New Kendrick Lamar album, "DAMN". 14th April 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Moth, Apr 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

He should...last two times it was stolen from him. Grammys decided to go with the better sellers, more hits (The Heist and 1989). Those are fine albums, but who’s going to look back and say they were masterworks in the same way Good Kid and TPAB are?

Blue Note, Mr. Grieves and Maffune like this.
  2. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

the heist won a freakin' grammy? ugh.

3. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

It won rap album of the year. I thought it an album of the year but it was actually Random Access Memories that won. The fact that The Heist beat Good Kid for RAP album of the year makes even less sense...

4. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

After listening and giving it a good try, this has to be the worst album of the year in recent memory.

Sorry, just don’t appreciate it at all.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  5. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

Well at least you tried. Did you like his last album or anything prior?

6. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Some Butterfly, Some MAAD, but nothing came up to hang my hat on. I promised my daughter I’d give it a go.

Oh well.

7. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Too bad, it's an outstanding album. Production, beats, lyricism, energy, vibe...all incredibly on point. Not my favorite of his but probably his most listenable.

sentinel90125 and Mr. Grieves like this.
  8. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

Fair enough. It grew on me big time though I really liked it on first listen.

9. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I find it to be mundane, predictable, with some lyrical references that I find distasteful.

Not listenable to me at all. But, to each his own, right?

10. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Since this got bumped, curious if it's worth picking up the vinyl? I have the CD, but from past experience hip-hop albums don't sound significantly better on wax than CD. Not sure if it's because of the typically digital-heavy production or what.

11. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Yeah, fair enough. What lyrical references, if I may ask? Just curious.

12. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

It’s the swearing and some of the references to women that I find difficult to abide.

fitzrik likes this.
  13. theholygoof

theholygoof Forum Resident

Is the LP supposed to come with lyrics? My gatefold copy did not, But it's the James that matter most, obviously. Love it!

14. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

My gatefold had titles and credits, no lyrics.

At least you gave it a try. That's more than a lot of other forum members.

But yes...to each his/her own.

Chemguy, Blue Note and theholygoof like this.
  15. Hgavinyl

Hgavinyl Forum Resident

The collector's edition with the reverse track list is getting a vinyl release in February.

16. Sander

Sander Senior Member

Just bought the Collector’s Edition on CD. It’s apparently a numbered limited edition - I have no. 62195.

The reverse tracklist is refreshing to listen to and I think I prefer DAMN this way. The album starts out more laid-back and flows nicely up to the energetic closing of DNA/Blood. :righton:

Complier likes this.
  17. NickE123

NickE123 Forum Resident

I love To Pimp A Butterfly and the green album ;) but just cant get into this one. Dont understand the hype.

18. GK

GK Forum Resident

Being a 40something and a big fan of old school and Golden Age hip Hop, I stopped paying attention to new rap artists a long time ago. My son has urged me to listen to To Pimp a Butterfly, but I have resisted. Sounds like I need to give it a spin?

Tyler Chastain likes this.
  19. sentinel90125

sentinel90125 Forum Resident

As someone around the same age who resisted all rap, To Pimp a Butterfly convinced/challenged me to reevaluate that stance in a big way. Still my favorite Kendrick.

Tyler Chastain and GK like this.
  20. Maybe, but if you don’t care for where rap went starting around the mid-‘90s, this isn’t likely to appeal too much.

21. GK

GK Forum Resident

Gave it a good listen when I got home form work this morning.....and you are right. While I appreciate the obvious talent and extraordinary production effort...not to mention the courage to tackle such subject matter...it's just not for me. I'll stick to my Grandmaster Flash, Audio Two, and Ultramagnetic MC's.

22. talkingh

talkingh Vibes Controller

There are plenty of new artists out there who are more of your golden age ilk....try Loyle Corner from the uk, Joey Bada$$, Freddie Gibbs, and the NxWorries lp is great

23. GK

GK Forum Resident

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll check them out. After listening to Tribe Called Quest's newest today, realized Kendrick Lamar is a guest on one of the tracks.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  24. GK

GK Forum Resident

And in case you are interested, the newest vinyl shop in my neighborhood is owned by a good guy from NYC. Have picked up some great old hip hop records that I previously only had on cassette tape...Doug E Fresh's Oh My God, some good Grandmaster Flash and Eric B and Rakim 12" singles, Special Ed, Deltron 3030 (not so old but still great).

25. GK

GK Forum Resident

I grew up in New York State in the 70'/80's, and Hip Hop was always there. I consider it a part of me....saw lots of great artist live back then, too. Fortunately, my wife does enjoy our old school hip hop breakfasts...it gets the kids moving in the morning!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.