Waiting for the Sun & The Soft Parade

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Doctor, Dec 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

Waiting For The Sun has been my favorite Doors album since day one. When I think of the Doors at their most "definitive", I think of Waiting For The Sun. It's the best Doors cover as well! In my humble opinion...

I really like The Soft Parade too. I'd say both these albums are probably the two I listen to the most.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  2. qm1ceveb

qm1ceveb Forum fanatic

The Doors discography with JM is superb and my favorite is Strange days. Waiting for the sun is close, a magnificent album.
    The soft parade is not as good as the rest and IMO seems to suffer from a temporary loss of direction and/or top-notch material. The long title track is a prime example. Certainly not bad but a far cry from The End...

3. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

I always hated "Hello I Love You". Seemed very pedestrian. Apparently the song was written 3 years earlier and they had to pull it out of the vault as Jim's creative juices were drying up (or maybe too wet from alcohol). The problem continued through their next album. "Touch Me" was even worse.

4. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

Soft Parade was the only Doors album I had as a teenager, not sure why....

5. jdorsey

jdorsey Forum Resident

Spanish caravan was my gateway drug to classic rock in the late 80s early 90s. As a 10 year old i pulled it from my mom's shelf. Put it on my cheap Sound Design all in one. I was blown away that something that old could sound so good. Then I tried her Santana self titled album. The rest is history.

6. Musicman1963

Musicman1963 Forum Resident

I think Jims voice peaked on WFTS and as much as I love TSP why oh why did they leave off who scared you? It's one of my top five doors songs and would've made the album so much better.

7. The Doctor

The Doctor Forum Resident Thread Starter

The Soft Parade had to be very different for 1969. I can't imagine too many rock groups were doing stuff with orchestral arrangements in a jazz and big band way. The Soft Parade in places sounds like it could've come out in '49 rather than '69.

Lightworker likes this.
  8. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

Ignore that. Too late for me to be typing last night, sorry.

9. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Honestly, I love 'em both and on any given day could be considered my favorite Doors album. I never got the hate for Soft Parade. As much of a departure it was for the band, I love every song on that record.

10. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Agree 100%.

I place "Waiting for the Sun" just slightly behind "Strange Days" (my fave), "The Doors" and "L.A. Woman."

And though a notch down, "The Soft Parade" has some great songs (the title track and especially "Wishful Sinful").

"Morrison Hotel" is another full notch down for me.

I also vehemently dispute the notion that "The Soft Parade" was a "radical departure in sound" or some attempt "to go commercial" for the Doors.

They merely added horns and strings.

When the Beatles added horns and strings, it was "genius."

When the Stones added horns and strings, it was "genius."

When the Doors added horns and strings, it was some kind of sell out.

:wtf: :crazy:

Magic risin'
    Sun is shinin' deep beneath the sea ...

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  11. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

The one of the best album covers in general.

Regards

12. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

I'm curious if your German-pressed "Soft Parade" has the same/similar stampers to mine.

The label on mine is:

White with a red “e” and black “E”.

STAMPERS:

A: (machine stamped) R/S Alsdorf 52356 A2XX (handwritten) WEA
    (on lower level, handwritten) 42079 A2 XX PF

B: (machine stamped) R/S Alsdorf 755 960674-1-B4WEA

13. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

The song Touch Me has always kept me away from The Soft Parade album.

14. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

John's drumming is so great on The Soft Parade.

15. Yardbird

Yardbird Forum Resident

I am surprised by some of the responses in this thread. IMO, these are the weakest Doors' albums by far. I recall being very disappointed with WFTS when it was released and then thought they completely lost their mojo when TSP was released. Sure both have some good songs, but neither come remotely close to the first two and are inferior to their last two. Perhaps, if The Doors took the best from WFTS and TSP, they could have released a solid album.

Electric likes this.
  16. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Over the years I realized there are several printing versions of the Waiting For The Sun album cover. Mostly very bright colours and stuff.
    I prefer the 'darker' printed one where you can see the Doors' logo in best shape.

[​IMG]

17. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

The only original pressing of a Doors album that I have is Waiting For The Sun. Someone gave it to me when I a teenager in the early 1980s.

18. The Quiet One

The Quiet One Forum Resident

I love both. When I bought TSP, I had never read any reviews, so I listened without prejudice. Maybe that's the reason. Wishful Sinful is among my favorite songs of all time.

Tommy Jay, john lennonist and TS582 like this.
  19. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

If you added COTL (and took off NTTTE as it is part of COTL) where would COTL go? The album would be too long to fit an LP and sound good. You'd have to remove some tracks.

I agree with the common sentiment that WSY is a terrific track and deserved to have been on the album because of its quality but it may be that, from the group's and/or Rothchild's perspective(s), it was a b-side to a single that was released months earlier and which didn't do very well. Maybe they didn't have any fondness for the track.

It's the album being short and physically having room for WSY that make the choice to leave it off so disappointing.

20. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

Not to Touch the Earth
    Summers Almost Gone
    Wintertime Love
    The Unknown Soldier
    Spanish Caravan
    We Could Be So Good Together
    Yes, the River Knows
    Five To One
    Do It
    Easy Ride
    Runnin' Blue

I only like the first song in that list.
    So I have now come to think that WFTS is their worst Jim album.
    If only they had replaced those songs with Celebration of the Lizard.

21. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

"Do It" is the weakest song from both albums but I like it. I'd say "Easy Ride" is next.
    "We Could BE SGT" sounds kinda trite but it has great lyrics.
    "MY Wild Love" isn't quite there but I love it too.
    Yeah, all the DOORS albums are so good!

I've heard several fans say they don't like "Runnin' Blue" in the last while . . . what?!

That "Who Scared You" wasn't added to TSP is just crazy, would absolutely have made that album even better.

"Shaman's Blues" is just sooooooooo good

Denim Chicken likes this.
  22. mark renard

mark renard Senior Member

I always like the image for WFTS from the cassette I had. I think this was the back cover on the album.
    [​IMG]

23. Mike Reynolds

Mike Reynolds Forum Resident

Granted I was only nine years old in 1969, but "Touch Me" is the song that got me interested in them. Pretty good, pretty good. Pretty neat, pretty neat.

24. mrbobdobalina

mrbobdobalina Forum Resident

Any album with "Wintertime Love", "Love Street", and "Not to Touch The Earth" would be excellent even if the rest of the record was filled with belching and flatulence!

25. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

"Waiting For The Sun" is a great album.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.