Judas Priest re-issues?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wpjs, Dec 2, 2017.

1. WhoDaresWins

WhoDaresWins Forum Resident

I think it is an underrated gem. I don't understand the negativity in this lp. Maybe, it's because I got into the JP catalogue very late in their career.

2. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

Not yet....neither did Defenders of The Faith

3. cageyc

cageyc Forum Resident

Defenders and Ram It Down are slated for release Jan. 20 or so, can be pre-ordered on Amazon. My POE arrived yesterday, and sounds really nice. Also ordered Sin After Sin from Target, on sale for $15 as of yesterday.

4. Pouchkine

Pouchkine Forum Resident

The first side is great, the second side is just terrible. The album is over after Solar Angels. Turbo has fewer bad songs that POE.

The Slipperman likes this.
  5. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

Hmmm. I thought this was a thread about JP reissues, not the “JP albums I think are/aren’t crap” thread. :shh:

Merry Christmas and/or Happy Holidays!

Metalrob likes this.
  6. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Where are these pressed? Don't own any JP on LP so thinking these might be good to get.

7. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Any word on AoR on it’s quality getting it soon on order

8. Tojo

Tojo Forum Resident

Sound quality on Stained class?

jimhb and Metalrob like this.
  9. elsanto

elsanto Forum Resident

10. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Picked up AOR and Stained Class so far. Very happy with the sound on both of these. I don't own any original pressings so can only compare to original cds (I've got the original Colombia/CBS mastering of SC). Sound is similar here although sounds much clearer and open on the LP. Nice and dynamic.

AOR is a big step up from the CD, can finally hear some decent dynamics. There is still bits of compression in places but sounds like thats in the mix to me. The ending to 'Angel' is a revelation, so much more dynamic.

Both pressed at MPO. Quality is okay overall but AOR is definitely off center on side B (anyone else?). Luckily not bad enough to hear any pitch issues for me. Other that that they are all dead quiet and play superbly. Will likely pick up more soon as I can afford to.

Metalrob, Pouchkine and tinnox like this.
  11. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Good to hear on AOR was supposed to get from amazon yesterday but they screwed up and will be getting on 1/2/18 Now wanting even more and will be getting SFV when released next year

12. Rapid Fire

Rapid Fire Hyperactive!

I bought the new issue of Painkiller yesterday. I'm on the final song on side 2 now and I really liked this pressing. sounds great to me.

13. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I just purchased Screaming for Vengeance. With the digital download included, I couldn't resist! Sounds warm and dynamic. Anyone else hear some minor clicks on You got Another Thing Comin?

Metalrob likes this.
  14. Bjorn Kjetil Johansen

Bjorn Kjetil Johansen Vortex Surfer

I can confirm that Painkiller sounds good. It looks like all of these reissues are getting good reviews. I might pick up Killing Machine as well, if it is as good as an original. It's a good thing they included "The Green Manalishi (With The Two-Pronged Crown)", as this was not originally on European pressings.

Pouchkine, Metalrob and driverdrummer like this.
  15. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Spinning AOR for first time now. Like an idiot, I played side 2 first by accident :) I have not heard this album in ages and I like it better now than back on release day. It also helps that (to your point) this new vinyl release is a quantum leap forward in terms of fidelity. Listen to the way the guitars crunch on some of these songs (Ex: "Worth Fighting For") Very happy with this reissue series thus far!

Side B is centered, sorry! I feel your pain.

I will probably grab Ram It Down in 2018. However, the rest of these releases I have original pressings so I am good. Does anyone know if "Sad Wings" will be part of this campaign?

JQ

16. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Just got British Steel from all places Walmart Listening now and sounds very good

driverdrummer likes this.
  17. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

How does One Shot At Glory sound on your copy....on mine it sounds VERY brickwalled and distorted but the rest sounds FANTASTIC

18. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

I think you have a bad pressing, mine sounds good.

19. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

I went to f.y.e. and saw a few albums on sale for $20 each. Sadly, AOR wasn't there, but I'd probably have better luck at a proper record shop. Assuming the included downloads aren't just needledrops, then hopefully these new masterings can somehow find their way on CD and hi-res sites in the future. Maybe it could even happen after the last batch of vinyl has been released!

20. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

Yes likely....that song sounds night and day compared to the rest of the record...instantly noticeable

21. WhoDaresWins

WhoDaresWins Forum Resident

All these reissues sound really nice. Has there been any confirmation if theses are Digital or Analgue transfers (except for Painkiller and AoR which were originally recorded digital)?

22. dachada

dachada Senior Member

Pressed also in MPO. i think this new reissues are "in house" cuts

23. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

For what it's worth (maybe not much), I needle dropped Painkiller. Here are the DR numbers:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed folder: /Volumes/Radagast/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/Judas Priest/Painkiller (LP Definitive)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR Peak RMS Filename

DR12 -1.24 dB -14.22 dB 01 Painkiller.m4a
    DR11 -1.62 dB -14.15 dB 02 Hell Patrol.m4a
    DR12 -2.09 dB -15.03 dB 03 All Guns Blazing.m4a
    DR12 -2.80 dB -15.67 dB 04 Leather Rebel.m4a
    DR11 -2.43 dB -15.78 dB 05 Metal Meltdown.m4a
    DR12 -0.80 dB -15.23 dB 06 Night Crawler.m4a
    DR11 -0.89 dB -14.02 dB 07 Between the Hammer & the Anvil.m4a
    DR12 -0.16 dB -13.89 dB 08 A Touch of Evil.m4a
    DR9 -9.44 dB -20.81 dB 09 Battle Hymn.m4a
    DR11 -1.40 dB -13.92 dB 10 One Shot at Glory.m4a

Number of files: 10
    Official DR value: DR11

==============================================================================================

They're pretty close to the numbers for the CD. Battle Hymn is a 10 on the DR for the CD, but A Touch of Evil is an 11, so maybe I split the tracks funny? One Shot at Glory is an 11 for both the LP and CD. I didn't have to remove any clicks.

Pouchkine, Metalrob and Queezma like this.
  24. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

I wonder how this defect occurs? From what I've read in the past, usually the whole run is affected as the stamper gets aligned only once. Or could there be 2 runs of this press, one for each EU and US?

Not sure if I should try for another, will see how the others arrive first as don't want to be sending too many back. Have ordered Killing Machine and Sin After Sin. Want SFV too but waiting for it to hit £15.

25. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

This is a good question and I would like to know the answer as well. I too have been told that the whole run is affected, but I have seen that disproven. For example, I received 3 badly off center pressings of Rush Snakes And Arrows during release week, all from Amazon US. I inquired here if anyone had the same issues, from the exact same supplier and not one person did! Either the theory that the entire run is affected is incorrect, or some folks simply don't notice or know what to look for.

Anyway- very impressed with these vinyl reissues thus far. I really enjoyed listening to AOR front to back yesterday.

JQ

Pouchkine, Metalrob and tinnox like this.