replacement AHDN today. Have'nt had time to play it, going out shopping soon. Has anybody else received a copy?
    If so, can they confirm, it's the corrected chord version, or another dud copy?
    Will give it a spin, when i get back, later today, hope it's the corrected copy, as expected.

18. Gibson67

Gibson67 Life is a Magical Mystery Tour enjoy the ride

My replacement is on its way, I’m expecting it to be like the first and not corrected at all.

19. Paul Rymer

Paul Rymer Forum Resident

When is Past Masters out? Next Wednesday?

20. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Yes.

Paul Rymer likes this.
  21. Sean Magee stated that he used the same masters as he did for the 2012 LPs.

MGSeveral likes this.
  22. seanjennings

seanjennings Member

Playing the replacement AHDN copy, i received today. I'm pleased to say, it's the correct chord intro, to a AHDN.
    I've played it, a few times, and compared it, to the clipped chord copy, i have.
    So it looks like, they have re-cut it, as promised.
    Playing the album through now, another fantastic sounding pressing, from DeAgostini, far superior to the retailers/shop copies.
    I'm really pleased with this, having a corrected sounding copy, of AHDN, will keep, the clipped chord copy, it might be collectable, in a few yrs, who knows. The other faulty copy, i have, will, be on it's way, to the charity shop, when i get round to it.

Can't wait to get a copy, of Past Masters, next Friday,to finish, off the series, hopefully, my local Tesco's, will have them, in stock, they've been v.reliable, up to now, with stocking this series, never had any problems, picking up, any of this series, they probably won't have many in stock, but i pick them up, a couple of days, after they come in, so i should'nt have a problem, getting one. There were no copies, of the Blue 67-70 album, in stock, when i went in today.
    I will be sorry, to see the end of this series. I've really enjoyed, collecting these, great S.Q, and nice retro packaging. :cool:

Yosi and Antx like this.
  23. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

But, better than the 90s ones.

They were double lp sets weren't they? Probably the longest sides ever - 30 minutes plus, I believe

24. stevenson66g

stevenson66g Hand me my Revolver

I believe the poster you responded to was talking about the Anthologies

25. deanb64

deanb64 Active Member

Let's hear it for Ringo. Well deserved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.