Sierra Records "END OF AN ERA SALE" ("Half Price On The Entire Sierra Records Mail Order Catalog")

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by KeithH, Nov 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now Thread Starter

I received notice of this sale by e-mail yesterday. The message starts out with "THIS is the last sale for 2017 and beyond." The deal is half-off orders over $25 and includes everything online. The sale ends at midnight PST on December 1st. Regarding the items available online, the message goes on to say "Many of these will no longer be available after December!". The message ends with "This could be your last chance to support Sierra Records."

To order, go to sierrarecords.net. Enter promo code "2018" to get half-off on orders over $25.

black sheriff, lightbulb and ggergm like this.
  2. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

@KeithH, thanks for the heads up. I've purchased John Hartford CDs from Sierra Records in the past and just got another one today. It was a live record by Hartford, playing with the Aereo Plain band. I had no idea it even existed. I bought two copies at half off, one for me and another for my friend who turned me onto John Hartford over 40 years ago.

I also purchased on vinyl an AAA compellation of the best songs off of Randy Meisner's three solo records after his stint with the Eagles. It looks like Sierra Records is taking extra special care with the mastering and generating the stampers. This record, too, came as a surprise to me and was half off with the "2018" code. Sierra Records wanted $6 shipping for everything, which was just fine.

Sierra Records has for sale Hartford's two terrific Warner Bros albums on CD, Aereo-plain and Morning Bugle, along with many Gram Parsons rare recordings, both solo and with the Flying Burrito Brothers. If you like acoustic and bluegrass music, you should check them out.

Here's the link: Sierra Records

I hope they survive although your post makes their situation seem dire. They are the only source for much music I love.

:righton:

3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

This is sad.

However, I won't be buying any CDs from them, as too many people have reported getting CD-Rs, and I don't buy CD-Rs.

4. bootlegend

bootlegend Well-Known Member

Where are you reading this? I was about to pull the trigger but I don't want to pay for CD-Rs either.

5. ggergm

I'd like to know this, too. Many of the titles on their site have been there for years and when I bought them, they were pressed CDs.

@kwadguy, to say it's sad that Sierra Records might go away and then plant a landmine like this that will keep people from buying from them without any documentation or proof is poor form. :cry:

lightbulb and superstar19 like this.
  6. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now Thread Starter

I don’t know if a lot of people have received CD-Rs from Sierra Records, but the “gold CD” sampler I received with my Platinum membership is a CD-R. The explanation I received from John was unacceptable.

milankey likes this.
  7. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

There was a recent thread where some people were complaining about the "gold" CD-R sampler, and then others indicated they'd received other CD-Rs.

See GerryO's 2nd comment in this thread:

Sierra Records Silver, Gold, and Platinum Clubs

ggergm likes this.
  8. ggergm

Thanks for posting this. I'll let you know, either in this thread or the other, if the Hartford CD I ordered today is a CD-R or not. It's advertised as an import and is from a radio broadcast, which probably makes it one of those "copyright free in Europe recordings" we see so much of now.

I can't get too worked up over a free sampler being a CD-R. One you pay for is another matter.

9. bootlegend

Well, I took a chance and ordered earlier before anyone responded. I'm a big Clarence White fan.

I have had other labels (Suburban Home Records) ship their sampler as a CD-R but it was free. Hopefully that is the case with Sierra as well.

Thanks for the heads up by the way.

10. ggergm

I promised to come back to this thread with a post if the CDs I ordered from Sierra Records were actually CD-Rs. They arrived yesterday and were.

As there is no other way I could get the live John Hartford Aereo-Plain Band recording other than this way, I'll accept it, but I am disappointed.

11. bootlegend

I received mine today, a total of 13 CDs and 2 DVDs and they were all legit. Most of mine were Clarence White or Kentucky Colonels stuff. Some of them were obviously very cheap productions but they all had liner notes and printed CD artwork/labeling. I have not listened yet and will report if they don't at least meet expectations.

12. ggergm

My CD was official looking, too, with liner notes and a thick label printed on the CD, but when I looked at the music side of the disc, it was clearly marked as a CD-R.

I take this as nothing more than an unfortunate event. In a declining market, this may be the future of small runs. Given the economics of the situation, it gets down to if you want the music or a printed disc. I'll take the music.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    lightbulb likes this.
  13. bootlegend

Okay. I see what you mean now. I had never noticed that before but now that you point it out on some of them it does say CD-R on the music side. Some are not marked CD-R but they don't necessarily look any more or less "official."

Please excuse my ignorance, but if the music is digital does it matter that it was burned and printed by someone in their garage versus being produced at a professional facility? I've ordered some very small release albums from Amazon before that are printed when you order them.

I am not a collector though. The music is what I am after.

ggergm likes this.
  14. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

Just back the CD-Rs up on your computer. Some CD-Rs fail after a while.

lightbulb likes this.
  15. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

Yes, if the cd-r's have a stick-on label they will fail. Somehow the adhesive seeps through to the other side and ruins it.

lightbulb likes this.
  16. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

The issue with CD-Rs with sticker labels is not that the adhesive seeps through the laminate. It's that the coefficient of expansion for the adhesive label is not the same as that of the laminate, which creates a force between the adhesive sticker and the laminate. Over time, and with temperature changes, that force can (and often does) destroy the integrity of the laminate.

17. bootlegend

Mine appear to be printed directly on the disc without a sticker. I even tried to pull an "edge" loose just because I was curious. I didn't find one. I can tell that printed design is not exactly concentric with the disc when I look at the center hole.

18. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

Just received two CDs, none are CD-Rs.

In fact, one of them is the Kentucky Colonels Appalachian Swing on S & P, mastered by the hostest with the mostest.

The other is a two CD set of "middle" Country Gazette with some what looks to be nice unreleased stuff. Can't comment on sound quality yet.

PhantomStranger and lightbulb like this.
  19. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Sierra Records is closing

20. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

Yes, got the message today.
    Thanks for the Gram & Byrds product John, and good luck to you.

SIERRA RECORDS MAIL ORDER
    WEB STORE CLOSING

It is with regret that I am closing the Sierra Record Mail Order website effective July 31, 2018. Since 2004, I have provide online ordering for some the best music ever made. Before that, direct mail ordering that began in November 1971 with a tiny ad in Bluegrass Unlimited magazine.

There were several factors leading to this decision. The website hosting company for Sierra since 2004, goemerchant.com, is discontinuing their current 'shopping cart' software in favor of a "new premium cart" that is incompatible with what has been offered over the years. Second, the mail order business has declined to the point that it is no longer cost effective. I am joining other such independent mail order companies that have closed in recent months, years like Folk Era/Rediscover and the gold standard of mail order, County Sales.

Then I was faced with the recent problems with the postal services here and abroad which has caused me both money and my patience. Lastly, my on going battle with lung cancer and now arthritis in my right hand (making it almost impossible to package orders now) being the last straw.

The future of the label itself is yet to be written. Starting on August 1, 2018 when you go to any of the current websites- sierra records.com or sierrarecords.net you will be directed to a one page site, sierraglobal.net where in the coming months I will post information on what the future holds. You can still reach me at the either "[email protected]" or "[email protected]".

Some of the titles that are currently available at the Sierra web store will no longer be available for purchase in the near future. After that, most of them should be available at places like amazon.com, acoustic sounds, elusive disc, etc. They along with with itunes, pandora, spotify, emusic, etc. will be carrying the digital download/streaming versions of the catalog now and in the coming months. So if there is anything you wanted to purchase but held off, this will be your last opportunity. All new orders until July 31, 2018 will be shipped into August.

I know this sounds like one of those old "going out business sales" that never ends. I can assure you, it is not. It's an end of an era.

Entrée Records, the specialty label, will continue to issue a wide variety of music releases including those for future 'Record Store Day' events. Again, these will be available at your local 'brick and mortar stores' and amazon.com moving forward.

A simple 'thank you' seems inadequate at this time. Sharing this music with you first when I began as a "DJ" in 1966 in Pasadena through the 70s, 80s, 90s, 2000s with the record labels, until now, has been an honor. My hope is that there was at least a song or two that I released that brought you joy and pleasure.

Not really a goodbye, but just as Gram was fond of closing his letters,

Sound as ever,

John Delgatto

PhantomStranger, zphage and lightbulb like this.
  21. Mssisem

Mssisem Forum Resident

Thanks

22. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

when i go to the web site nothing shows (half-price). is that for members only?

23. I will always be grateful to Sierra for the Gram Parsons' releases and the Gene Clark SACD.

Cousin It, Fox67 and lightbulb like this.
  24. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

That was an earlier sale, thread is 8 months old.

25. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

I'd been sort-of checking in on this thread for a while, and finally it compelled me to place an order, mere days before the web store is closing (end of day tomorrow, July 31st!).

I just received the following email from the founder, which both impressed me (with its personal touch/attention) and saddened me (because you can read the weariness between the lines).

lightbulb likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.