Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Wayne Shorter, "Speak No Evil" Blue Note SACD

[​IMG]

2. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

Here's another one by Cannonball.
    This is actually the coolest CD I have. Not an easy one to buy.
    [​IMG]
    Rick's voice, the echoes, tracks like Capricorn or Taurus...
    [​IMG]
    Julian, Nat, Duke... They were on fire on this period.

bluejimbop and bluemooze like this.
  3. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I really wish Cannonball had lived longer than his short 46 years to have been able to enjoy the period when jazz really became re-established and great artists could make the albums they wished to record rather than just for the market. If he had lived to be one of the great elders of jazz, he would have been widely acclaimed and left a discography that was more than twice what he had already accomplished.

He was only a little older than Sonny Rollins and could have enjoyed being revered as one of the all time greats for all of these past 40 years. A brain hemorrhage took him away. I can imagine some alto sax and piano duets from Cannonball.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

One of the CDs included in Roscoe Mitchell Complete Black Saint & Soul Note box. Jay Clayton sings like a synthesizer.
    [​IMG]

Starwanderer, bluemooze and alankin1 like this.
  5. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Agree about Cannonball's trajectory of he hadn't died so young. That would have been amazing to witness, but it was not to be.

NP John Surman/Jack DeJohnette - The Amazing Adventures Of Simon Simon (ECM) U.S. lp
    John plays some synth on this which is used as more of a tapestry on which to "paint" with his reeds. Jack plays piano as well as drums make ng it an interesting duo recording. Released in 198, it sounds really fresh in today's world of electronic baths.

A question, is there something particular about the title? It sounds like a children's game.

bluemooze and alankin1 like this.
  6. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I've read that it can go for silly money on vinyl as well. I owned ot at one time but I can't remember selling it off but I must have......It's an interesting album as is the Holy Bible themed album as well but that might have been Nat's album, I can't remember for sure.

Have you heard the album 74 Miles Away? The title track is a corker.

7. OldJohnRobertson

OldJohnRobertson Martyr for Even Less

@Tribute Thanks for all your information on Erroll Garner. That was a treasure trove of information and a fantastic read!

I picked up a bunch of Columbia jazz LPs today, including this upgrade...and it's actually quiet! No popping, no ambient crackle, etc. My 11 year old came downstairs as I was commenting to my wife about how quiet this record is. She said "Wow dad, this sounds like you're streaming it." :D :D :D

Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out (1959)
    1960 US stereo pressing on Columbia Records

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I can’t stop playing this one. My favourite from SAM records. A young Barney Wilen joins them on a number of the tunes. Beautifully recorded and the reissue sounds great
    NP
    [​IMG]

9. Lonson

Nucleus with Leon Thomas "Live 1970"

[​IMG]

Peter A, bluemooze and jay.dee like this.
  10. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

I did not realize that one was out on SACD. Is it a Japan import? Hybrid or single layer. I have the old nonremaster and the RVG remaster.

11. Lonson

Single layer SHM-SACD released last month from Universal Japan. To be honest. . . I'm not thrilled with the sound but it sounds better than the two that you have to me.

SOONERFAN likes this.
  12. JazzVinyl

JazzVinyl Forum Resident

Good lord, it's Tord...

[​IMG]

13. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Cannonball Adderley And The Poll-Winners (Riverside) black stereo label
    With Ray Brown and Wes Montgomery and wow, Ray's deep bass really comes through on this recording. Wally Heider did good. :righton: Of course I think Ray might have a little bit to do with being able to hear him so well. :)

14. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

Actually it's Soul of the Bible. I've made a post about it already. A very underrated one, maybe it should have been a bit shorter but has great tracks on it.

Thanks for the 74 miles away... It's now on repeat. Love the Coltrane spiritual vibe on it.
    But "Black Messiah" recorded in 1971 at the Troubadour is still my favorite live track from Cannonball.

yesstiles and Six String like this.
  15. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

The 'Trio of Greatness' pic may be an all-timer fave of mine for the period.
    Indeed, if a photo is worth a thousand notes this one is it. Thanks Tribute.
    The thread brings out the best in 'jazz and conversation'. Now I need to break
    out that Cannonball Adderley/Coltrane '59 album that has been sitting around,
    plus quite a few others that I loaded up on many many yrs ago during one of
    those 'rabbit holes' periods of the penultimate music purchase.

16. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Speaking of Wes....
    NP Wes Montgomery - In Paris the ORTF recordings

I am playing the heck out of this release. I'm willing to be the Seattle recording is also great but I haven't heard it. This one is a real winner.

Edit, ah yes Soul Of the Bible. I had that one too at one time. I prefer his Riverside and earlier albums although there is plenty to like on Capitol. The live one is terrific.

bluemooze likes this.
  17. OldJohnRobertson

OldJohnRobertson Martyr for Even Less

This spin is @sami approved. I've never heard this album before now. I'm really loving the latin flavor. :D

Chico Hamilton - Chic Chic Chico (1965)
    1972 US pressing on Impulse Records

[​IMG]

18. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Listening to two great Fred Hersch trio live at the Vanguard albums -- different trios recorded 15 years apart, both great....Sunday Night at the Vanguard followe by this one:

[​IMG]

Now I have do find my copy of the in-between one from 2012.

19. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Fifteen years ago there was one in Grand Central Station, and another one in the Bridgewater Mall, NJ. Don't know the current status of either. :)

20. Lonson

There's "Love, Sex and the Zodiac" too. Axelrod was sort of hit and miss with Cannon and Nat for me, but when it hit it hit hard. I love the Cannonball solos in these albums.

DTK and Yesternow like this.
  21. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Yeah Cannonball always gave his all no doubt. It was some of the other "stuff" I couldn't abide.

22. Six String

Six String Senior Member

WP Fantastic Frank Strozier (VJ) rainbow rim mono
    With the great Booker Little, Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers and Jimmy Cobb. So you got Miles' rhythm section with Booker Little replacing Miles! and Strozier the lone reed. Now that's a band.

NP Charles Sullivan - Genesis (InnerCity)
    Not well known and maybe partly do to him going the education route to earn a living. Great technique and what little that's out there is very good if not great. I hesitate to use that word a lot. He put out a cd in the 90s that is also really good. I'm not aware of anything else but I haven't searched in a while.

bluemooze, vanhooserd and Soulpope like this.
  23. [​IMG]

I want to get on with my cleaning chores, I really do. But Philly Joe Jones, Mr P.C., Curtis Fuller, Lee Morgan and that damn sax player won't let me.. :shake:

As soon as Kenny Drew finishes his solo on 'Moment's Notice'... :agree:

24. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

My favorite from that label as well... I play it all the time. Perfect for some weekend mornings.

bluemooze and Stu02 like this.
  25. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

Late into the late night, glad to have found it from the pile...

[​IMG]