Best hardware acquisition of 2017

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Davey, Dec 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robertash

robertash Forum Resident

Denon DL301 II. Did you know it can take four headhsell screws/bolt?

Robert MIlls.

bluemooze likes this.
  2. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

O - M - G ! I think Tullman should have an SHF party night. All Boston and vicinity members of the SHF can come over for a listening session. I’ll bring the chips and salsa!

Manimal and Tullman like this.
  3. Sharp 1080

Sharp 1080 Well-Known Member

2017 has been a big change. Sold most of my home theater gear and went back to 2 channel mono/stereo. I purchased an Audio Research Reference 10 preamplifier and Dan D'Agostino Progression monoblocks.

timind, mreeter, monte4 and 5 others like this.
  4. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

5. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Ive had three sets of Martin Logans, The Purity were my favorites.

PTgraphics likes this.
  6. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

I wanna see pictures. I moved that way too. Removed an AVR pre/pro for an ARC pre. Wish i could have swung a Ref5.

I crashed a tour of ARC earlier this year. From their listening room.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    timind, Manimal, Sharp 1080 and 6 others like this.
  7. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

I snuck in some gear under the deadline. New-to-me Odyssey Stratos Extreme and Candela tube line stage. My phono stage wasn't the best match to my old pre/pro, an Anthem Statement D2 w/Arc, and I was able to pick both up fairly locally for a very good price on both. They are extremely impressive so far with my Dyn speakers, which I know love current and they're getting plenty of it now. I still nominate my cartridge because I think it all starts with the source (assuming the room is well-sorted) but man, I wasn't expecting to like this new stuff this much considering what it replaced wasn't exactly sub-par gear.

[​IMG]

And now my OCD is tripping out over the little slab of maple the amp is sitting on (which is sitting on vibration blocks, if anyone cares). Gonna have to fix that once I power it back down.

8. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

* Sony UHP-H1 Universal Player - Used with Schiit BiFrost for decoding CD’s and SACD’s
    * SVS SB12-NSD Subwoofer - Used with Harbeth P3ESR
    * Harbeth M30.1 - Ordered DEC 2017, arriving JAN 2018.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    patient_ot, bluemooze and DrZhivago like this.
  9. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

timind, Manimal, Sharp 1080 and 7 others like this.
  10. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

All you need is some speakers and a source and that will be quite some system!

11. putz

putz Forum Resident

2017 upgrades

1. Used Merrill Audio Veritas stereo amp. Basically 2 monos in one case. Replaced a Classe CA200 amp. Quicker, quieter and way more slam
    2. Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme speaker cables. These cables are really the cat's meow. One of my few purchases of a new item.
    3. Used Zesto Audio Andros 1.2 phono stage. Replaced a Sutherland PH3D . Upgraded the 12AX7 tubes to Mullards and Telefunkens. Another big improvement. Warmer, more detailed. Quieter and that's with tubes and replacing a battery powered stage.

2018 wants. Won my Fantasy Football league so I have $$ to burn.

A better power conditioner. Looking at Audioquest Niagara 1000 and Blue Circle Audio PLC Thingee FX2 X0e

IsoAcoustic Gaia feet for some of my components. Might try them on my speakers too.

Amp and cables not much to look at, but the Zesto:

[​IMG]

12. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

I have been looking @ this one for some time. The Australian price of $600 AUD for 1.5 m of cable seems rather steep.

Do you know how would its little brother (Pro Power Oval) fare? @ $300 AUD for 1.5 m, would it be a worthwhile investment?

Kind Regards

Slippers-on likes this.
  13. Buddy>Elvis

Buddy>Elvis Senior Member

Was an expensive year as I purchased a Sugden A21SE and a Benz Micro Wood SL. Both great so no complaints.

timind, Davey and Cliff like this.
  14. heyMo

heyMo Forum Resident

Was able to get a Rega RP8 which came with a Soundsmith Otello cartridge. Had a very nice sound but improved with adding the Tavish Design Vintage phono amp later.

patient_ot likes this.
  15. nola27

nola27 Active Member

a Yamaha A-S801 a week ago.

16. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

My Focal Sopra 2's

17. Minty_fresh

Minty_fresh Forum Resident

Less of an upgrade but more of a lateral move from an old Sansui 2000a I paid $80 for to a scratch and dent $400 Marantz PM6005.

I’m anxiously awaiting being able to upgrade my phono stage....

nola27 and patient_ot like this.
  18. beavis

beavis Forum Resident

Pre-loved LFD LE phono stage and two pre-loved Auditorium A23 SUTs, one for my Denon DL 103 and one for my Ortofon SPUs. Yummy!

patient_ot likes this.
  19. Ulises

Ulises Forum Resident

All my purchases were inspired by this forum. Found some used Proac Tablette 10s for my office that have made working from home a joy rather than a burden. Got some record dividers from Koeppel Designs and organized my collection. Most recently, bought a JL Audio dl110 subwoofer for my main system to pair with my Harbeth c7es3s. I was always skeptical about subs, but this has been a game changer. Big thanks to @avanti1960 for the idea.

20. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

Hi Doc,
    I am not sure but I assume you should get benefit regardless, the Oval design is a key process I think. Plus the shielding properties.........Keep checking online and when ready to buy simply call dealers and see if they will wheel and deal over the phone. Normally they will not give their best price via email, but if they know you have CC in hand they don't want to lose the sale.

Cheers

DrZhivago likes this.
  21. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

nice work todd! people who own the odyssey amps really like them and now you have enough current to drive the dyns at warp speed!
    better warn the neighbors when the crescendos of "Los Endos" start playing.......

hi_watt and toddrhodes like this.
  22. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

Hah! My neighbor actually might be coming over tonight for tunes :)

So oddly, I went NuPrime ST-10 (unmodified) --> Odyssey Stratos+ in Khartago case --> NuPrime ST-10 (upgraded by TDSS) --> Odyssey Stratos Extreme in proper case.

So, I've basically gone back and forth from two very different iterations of two very different amplifiers. Stunning differences and you could almost make a case that both are welcome (upgraded ST-10 and Stratos Extreme) but since I only keep one at a time, the Extreme is a clear winner. It has all the nuance and subtlety of the upgraded ST-10, and then some, but the dynamic swings just get into your soul with this amp. The ST-10 can do that reasonably well but this Extreme monster just takes it to a whole nother level. I was hearing into music that I had heard further into with the upgraded ST-10. And then there's the "drive" of the music. I always felt like the ST-10 was excellent at moderate volume but keep going up and it collapsed in on itself. The upgraded version less-so than the unmodified one, but at least on these speakers, it just couldn't keep up. The Extreme has no such issue.

I still own the Stratos+ Khartago and it's down with Klaus now being looked at.

We may be looking at a project to take both the "Khartago" and the "Extreme" and end up with Kismet monos.

Maybe.

Bananas&blow and avanti1960 like this.
  23. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I would also like to add that I found a phono cable that really improved my analog rig. I find that playback quality is really affected by the quality of phono cable, much more than I expected. I have a Furutech Silver Arrow II in for review and I will probably have to buy it now as it is much better than any I have heard.

Slippers-on likes this.
  24. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I replaced my complete set-up, except the interconnects, power cords and power conditioner.

My Wilson Audio Duette was fine, but the Series-2 is definitely better. Better soundstage and transparency. I also replaced my Jeff Rowland pre- and poweramps with amps by Pass Labs. They work perfect with the Wilson's. Finally I replaced my dCS Puccini with EMM Labs.

Shoalcove and LeeS like this.
  25. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Suggestion: also check out the Shunyata Denali and Synergistic PowerCell 12 conditioners.

putz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.