Help with older movie title: man pretends to be insane

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by reapers, Dec 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reapers

reapers Forum Resident Thread Starter

Seeking help on the title of this film…

This is what I remember:

I think it was made in the 1960s, black and white, probably saw it on TCM a few years ago.

It involves a man who’s in love with a married woman. He plots to kill her husband so they can be together. I remember the man reading a number of law books to come up with his scheme, which I think revolved around being certain he would be found insane, committed and released after a short stay to be with the woman. He commits the murder and goes to a mental institution, where he has to endure being locked up with other patients. He has regular meetings with a woman psychiatrist who seems suspicious of him and reluctant to declare him sane and he is stuck there. He gets visits from the girlfriend now and then, but she eventually gets impatient and begins seeing someone else.

I’ve tried a number of keyword searches, but none of the results (like Shock Treatment or Shock Corridor) match this film.

:help:

2. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

The movie IS titled Shock Corridor it is a 1963 Sam Fuller flick starring soon to be Big Valley series alumni Peter Breck.Breck portrays a journalist who will go to any lengths to win a coveted award for great journalism.Even faking insanity.The rain scene is especially great.FYI Amazon carries the film.Peace.

3. Miriam

Miriam Forum Resident

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  4. reapers

Thanks, no it's definitely not Shock Corridor (I just watched a bit of it on YouTube). There was no aspect of the story about a reporter trying to win a journalism award.

5. reapers

Thanks, no the story line doesn't match and I think the actors were less famous (I think I would have remembered Robert Taylor and Herbert Marshall).

6. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

7. reapers

alexpop likes this.
  8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

You had a brainstorm, found it.
    Like that when it happens.

reapers and Tjazz like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.