The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING

and who would that be?:laugh: Yuk...Yuk...

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  2. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

Eddie VH as well

3. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

Yep, Maestro Eduardo started on the drums, but everybody knows that story by now so I won’t repeat it again. Who are some others? Chris Cornell (RIP) is one I can think of. Other obvious ones I’m missing?

4. GodShifter

That’s my favorite Cathedral record right there. The EP they released Soul Sacrifice is really good, too. I’ve always loved Gary Jennings as a guitarist; a total riffmeister. Unfortunately, Lee Dorrian has to be one of the worst metal vocalists in the genre (a terrible lyricist as well). His label sucks too! Haha! (well not really but there have been a lot of complaints about Rise Above in terms of their vinyl pressings).

Natvecal. likes this.
  5. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

[​IMG]

Odd timing. I bought this earlier in the week and spun it for the first time this morning. I've been aware of Frank Marino for quite some time but never got around to ever listening to anything by him. First listen was quite enjoyable, great guitarist for sure but the songs were good too.

6. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

Madonna?;)

GodShifter likes this.
  7. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Ernie Isley

GodShifter likes this.
  8. GodShifter

Seriously?

It’d be a lot cooler if it was true ...

four sticks and Murph like this.
  9. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

[​IMG]

10. dmiller458

11. dmiller458

On her earlier rock recordings, she was a borderline Chrissie Hynde clone.

Matthew Tate and Murph like this.
  12. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Steven Tyler

13. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

If you dug that you REALLY need to check out DoubleLive, RealLive, and for studio good measure Juggernaut, & Eye of the Storm (just for starters).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Beware that some of his albums have been re-re-re-released multiple times in varying sound quality & with different (or no) bonus tracks. Some have even been needle-drops. I didn't buy the last set of remasters btw (some of his later albums like Juggernaut).

four sticks and Natvecal. like this.
  14. Natvecal.

What's your advice on the best mastering? I got a Nice Price FM&MR Live and the BGO s IV though What's Next(5 CDS span)Juggernaut ,I can't find at all (bet I lent this to some one ?GRRrrh!!!) The first three MR albums I don't like (Hendrixisms galore! Indeed.)I need to get some of these later ones you listed for sure!Thanks:)

15. dmiller458

Interesting, because they are my favorites (aside from his live works).

16. Natvecal.

Good pick!
    Remember that Gap commercial with Steven & Joe Perry ? Steven's playing a snare,Hi-hat and kick drum? If I recall correctly that is.... My old best friend who was a fantastic drummer told me when we saw that commercial together one night that Steven knew what he was doing just from watching that short little bit of Steven on the 3 piece.(I think a 3 piece,right?)Also one of the reasons Joey Kramer has that eye twitch. From Steven telling him what to play!:laugh:

Matthew Tate and GodShifter like this.
  17. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I can't comment on the masterings/sound quality, my ears/brain aren't sharp enough. I only remember that some of the early releases/albums were way too hissy for me.

If you're looking for Juggernaut I know that that is one that Rock Candy recently did a reissue for.

GodShifter likes this.
  18. Natvecal.

I'm laughing at the irony of this (not you)as I was so confused to the general "Eh...." kind of response to FM&MR Live that I was praising.And now that I get were @slipkid and @GodShifter are coming from and better understanding their POVs. Now,I've gone and dumped a "Eh..." on your favorite 3! This might be a good time to tell your story concerning FM? Maybe? What was your first song/album for yourself?What got you "Stoked"on Frank?:) Looking forward to you adding yours to our stories as we all seem to prefer different albums(or eras) of Frank. But, we all agree Frank is great,right?

GodShifter likes this.
  19. Natvecal.

RockCandy isn't well liked on this Forum it seems.....(I saw the logo on that sticker on the CD pictured of FM&MR Live you gave the album advice to and wondered as to it)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. four sticks

The FM Live disc I posted is the Rock Candy release. It sounds fine to me although I have nothing to compare it to. It does have two excellent bonus tracks from California Jam II.

Matthew Tate and slipkid like this.
  21. Natvecal.

Thanks for your input here! I used to have the California Jam records. I'm A King Bee and Johnny B. Good? Are those the tracks? I believe (off memory only here so,you know......)there was one song on each one? Cal Jam I &II? Or maybe I'm mucking this up in my head too? What are the bonus tracks?Very curious now ha ha:D Off note; By the late '70s Live albums were coming out left & right by rock bands and many great releases were had during this time. This is one of the top ones among them IMHO.I first heard FM &MR Live in my H.S. buddies garage along with Unleashed & If You Want Blood (all three for the first time listen)blasting away in 78/79.My buddy had really good taste and feel the need of giving him his due here!:agree:

22. Natvecal.

Agree. I like these. The Forest Of Equilibrium(right title? goin' off the top of my head here) was (for me) painfully.....s..l....o...w...Ha Ha. I mean these guys (to me) at the time had the slowest tempo on earth and I'm sure that was thier point /goal obviously. But, for me? I was vainly trying to sink my hand into my speakers in an attempt to grab the drummer's stick and and hit the snare drum already! I had never heard a band drag out a single beat like that before at this time! I mean 4 measures their speed =2:00 time just to complete Ha ha :laugh: I think the band Sleep is like this?

23. four sticks

Yes, I'm A King Bee and Johnny B Goode, both from CJII.

[​IMG]

24. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Before Pearl Jam, Eddie Vedder was the drummer for the legendary Seattle grunge band: Citizen Dick. :wiggle:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Btw I have an old bootleg release of the Cal Jam show and his set was:

The Answer
    Dragonfly
    I'm a King Bee
    Johnny B Goode
    Electric Reflections of War
    World Anthem
    Purple Haze

So I guess it was the same set as for that live album, just shorter!

Natvecal. and four sticks like this.