Jimi Hendrix Both Sides of the Sky - new album coming March 9, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fsutall, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Your point is well taken, but to be fair, there is not a lot of recycling going on here. Hendrix left behind one of the most important music legacies in rock and roll history, and his music archive is filled with hundreds of hours of music. Being that he is such a major, historical figure, it is only natural that people want to hear more of his creations. I think the greater debate is over how this has been handled over the years, and most recently, by Experience Hendrix.

smoke, Hep Alien, snkcube and 8 others like this.
  2. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

...I seriously and sincerely don't think he cares.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

I've heard that complaint (leave the guy alone, let him RIP) a lot about releasing JH posthumous music. Don't think it's a common complaint about other deceased artists when their music gets "recycled" though. Wonder why the double standard?

Matthew Tate, Efus and 905 like this.
  4. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

Overdubbing all the bass and drum parts using whom on the new cd

5. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

You don’t think his vaults are empty. I understand he jammed a lot. Just read the uncut collectors magazine where he seem to be tap out and searching for new music and ideas

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

I'll second that.
    It would be nice to see Leon and the Jeter side of the family share in the estate.

Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

While Al did write Leon out of his will, Leon did receive quite a bit of money from his brother's estate over the years. That said, there are a number of Hendrix blood relatives (including Jimi's other half-siblings) that essentially never saw a dime.

Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. James5001

James5001 Forum Resident

All this stuff scraped from barrel is material best suited for release on Dagger or dare I say just cheap digital downloads for the hardcore fans.

Purple Jim likes this.
  9. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Well, they know plenty of people will buy it, so they might as well release it to as wide of an audience as possible.

Maurice, 905 and Timothy Fiacco like this.
  10. James5001

James5001 Forum Resident

Eddie Kramer is the shell of the man he once was

Lownote30 likes this.
  11. Harsh....the guy is just making a living now helping to get Jimi's music in releasable shape for the powers that be (Janie). Was he a super hero in his earlier years?

12. James5001

James5001 Forum Resident

I haven't heard much on the recent botch jobs you'd call "releasable" at least in a major release sense, he's now no better than Alan Douglas who he was known to criticize.. it's comical.

What's the best you can say about him he's decided to arrange the shambles and frankify cos' Janie will just get someone else to do it anyway if he doesn't?

13. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

I think most of us agree with this, but that's not Kramer's fault.

Matthew Tate and Pete Puma like this.
  14. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Janie is going to release stuff anyway, might as well have Kramer do the work than someone who never worked with Jimi.

15. 905

905 Senior Member

To be honest, they could've really milked it even longer by not releasing the West Coast Seattle Boy box, and make instead a few "new Jimi Hendrix albums" over a long, long period, so every time I put it on I'm grateful.

bluesbro, Matthew Tate, Efus and 3 others like this.
  16. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Or the Dagger Studio releases for that matter. I often wonder if, under their current deal, they wish they could have those releases back so the well would be a bit deeper for mainstream releases.

Hep Alien, Matthew Tate, Efus and 2 others like this.
  17. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

Not heard much, but still
    But please enlight us
    I like what I hear, something is wrong with me

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

These "new" releases would have been better served IMO by being released in a box like WCSB - and isolate all the "Frankensteined" tracks on CD4 so there's no confusion over what was actually done by Jimi and what has been dubbed/time stretched/stitched together from multiple takes. That way the box is not trying to represent some "new Jimi Hendrix" commercial album but instead is rounding up all the rest of the releaseable quality outtakes, jams, studio experiments, alternate mixes in one place as a supplement to the official canon. Because this "trilogy" does not belong to the official canon, not even in the way Cry of Love and Rainbow Bridge (and the CD release of First Rays and South Saturn Delta) could be considered essential posthumous releases.

19. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

IIRC, James Sundquist gets Swedish royalties (some kind of wage garnishing from a court case) and Tamika was quietly given some money from Al. Jimi's daughter has NEVER been legally acknowledged as such, and Sundquist never legally acknowledged outside Sweden.

Janie gave money to Robert Hendrix, Eddie Kramer, Billy Cox, Mitch Mitchell and Chas Chandler when she was not legally required to do so. I think Jimi would be Ok with that.

As for Jimi's siblings other than Leon. I've never heard them complain about money and thought they had learning disabilities of one kind or another. I think the sister has shunned anything Jimi related.

The only people who I truly think got shafted estate wise are the woman who raised Jimi and Tamika.

Hep Alien and Efus like this.
  20. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

I saw Hendrix playing 12 string acoustic blues on youtube.
    Are there any Hendrix albums that feature acoustic blues?
    Do many acoustic recordings exist?

21. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

That acoustic "Hear My Train A Comin" is on the "Blues" album. Apart from that, there are only a few scraps here and there:
    "Acoustic Demo" - a very short track on Morning Symphony Ideas
    "My Friend", “Long Hot Summer Night”, "Suddenly November Morning" on West Coast Seattle Boy

...plus on various bootlegs:
    "Our Lovely Home (Snowballs In The Snow)" - very short
    "Gypsy Eyes"
    "Long Hot Summer Night"
    (alternate takes)
    "Hound Dog"
    "Acoustic Jam With Mitch" -
    about 30 minutes

22. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

Hep Alien and Pete Puma like this.
  23. slane

slane Forum Resident

Aren't they on electric guitar?

24. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Yes, those are on electric guitar.

Hep Alien and slane like this.
  25. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I've snagged every mainstream Hendrix cd since 1989, when I first got a cd player. Yes, some releases have been better than others, regardless of whom was in charge of the projects (Alan Douglas or Janie Hendrix). I'm anxious to hear this next release. I'll pass judgement once I hear it. Until the cd is released, I'll be ok :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.