Check out my new Grundig Console

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by kippy, Jul 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

You should know. Whatever happened to Telefunken as a company?

2. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Telefunken was sold and starts with new line of low budget HiFi gear...

3. P2CH

P2CH Well-Known Member

I looked high and low for speaker grill cloth like that for my new Heresy's. I ended up finding something from a guitar amp line of cloth but not what I really wanted. I wanted that basket weave style.

4. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Telefunken quit making consumer electronics after incurring quite a few years of losses. AEG owned Telefunken. Telefunken is back, but making recording studio gear.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  5. coopmv

There are still a lot of NOS Telefunken vacuum tubes floating around for those who love tube amps and I have heard those tubes are excellent ...

Sneaky Pete and PhilBiker like this.
  6. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

I finally got the Grundig console set up tonight and what the eff - the effer effing works! Picks up my local classic rock station like a son-of-a-bitch and sounds freaking GREAT!!!! I sprayed some contact cleaner into the volume and turned it up and down just like you would to clean any potentiometer and it cleaned up just fine. It came with a spare needle that looks like this under my digital microscope:

[​IMG]

I just have to figure out how to install the damn thing. I pulled out the slug that was in there; it was a needle assembly with no cantilever or stylus. This stylus was in a box in the unit. Looks like both the 78 and 45/33 sides are ready for action!

Pictures and video will have to wait until I declare victory......

....I am very concerned that the tape and phono inputs share a jack and selection button......

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  7. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Tripower, that's a nice console. So many have been chopped up to sell the components, not many are left! The Dual 1009 is the perfect drop in to replace the record eating Grundig changer. I believe the tube amp only accepts a ceramic cart tho... so for use of a vintage Empire, Shure or Pickering magnetic cartridge, you'd need to connect a phono pre-amp to the turntable. These consoles are known for their excellent sound!

389 Tripower and PhilBiker like this.
  8. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Hey Biker, Ideally a tech would power up on a variac, which may prevent an old capacitor from failing on powerup. Otherwise just visually inspect before powerup, look for power cable issues, bad insulation, etc. Check all visible internal wiring, (what you can see) and check the fuse. If there is a direct short, chances are the fuse will blow. Be ready to pull the plug for any reason. If you see any sign of brown or black gunk around the transformer, or capacitor, (physical cap leakage) or anywhere on the circuit board, do not power up. To do so could take out other components, and may not blow the fuse. Many vintage units that produce sound, will not be operating to spec. So, even if working, it is advisable to have a tech check it out, and replace any marginal or electrically leaking caps.

389 Tripower likes this.
  9. PhilBiker

Will keep under advisement. Thank you.

My biggest concern is that the tape and turntable share an input which implies very strongly to me that there is a crappy ceramic cartrtidge behind this needle.

10. 389 Tripower

389 Tripower Just a little south of Moline

Thanks Fringe!
    Yup - Did that.. :righton: designed for ceramic carts. Made a power tap from the 120v wiring under the turntable, for a small pre-amp. Running M44 series cart with 7's & G' styli depending upon records best suited for. I got that console for $10 Canadian at a thrift shop in Saskatchewan when training for my current employer back in '95. It had no record player in it - just the hole.

I bought it because I thought it was cool, and we had no music in our apartment. My roommate laughed and said 'What are we going to do with that POS?"
    After a little work with it - should have seen his face after hearing how good his head-banging CD's sounded through the phono/aux input!!

The FRiNgE and PhilBiker like this.
  11. PhilBiker

Cross posted with the "show your room" thread. Here it is in all its glory. The tape input works perfectly for the DVD/SACD player so I don't think I'm even going to bother trying to get the turntable to work or wiring the whole house audio here. It's just fine as it is for now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pretty but non-functional:
    [​IMG]

12. Fedot L

Fedot L Forum Resident

Please:

Never play your critically important high quality vinyl records on “changers”.

To play critically important high quality vinyl records, use only TTs with tonearms having tracking force (vertical stylus force, stylus pressure, tracking weight etc.) 1.2…2.5 g (1,2 …2,5g if you like) adjustment and antiskating adjustment tools.

For any USED TT bought to play critically important high quality vinyl records (the conditions, see above), you must buy and install at least a NEW stylus (strictly for the cartridge model mounted on the tonearm), and if no longer available, a NEW cartridge with 1.2…2.5 g (1,2…2,5g if you like) tracking force.

And, before the first use, carefully adjust the vertical position of the stylus (seen from the front), recommended tracking force and antiskating.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  13. PhilBiker

Yup. That's part of the reason I'm not going to bother fixing the changer in my Grundig. I would only have a handful of old records that I would even want to play on it even in the best of circumstances. Copies of Herb Alpert records from the 60s from thrift stores would get old. Would be nice for Christmas Dinner though to throw on some old Firestone Christmas albums on the changer while we eat dinner. If I was able to get it to work that would have been my plan.

And I do have a stylus gauge and digital microscope. I would know the tracking force.

P.S. - don't look at people's videos of consoles on YouTube. You'll cry.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    The FRiNgE likes this.
  14. doctor fuse

doctor fuse Forum Resident

The Dual 1009 has a decent tonearm, capable of tracking at 0.5 g. A breakthrough for changers! And probably a safe changer for playing valuable vinyl.

15. 389 Tripower

389 Tripower Just a little south of Moline

Yup! It's very smooth at dropping records and the tonearm sets down nice and easy, as compared to most changers of that era. I would love to have a 1019 too.
    I don't normally stack LP's, but I suppose I could. I do stack 45's for hours at a time sometimes. The 1009 will run all day long.

PhilBiker likes this.
  16. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

The first audio system I grew up with in the 60s was a Grundig console and R2R tape deck. Sorry for the blurry image but it’s a scan of a photo taken in 1960. Brownie points if you can make out the image on the tv screen (I can’t).
    [​IMG]

And here’s the ol’ Grundig today....
    [​IMG]

SirMarc, Dan C, PhilBiker and 3 others like this.
  17. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

I love my Grundig!

[​IMG]

Dan C, PhilBiker and jamesmaya like this.
  18. coopmv

Where is the R2R?

19. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

EVERYTHING in the 1960 photo is AWESOME.

20. coopmv

Made in West Germany! :righton:

PhilBiker and EddieMann like this.
  21. coopmv

The Telefunken stereo console I inherited from my late father ...

[​IMG]

22. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

:thumbsup: Wow, is that the original console?

23. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

:thumbsup: Have never seen that model. Very cool!

24. coopmv

It is pint size compared with the Grundig ...

25. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Just to the right of the console. That two-tone thing that looks like a suitcase.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.