Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Loved Roxy Music since I saw them on Top Of The Pops as a kid when they did 'Virginia Plain'. Enjoy 801 and the Manzanera solo album with the locomotive on the cover. I know 'non Roxy' Manzanera mainly for his contributions to Eno's albums.

2. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Spending a lazy Saturday goofing off -- a rare opportunity -- and enjoying the sound in the music room thanks to some new rear wall diffusion listening to some great stuff I haven't heard in a while like Wayne Shorter's Beyond the Sound Barrier. That last band of Shorter's was my favorite band he ever had, and Beyond the Sound Barrier and Without a Net may be my favorite Wayne Shorter albums.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  3. Postercowboy

Postercowboy Forum Resident

Still listening through Kris Kristofferson - The Complete Columbia and Monument Album Collection. A great box set, and I‘m a lifelong fan, but, gosh: He put out quite some mediocre stuff as well.. Who‘s to bless and who‘s to blame from 1975 runs through fine, but will probably not be played again any time soon.

NP: Jane Ira Bloom - Sixteen Sunsets BR-A
    My favorite album from the NY based soprano sax player and composer

[​IMG]

Stu02 likes this.
  4. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

As good a live piano trio album as there is....

[​IMG]

Starwanderer, WorldB3, markp and 2 others like this.
  5. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

6. djost

djost Hyperactive!

My Christmas gift was delivered earlier today (cashed in an Amazon gift card) and picked up Chick Corea, The Musician. My only other Chick Corea album is Like Minds w/Gary Burton. Need to search out some of his trio albums.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Ok that album cover is simply rediculous and it’s a late night listen to boot! Sometimes I shake my head at the marketing decisions made.

I’m curious though and will check it out now so I guess maybe they are the smart ones all along ....

8. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Picked this Orig Press 10 inch recently and just love it. I didn’t know Al Hibbler before this yet I have now read he was one of if not the male vocalist for the Duke. He gets some grief for being a little to much of a personality vocal wise in his sound but I quite like his attitude and style
    I’ll have to probe deeper with him. I can find no info anywhere on who is in Dukes band on this particular session and it’s a great band so if anyone happens to know do tell....it’s from ‘54 which I think is just before he went to Decca if that helps.....
    [​IMG]

peter1 and Lonson like this.
  9. Lonson

That one may well be a compilation of sides rather than a single session or even year, I'm not familiar with that LP.

Hibbler is one of my favorite vocalists of the Duke. His Decca and other recordings as a leader are well worth seeking out. I have almost all of it I think. I particularly like listening to the two Chronogical (sic) Classics discs of his work.

Stu02 likes this.
  10. Lonson

I was pretty sure this release would have material from the 'forties and wiki for Hibbler says this:

• Al Hibbler Sings With The Duke, Columbia 'House Party Series' CL-2593 [10"], 1956 (recordings from 1947–1949)
    Should be pretty easy to do some research to determine dates and personnel from the track list and with that span of years. I could do the research. . . but I'll let you. ;)

11. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Ha! Thanks Lonson I had missed the recording dates on that reference :( I’ll check it out !

Lonson likes this.
  12. Lonson

The Jeremy Manasia Trio featuring Peter Bernstein "Metamorphosis"

[​IMG]

13. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Had a bit of a strike of luck. As I posted earlier that I’ve been listening to quite a bit of Bobby Hutcherson lately and was streaming Head On this morning; I decided to go down to my favorite shop and dig through the jazz racks (a task I don’t take lightly as they are not in any semblance of order, are packed to the gills, are very many, and the last section in each row is hard to reach; thus I haven’t done this in 7-8 months) to see if there were any Bobby Hutcherson albums there. However, when I walk in the door there is an original copy of Montara on the wall at the front of the store, in the new arrivals section, that they had just put out on the 28th. Asked the clerk if they had put out any other Hutcherson items at the same time, and he said they had put out 2 or 3. With minimal digging (Note: the new arrivals racks at said store are much more easily dug through than the general population jazz racks) I also found an original of San Francisco and a black/turquoise label of Head On (the album I’d just been listening to and was hoping to find by some miracle)! Fortunately, all of the records are in great condition and extremely quiet, so I bagged the lot.

Since I have the SHM-CD of San Fran, I’ve spent the last hour and a half or so AB-ing it against the vinyl I just picked up and playing with the gain switches on the Black Cube SE II. While I think the vinyl has the edge (in that the bass is not as souped up as on the CD, which seems to allow the cymbals, sax, and vibes/marimba to shine through more nicely) the CD really does sound excellent in comparison.

Bobby Hutcherson - San Francisco (Orig. press vs SHM-CD)

[​IMG]

Yesternow, Starwanderer, Moko and 3 others like this.
  14. Lonson

Good score!

dzhason likes this.
  15. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Sweet! This ming is everything.

NP Geri Allen Trio - Twenty One (Blue Note) cd
    W/Ron Carter and Tony Williams. Tony's bass drum feels like it's going to poke a hole in my chest. Powerfull!

Starwanderer and dzhason like this.
  16. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I know, I really couldn’t believe it; although, I have posted before about the way the shop here in town seems to suddenly materialize an item recently after coming onto my radar.

Completely aside from and prior to the stroke of luck, I was generally having one of those days today where I was marveling at the wonder that is jazz and how amazing it is that there exists such a thing to enjoy.

Lonson likes this.
  17. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    I have a sampler CD of Nichols' Blue Note work that I have never really warmed up to, but I like this better. With George Duvivier (b) & Danny Richmond (d). Recorded 11/57. Producer: Lee Kraft. 2001 CD reissue. Picked this up at a Christmas sale for $5.25.

alankin1, Soulpope, Lonson and 3 others like this.
  18. Are you a Redsox fan? :D The Alfa Jazz vinyl version looks like this... but if you find one it won't be cheap.

[​IMG]

Stu02 likes this.
  19. That's what I love about music, how varied people's reactions can be. I know a few posters have this down as a world beater whereas I think his Blue Note material is glorious and this is pretty unremarkable to my ears. That's what makes life interesting and keeps me coming back for more. :cool:

20. hockman

hockman Forum Resident

You lucked out, man! Most of the late BN Hutchersons are great and Montara is a real find. This album always commands a premium price because it is sought after by rare groove DJs.

dzhason likes this.
  21. hockman

hockman Forum Resident

22. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now streaming on Spotify, "Erroll Garner - Ready Take One" on Legacy.

Jimmie Smith: drums
    Ernest McCarty: bass
    Ike Isaac: bass
    George Duvivier: bass
    Larry Gales: bass
    Jose Magual: conga

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Two more from the sale, the 1st for $3.75, the 2nd for $ 5.25. Hartman is one of my favorite male singers. The 1st album, on Roost, was issued in 1959. Executive producer: Teddy Reig. Producer/arranger: Rudy Traylor. 1997 Roost/Capitol reissue producer: Michael Cuscuna.
    The Impulse album was recorded at Van Gelder's in Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 9/22 & 24/65. Producer: Bob Thiele. 1994 reissue producer: Michael Cuscuna. Remastered by Paul Elmore.

24. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Only 75 cents. With Diz Disley (acoustic g), Ike Isaacs (electric g) & Isla Eckinger (b). Recorded 3/75 at MPS Studio, Villingen, Germany. Producer/engineer: Hans Georg Brunner-Schwer.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  25. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Dave Douglas - Charms Of The Night Time Sky (Winter & Winter)

I haven't played this in ages. I used to play it a lot. Hard to believe it is almost twenty years old. I was fortunate to see them perform at Yoshi's around the his time. I found another reason to love the accordion. ;)