Post photos of your systems/rooms here! (Part 15)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween Jack, Mar 28, 2015.

1. FYI the 702s really opened up nicely after 100 hours. In the showroom they were just ok as they were brand new, a couple of days in place. The Focals were well broken in but they were the very new series. Forgot which model.

2. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

Hmmm.... it’s possible that the 702s at the dealer weren’t completely broken in yet. They sounded very good, better than my CM10S2s but they didn’t make me want to spend the extra money to upgrade them. It sounds like I’d better not audition them again later after they get more time on them if I want to keep my money!

Of course, it’s difficult to really get a handle on how they sound unless I have them in my home on my equipment. My dealer will let me bring them home for a couple of days but I’m afraid to do that. He also said I could take the Focals home too but that would just be torture!

3. Yeah I have up to a year to swap towards an upgrade if I choose for full value .....

Eigenvector likes this.
  4. George P

George P Notable Member

At 225 hours, I'm still getting used to my B&W 704 S2s. My previous speakers, which I had for 14 years, were bookshelf Polk Monitor 40s. They were bright and light on bass. The 704 S2s seem the opposite, plenty of rock solid bass and neutral treble (and, of course, midrange.) I toed them in some more last night, so they are now facing me. This position, as expected, gives me more treble and tonal balance.

Eigenvector likes this.
  5. Have about 200 hours on them now.

[​IMG]

6. George P

George P Notable Member

I see you have a good amount of toe-in on yours too.

Craig likes this.
  7. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Really really nice!

Craig likes this.
  8. I do. It’s a perfect triangle. Skewed in the wide photo. It is set for that center sweet spot chair.

The tv pivots to the sofa for movies and tv and the sound is a compromise but still very enjoyable as the rears are behind the sofa.

Craig and George P like this.
  9. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

I enjoy seeing all those decorated green bushy bass traps!

Craig likes this.
  10. OtisWms

OtisWms Member

Put together over many years and on a limited budget, most pieces were "lucky finds". But to me it's perfect for the music I listen to (mostly 50's-60's Jazz, R&R, and Blues) and will go to the grave with me.

I found the MC-240 literally in a barn when I was about 13 years old, and have been using it for 43 years now! It's been maintained by Bob Hovland (as all my tube stuff has been) since around 1980. Still very original inside with most (maybe all) of the original bumble bee caps in place. He just did a full service with all new NOS tubes last year. Went to 7027 outputs as I found a great deal on a NOS matched quad, which was way cheaper than an equivalent example of 6L6's.

The C-22 was found off a camera store bulletin board ad from when we moved to Oregon in the early 90's. Listed for a couple of hundred bucks. I could not believe it as I had wanted one since I had found the 240. I was pretty broke at the time but bought that as fast as I could. It killed me to leave the other stuff he was selling, it was Aladdin's cave.....

The 398 came from a Goodwill regular I used to trade records with in L.A in the early 80's. He would find an Empire TT every other week. I had 6 of them at one time. I did the re-work on this one a few years ago. Moving the 3009 on to it after my Thorens 125 died.

I've always loved horn speakers and had Altec 820's, Valencia's, and JBL L200's. But was never completely happy until going to the Altec 604 duplex's. Here I splurged a little and bought a completely rebuilt pair of 16 ohm 604 E's from Bill at Great Plains along with his crossovers. They are incredible.

To me a perfect system for hard bop, Chess blues, Buddy Holley, or anything drums!

11. kdejonge

kdejonge Forum Resident

I quite like them but they didn't fit into the rest of our house so I chose the black ones.
    Yeah those are nice! but 4 times more then I spend now :) The dealer said the 7 series are quite popular but I didn't ask if they are broken in.
    I got a pretty good deal I think ($2.8k)

12. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

You might get much better SQ if you can get your speakers 2-3 feet further out into the room, and with some toe in.

CowFish, CrazyCatz, PhilBiker and 5 others like this.
  13. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Haha! Thanks, although it's going on twelfth night...!

14. Jerjo

Jerjo Forum Resident

Ziggy and Tolkien - that's a great combination!

Manimal, Kristofa and Mazzy like this.
  15. George P

George P Notable Member

I also see you leave your grilles off. Do you leave them off 24/7? Any concern about dust?

Mazzy likes this.
  16. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

That's what she said!

avanti1960 likes this.
  17. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Now you're talking my language! Maybe you could go get the rest of them?

Manimal, Bananas&blow and kdejonge like this.
  18. Never unwrapped the grill covers they are still in the box. No dust worries as I can gently dust them.

I had a set of CM 4s for 15 years. Never used the covers. But probably good to use them If young children are around. They love to stick their fingers into things.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    SandAndGlass likes this.
  19. George P

George P Notable Member

Good to know. I have a nice ostrich feather duster I can use.

And the sound is definitely better with the grilles off. :edthumbs:

SandAndGlass and Mazzy like this.
  20. kdejonge

kdejonge Forum Resident

The focal does not have rear bass ports so the space behind it doesn't make much difference but yeah I would like to get a better listening position. Still negotiating with the missus, step 1 was to get them into the door :)

Micke Lindahl and CraigC like this.
  21. My speakers are 32” from the back wall to the speaker fronts but my rig is not in a dedicated listening room. It’s a living area and I’m good to compromise a bit in an all Around living situation. It’s wonderful for me.

kdejonge, e.s. and Eigenvector like this.
  22. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

My sideboard is getting crowded...
    [​IMG]
    Rest of room, I need to move my desk back to my office...although this room has better light and music....I need to get some art for the wall behind and another wall...just keep loosing at auctions....that might be a good thing.

Now playing..."The World According to the Clash"
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dred, barfko, CrazyCatz and 21 others like this.
  23. George P

George P Notable Member

:agree:

33.5" from the back wall to the speaker fronts for me, also in a living area. And a temporary tree obstruction (just one more week.)

[​IMG]

CrazyCatz, CowFish, arar and 17 others like this.
  24. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

What brand of chair is this. The brown one.

Dennis0675 and JNTEX like this.
  25. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

All of that furnishings sans rug are stickley mission, the brown covered chair reclines, great for headphones (it's the Wife chair), although I prefer the Eastman chair next to it...firmer. Both of those chairs are recently made, they come in oak or cherry, few different stains and about a bazillion different fabrics or leathers. Made by hand and jig in NY.

If your in Boston or surrounds, there should be a dealer near there. Most of the stuff is made to order and takes a month or two (but worth it).

Products made by hand make me j*zz my pants.

Reclined photo....
    [​IMG]

Also a sofa in there....bonus points to anyone who can id whats in that hutch....

[​IMG]

arar, Aftermath, Jerjo and 4 others like this.