Jimi Hendrix Both Sides of the Sky - new album coming March 9, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fsutall, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Picture Snatcher

Picture Snatcher Forum Residents

what about his family?

2. This thread sure took a bizarre turn...

Guy E, Rooster_Ties and 905 like this.
  3. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

Hep Alien likes this.
  4. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

Hendrix threads always do :laugh:

highway chile, The Beave, DTK and 2 others like this.
  5. Picture Snatcher

Picture Snatcher Forum Residents

well Tony Brown was the only one with a back up copy of the tape im sure. meaning the only chance for us ever to hear the real full tape is from his family. EH isn't going to release it cause of the Tami reference, and whatever we do get from it will digitally processed to all hell and kramerized to the point where its not the masterpiece the raw tape is

6. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

Anything's possible I suppose, regarding how much or if any of Black Gold is released. But previous home tapes put out by EH (the Maui home tape, stuff on WCSB) sounded fine to me. What do you mean by Kramerized? That he'll edit takes together like VON? Seems doubtful in regards to what we know about Black Gold.

They may yet release the tape with the Tami lyric intact. I mean, just because he uses her name in a song does this really prove anything? Sure it carries some weight but does anyone really think that this would suddenly change anything at all in regards to a share in Jimi's estate? Surely, if she would pursue a claim she would need a bit more than her name appearing in a lyric. I dont know all the history with her situation. Has she even tried to gain anything from the estate?

Then again, apparently that song, Little Red Velvet Room, is cut off when the tape runs out. They could always exclude it from some future release based on it being incomplete.

Hep Alien, Efus, Purple Jim and 2 others like this.
  7. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

There's photos of Tamika and Al Hendrix together in the 90's in google images. I think she was flown out to Seattle and given some monetary gifts.

Various DNA testing with Hendrix family members in Seattle, James Sunquist, Tamika and Leon could answer some longstanding questions. IIRC, Janie kept Al Hendrix DNA in some form for legal reasons.

FWIW, Jimi indirectly mentions James Sundquist in the IOW Red House. Belly button Window covers the topic as well, though it could also apply to Jimi's own birth.

Cokelike- likes this.
  8. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

I thought Belly Button Window was about Mitch Mitchell's kid?

Hep Alien and Efus like this.
  9. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

That's what Jimi told Billy Cox, but that was clearly just a light-hearted little aside.
    The song was started in 1969 long before Mitch had a baby and its theme is that of a child being born into a less that optimal family conditions, like Jimi was. He was pro-abortion.

Hep Alien and Pete Puma like this.
  10. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Yes and it had the working title of "Mr. & Miss Carriage Esq.":D

Hep Alien and DTK like this.
  11. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

James Sundquist was conceived at the start of 1969 and I think she got the word to Jimi. A bi-racial kid in Sweden born in the 60's would have had a VERY weird upbringing.

12. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

That's an interesting angle...but probably better than a poor black kid in Seattle. If that lyric was a message to Eva Sundquist it was basically...abort my kid. :eek:

The Beave and scott majchrowic like this.
  13. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

It is great, absolutely love it. And after reading more about these tracks this is gonna be an easy purchase for me. New Hendrix, sign me up!!!!

Hep Alien and footlooseman like this.
  14. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Doubtful it was some sort of direct message to Sundquist. He didn't start developing a master recording until the summer of 1970 well after the child was born. If he wanted Sundquist to seek an abortion, clearly there were more effective and timely ways of getting that message across.

15. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yeah I don't think so either; I was replying to another poster who forwarded that theory.

16. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Per usual, waaaaaaaay to much over-analysis and whiny criticisms of NEW JIMI HENDRIX material! Glad to have it released, looking forward to it and "the artwork is solid." I think I'm going to listen to Valleys of Neptune on my way home tonight.

supernaut and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Ha ha, I was reading this and about to do the "like", till I read the art comment!

Each to there own I suppose, art is a wonderfully subjective thing. But in this instance, why make Jimi look un-Jimi like?
    EH do have one or two more interesting shots that could have been used. And why o why do they use photshop to such an extent?

jhm and frank3si like this.
  18. I'll take the griping about the content over the side discussion concerning Jimi's girlfriends and issue.

supernaut, Moth, jhm and 5 others like this.
  19. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

Here's an RS article from '94 about James:
    Hendrix Jr. Sues Jimi Estate

20. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I just don't think it's nearly as pronounced or altered as others do and most of all, I like the theme and the colors. I love most of the artwork/covers on the Hendrix releases in the past 20 years. But hey, I would still buy it even if I didn't like the artwork for the music.

21. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

Just pre-ordered both the CD and vinyl from Amazon! I'm really excited for this release. I really enjoy VoN and PHA. PHA especially is one of my favorite Hendrix records to spin. I hope the quality holds up to those.

Anybody know if there will be hi resolution options available? If I am going to get double dipped, I might consider going with the high resolution version instead of a CD.

Matthew Tate, 905 and RandelPink like this.
  22. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

Let the guy Rest In Peace. My gosh. Stop will the recycling of stuff.

Maidenpriest and The Beave like this.
  23. street legal

street legal Senior Member

But there is previously unheard (officially, at least) material here.
    I wouldn't call that recycling.

andrewskyDE, Matthew Tate and Efus like this.
  24. Recycling what? I'll take as many different versions of Hear My Train A Comin' as they want to release.

25. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I doubt Janie and her legal team would be concerned with Tami's name being mentioned in a song. The likelihood of the song not being released would be more about reaffirming control over the narrative and a sense of vindictiveness rather than anything else. Janie probably wants to suppress the topic of conversation that Jimi left behind a biological daughter, so by omitting this particular song from the catalogue only assists her with that agenda.

As far as I know, Tami never tried to legally take a piece of, or share in the Hendrix estate. Her mother tried to establish her as an heir in the early 1970's, and rightfully so, but because Jimi was unable to comply with the DNA test prior to his death, under New York law circa 1972, there was not enough evidence or compliance under the law to name Tami as an heir at that time. Today it would likely be a different story.

It is very sad how many Hendrix blood relatives have never shared in Jimi's estate and that his own daughter has been omitted from his legacy, but he died intestate (that is Jimi's fault) and the courts named Al as the sole heir. It was ultimately Al's prerogative to name the beneficiaries of his choice years later when he prepared his own estate, and while there are debates as to whether he was coerced into making certain decisions or was of sound mind for the purposes of his estate planning, he did set up the family trust well before his death, and if we wanted to take care of certain family members (including Tami), he could have done so in the mid-1990's when he regained full-control over Jimi's estate, well before the estate drama spiraled out of control.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.