Greta Van Fleet...Anyone?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tree of Life, Jun 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

Wolfmother had a bit more Deep Purple/Uriah Heep influence and werent afraid to play loud, brash power chords to compete with (or even drown out) the vocals. GVF is vocal centric, which only serves to make the Zeppelin comparisons stronger.

JasonA likes this.
  2. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

Going to see these kids tonight.

I'll status back...

3. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I you-tubed a couple of songs to see what all the hype was about. I expected I would really like it, especially since so many great retro rock bands have been bubbling up all over Europe the past decade, particularly in Sweden. But I don't like what I'm hearing. It's sort of like someone grafted Hanson onto Led Zeppelin or something. The singer is good and the playing is respectable, but there isn't much there there, IMO.

4. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Surprised you didn't like "Flower Power" or "Black Smoke Rising".

MikeInFla likes this.
  5. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

That's hilarious. 'Cuz there are three bros in the band? I think it's pretty cool actually.

Having three kids that are that musically talented (and actually like classic rock) is a blessing. Mom and Dad must be proud.

Good on them I say.

6. Barnabas Collins

I was too. I didn't *hate* those songs or anything, just not enough meat on the bones for me.

artfromtex likes this.
  7. Barnabas Collins

Nah, nothing wrong with siblings in a band. I'm glad they've found an audience for what they do. I just find them rather poppy and a bit too image based for my taste. Even the music is a tad too clean cut for me.

8. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Ordered the new one from iTunes and love it. I got it for $2.73, not bad since I ordered the previous EP this one was discounted. Might have to order on vinyl. People complain, so what. I dig 'em and that's all I care about. People can whine all they want. If they played nu-metal people would complain. If they sounded like One Direction people would complain. So they kind of sound like Zep and people complain. I don't care, I'll take it!

snipe and Tree of Life like this.
  9. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

They still have a lot of work to do.
    Great novelty band but they just do not have the vibe.
    I can see why they only have an ep...

10. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

They have two EP's. Maybe because they were still in high school last year.

MikeInFla and RandelPink like this.
  11. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

Show was good last night. Packed to the rafters. Lots of young kids, 10-16. I was amazed how they screamed when the guitarist took a solo. Made me smile.

This was about as close to a hometown show as they're going to do for awhile, so I imagine they had plenty of family members and school mates in the crowd. The kids knew the words to the songs and sang them loud.

I'm not sure I've seen a band that was so green. They were obviously overwhelmed by the crowd's reception. They started the show nearly pinned to the back of the stage and it took a few songs for them to get comfortable. The bassist was prodding the singer to talk all night. The mix sucked and it was 3/4 of the show before I could hear the vox clearly. He was definitely hitting the notes at that point.

I would imagine that most classic hard rock fans over 50 today feel the same way as blues fans over 50 felt when Zeppelin dropped back in the late-60s. You may not like this band necessarily, but you can't help but be happy to see young fans finally attracted to the style of music you love. If Greta Van Fleet inspires a hundred other young bands to rediscover the blues it can only be a good thing.

12. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

Heard them during drive time on the local classic rock station in my hometown over the holidays. This is a mid-market station in a town that is slow to catch on to new music. That to me is a sign that these guys are on their way.

13. So, if people today are comparing them to Zeppelin, who where people 50 years ago comparing Zeppelin to?

14. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

Muddy Waters
    Howlin' Wolf
    Willie Dixon
    Skip James

MikeInFla likes this.
  15. Compared to or influenced by?

16. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Plus Cream, The Yardbirds, Small Faces and Jeff Beck Group
    <edit> The Who

MikeInFla likes this.
  17. Those are contemporaries of Zep. Who are the contemporaries GVF are being compared to?

18. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Wolfmother, Rival Sons

Stormrider77 and MikeInFla like this.
  19. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

Influenced by. That's all that matters.

They're compared to Hanson. Doesn't mean they're influenced by them.

20. Sorry, I thought you were comparing them to Zeppelin in one of your earlier posts.

21. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I was reading through this thread this morning and inspired to stop at my local..thr best record store in Canads...Zap Records in Cobourg, Ontario.
    Ran in and picked up From The Fires.
    I am on track 8.
    There are the obvious similarities and influences that have been discussed throughout the thread.
    I am enjoying it.
    They certainly have potential to keep the rock flag flying high.
    Also being from Frankenmuth, the Christmas town in Michigan that my wife and I have visited on a few occasions, peaked my interest as well.
    Glen

MikeInFla and RandelPink like this.
  22. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

They are the lamest 'influenced by LZ' band I've ever heard, bar none.

Compared to these clowns, Kingdom Come were Led Zeppelin.

23. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

Can we mark you down as undecided?

Lownote30, pocofan and MikeInFla like this.
  24. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Just a little too derivative for me, I'm afraid. When I hear these guys, all I really hear is a Led Zeppelin impression. And that gets in the way of the music, overshadows it. I understand that's a "me" thing, something I can't ask anyone else to agree with, but at the same time I think that may ultimately be a problem for the band because I don't think I'm alone in that thought process.

Marty T and violetvinyl like this.
  25. Zep didn't sound like these artists.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.