Whitesnake - The Purple Tour - Jan '18

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Curveboy, Dec 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fusionfan

Fusionfan Forum Resident

Much of this thread seems more like a Blabbermouth comments section full of malcontents.

Coverdale in his prime was one of the all time greats and at least he still has plenty of personality and swagger as well as a kick ass band these days.

I saw Joe Lynn Turner recently and his voice was fabulous.

You people should enjoy what is left of this rock or find something else you do enjoy which seems somewhat unlikely for many of you.

2. Munros1969

Munros1969 Forum Resident

I agree that Coverdale, in his prime, was one of the greats... Purple MkIII and early Whitesnake are hard to beat. And he certainly has the personality... those videos posted earlier by Curveboy where he talks about the new interpretations of the Deep Purple songs clearly show that. Comes across as a first class chap.

My problem with the liv Burn album I s simply the sound of that material relative to what he turned out all those years back. It’s not for me but I guess it works for others and I also appreciate I’m probably stuck in the past and can’t see beyond Deep Purple at the California Jam and Whitesnake live circa 1982..!! I also think if Coverdale turned his hand to some mellower material, like his early solo stuff, it would be very well received.

You’re right about enjoying what’s left of the classic era. I saw Rainbow in the summer. Didn’t expect much but was blown away by how good Blackmore was. I’ve no doubt that if I saw Whitesnake now I’d come away feeling the same about Coverdale.

3. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I don't know much about Blabbermouth and I don't see too many malcontents in this particular thread. Just people giving their opinion of the current version of Whitesnake. If Curveboy had started the thread and requested that "haters" or critics need to stay out of the thread, I would gladly have obliged. For what it's worth, I'm glad there is an audience for these songs and that folks like you enjoy Coverdale and his current band (and voice). And for people like me, we'll always have Deep Purple, early Whitesnake and the Coverdale solo albums to treasure.

I also agree that JLT's voice has held up remarkably well.

4. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think in general haters should stay out of threads...I certainly don't jump into every Led Zep thread to bash Plant.

rebetis, Sentient Six and Fusionfan like this.
  5. Munros1969

Munros1969 Forum Resident

After recoiling in horror at the live version of Burn posted at the start of this thread I happened to be looking through some boxes of CDs and came across a copy of the Purple Album. I forgot I had it and it’s never been listened to. I stuck it on today and, you know what... it’s actually pretty good. A great selection of tunes played and sung well. For me they’ll never touch the originals but I can honestly say I enjoyed this and will play it again.

Not sure this will convince me to try the live album though.

Curveboy and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. Count Orfloff

Count Orfloff Forum Resident

What haters ? Coverdale was easily one of the very best between Burn and Slide It In. I certainly don't hate him. I don't like the parody he morphed into when he decided to break the american market.

7. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I’m not a “hater” either as I love Whitesnake up to the s/t 1987 album. I’d be a hater if I never liked anything he ever did (which is the case with you and Plant) and stated, categorically, “David Coverdale has always been terrible”. I’m simply giving my opinion of the current state of his voice and his work. Is it negative? Yes, but it’s a honest opinion. Isn’t that what forums are about? To discuss the good and bad of an artist? Should everything always be glowingly positive?

8. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

I finally figured out who the girl in the "Burn" video reminds me of... The Soska Twins!

[​IMG]

johnny q and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. Claus

Claus Senior Member

A good example is Robert Plant. He can't sing Led Zep anymore, and changed his vocal style. The best he could do.

David Coverdale want stop the time, but he can't. Bad voice on stage and even in the studio he only can sing with technical help.

10. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

its a shame because coverdale does have a voice he can use to do different things but just doesn't

11. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

today is the big day

anyone for day 1 on this release?

got a shipping confirmation, so it'll be a few days still...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

I'll get it eventually but I just have to wonder how much I'll replay it. I agree that he's milking the Purple Album for possibly past its sell-by date (the studio album came out almost 3 years ago. Was it even that much of a "hit"? I think that when he released Forevermore, they were able to milk it for a long time what with Made In Japan, etc., but that album at least seems to have been a success with most fans and critics).

BTW, I believe the next WS studio album is to be called Flesh And Blood.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Got it today and will give it a front to back look/listen. Will report back in later.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

Looking forward to your review !

15. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Arrived today......CD sounds s**t hot. Coverdale's vocals hold up pretty well......band sounds pretty tight.......promising for the new album out this year.

Of course, on the back of the 1987 Anniversary set, and especially the live CD in that set, this makes you realise how poor the 1987 tour line up was.........

Not watched the DVD yet and not sure when I will get round to it.

Only bummer is there are 4 audio tracks on the DVD that unfortunately will never get listened to unless I find a way of ripping them to MP3.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. Curveboy

Mine was delivered...I'm still stuck at work!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Almost done watching this. This is shot really well. No crazy quick cuts and minimal video effects.
    I saw this tour and thought the show was great and this is just as good if not better. There are some vocal fixes here and there but it's not distracting. Mistreated is phenomenal. Reb Beach does a fantastic guitar tour de force on it. The band cooks overall. I can see why David wants to get another new album out and tour. Lots of chemistry here which I was worried about when Doug Aldrich left if that would screw up the band, but it didn't. You can't compare the DP songs to the originals. That's not the way to listen to them. They put their own spin on it. There was no point if they were going to be note for note. Also, David has done only a handful of DP songs on Whitesnake tours with one or 2 songs in about half the tours he has done. Why not revisit these since he hasn't played all but a few in 40 years? Nobody except for Glenn Hughes is doing them and he only does a few at this point as well.

zen, slipkid, Curveboy and 2 others like this.
  18. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Think I got it last week but looking now I can't find it....sheesh...was really sick over the weekend, God knows where I stashed it...

19. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

^^^Well, this was the intention before the stomach virus knocked me out of commission for the entire weekend!

Watched it front to back - really enjoyed it. As others have already mentioned, the video is shot very well. The audio in my personal opinion, sounds like mud. I will watch/listen again to see if my perception changes. I like how this band inserts a high dose of octane into these Purple songs -it works. Beach and Hoekstra are two incredible players, maybe a bit too technical and shreddy for some, but personally speaking I find it awe inspiring - looking forward to the new album.

slipkid likes this.
  20. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

finally arrived today. quick thoughts after a few songs on the blu ray...

*sound quality is superior to any online format. this alone should be reason to get it. cannot compare the soundtrack to what you get on spotify for instance. almost two different albums.
    * video quality suffers from some low quality camera angles, and what's probably a deliberate move to make it look a bit hip and trendy. (in a terrible 1992ish kind of way..). In this department, Made in Japan is much much better
    * DC sounds decent enough on some stuff, while he struggles with other stuff.

I would urge fans to buy this. To convert a non fan though, this is not the way to go. Hammersmith 2004 is the benchmark for live videos in Whitesnake World. (annoying effects there as well, but....)

slipkid, Matthew Tate and Curveboy like this.
  21. rockphantom

rockphantom Forum Resident

I've recently watched the Purple Tour Blu-Ray on my 2013 Playstation 3. The audio drops out for a second, every few minutes. The disc is in pristine condition. Does anyone else have this issue? I assume I got a faulty disc. Feedback would be appreciated. Thank you!

22. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

Not an issue for me...

23. zen

zen Senior Member

That sounds dangerous.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Curveboy

I wonder if this has to do with the recent PS3 update...I've had problems on several discs.

rockphantom likes this.
  25. rockphantom

rockphantom Forum Resident

I have watched the entire Purple Tour Blu-Ray on my PS4 and it plays back flawlessly. I preferred using my PS3 for disc playback. However, I'll switch over to the PS4.
    Thank you for the information, Curveboy. I never would have guessed that the firmware update caused the issue with the WS disc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.