Rogue Sphinx v2 vs. Peachtree 2.0 Nova 150

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JHughesPSPB, Mar 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JHughesPSPB

JHughesPSPB Active Member Thread Starter

Can anyone who's had experience with either or both of these integrated amps please share your opinion with me? Thanks

2. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

I'm also interested if anyone's heard the Nova 150 or 300.

3. heyMo

heyMo Forum Resident

I have had the 150 for several months now. It's been great for me. I really enjoy what I am hearing from the digital ins through the built-in DAC. Using the optical for the TV and USB for my Mac. Using Amarra software on the Mac and iTunes for digital music and have been very happy with it. I read a lot of reviews on this amp before purchasing. All spoke highly of it's digital capabilities, which I agree with. I was able to go listen to one before I pulled the trigger. I have found the remote to be easy to use to control volume and switching inputs.

On the downside, the built-in phono amp is what you would expect from most built-ins. Not the greatest. Adequate perhaps, until you can upgrade to a decent external. Using an older phono amp I had on hand, a new one will likely be my next upgrade.

Listening through B&W CM5, Series 1 with a (now about 10 year old) Velodyne sub I pulled from my HT system.

Have read great things about the Rogue as well, but have not heard one.

GoldprintAudio likes this.
  4. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

Thanks heyMo! Are you using headphones too?

5. heyMo

heyMo Forum Resident

I am not a big user of headphones and haven't invested a lot into it. I did do a comparison with the Peachtree to using a Dragonfly connected directly into my MacBook. I thought a lot more detail came out with the Peachtree vs the Dragronfly (2nd generation). Background vocals and instruments came through more clearly. More than once I heard more than I had heard previously through just using the Dragonfly.

I have not used the headphones to listen to albums.

FWIW, as I said, I haven't invested much into headphones, as I rarely use them. I only have a pair of BOSE QC15's used when I traveled with it's, what, 30 gauge cable?

6. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

I have the Sphinx V1 and as an amp I think it's terrific. Supposedly the headphone and phono sections are improved in V2 (they are nothing to write home about in V1) but I have an external phono pre and almost never listen through headphones so that wasn't an issue for me. I use the amp to drive Salk Song Towers and it really sounds terrific. I also like the more industrial look of it.

wilejoe likes this.
  7. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I demoed the Sphinx V1 and didn't buy it. Demoed a Nova150 and snapped it up. I love Rogue gear, having owned a CM and currently an RP5, but the overall great sound, excellent DAC, decent phono, tape loop, and very good headphone out make the Nova my favorite setup for my office system of all I've used, and I've had some really great gear in that system.

I would go with the Nova150 in a heartbeat!

8. AlecA

AlecA Forum Resident

I've had the Rogue Sphinx v2 for about a week now (bought from Uptown Audio--thanks Bill!). It replaced a pair of Emotiva mono blocks and a Conrad Johnson Classic preamp. I'm enjoying it immensely. It's not as bright as the Emotivas, but still fully detailed. I don't have a turntable, so I can't comment on the phono amp. I haven't done a lot of listening with headphones, but I like what I'm hearing, so far. The Rogue is having no troubles with my MMGs, and I can't wait to hear it with my newly ordered KEF LS50s. I wanted to simplify my setup, and I feel that I'm getting better sound.

9. LeonAlopecico

LeonAlopecico Forum Resident

I have the Sphinx V1 with the LS50 and sounds wonderful. I also have the Rogue Triton (which sounds really great) and the phono pre included in the sphinx supposedly it is reduced version of it.

10. RND4mGuy

RND4mGuy Forum Resident

I'm contemplating these 2 integrateds as well for my Polk LSiM 705s. They are close to the same price but with the Peachtree also having the built in DAC. Sounds like either choice would be a winner really. Totally different look though with the edge I'd give to Peachtree.

11. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

many years ago I demoed the sphinx v 1. i could not stand to listen to it- horrible grainy overly bright sound.
    since then i have learned that the bad sound was not a reflection of the amp, but rather the speakers (Dali tower speakers). Not a fan of the Dali sound especially the ones with the ribbon super tweeter.

Slippers-on and timind like this.
  12. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

I have a Sphinx V1 and it sounds wonderful feeding my Salk Soundtowers, great balance of sound at any volume level with these speakers. My next amp will be a Rogue Pharaoh.

avanti1960 likes this.
  13. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

I’m also trying to decide between these two amps. I’m hearing both next week, but I hate demoing stuff in a store, it never sounds that way once you bring stuff home.

Not sure which would pair better with Focal Chorus 816’s.

At least from the reading and reviews the Peachtree seems to come out on top, plus I like that it’s 150 Watts.

14. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I haven't heard the peachtree but own the Rogue Sphinx v2. It runs my B&W 805 D3's and sounds excellent. Very sweet and smooth.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  15. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

I'm not fond of integrated amps with built in DACs- the technology changes too quickly on the digital side. You are better off with an external DAC IMO.

I'd go Rogue. I'm a Pharoah owner BTW.

Ken Clark likes this.
  16. avanti1960

I have come to prefer (actually demand) the idea of tubes in the amplification chain. They give you a bigger, deeper, 3-dimensional sound stage than 100% solid state. If you listen mainly in a dedicated spot with the speakers positioned for best sound stage and imaging, I would suggest the tube stage in the Sphinx because the difference will be noticeable.
    If you wander about the room and do not have sound stage optimized speaker positions you can still have the advantage of swapping in different tube brands if you prefer a different sound- more bass, less bass, clearer midrange etc.
    With solid state you are locked into the tonality that the amplifier delivers.
    Each amplifier delivers enough power to drive your speakers. The Peachtree will be able to go slightly louder if listening at very loud volume is your thing.
    If you are setup for a quality sound stage I believe you will love the sound of the Sphinx.

17. Vinyl Fan 1973

Thanks for the advice. I do have a dedicated listening position, with speakers positioned just right. When I started reading about the Sphinx I thought wow an amp made for me and my budget, but further reading presented limitations and negative reviews. Which lead me to read on about Hegel, Peachtree, Unison Unico, and Marantz. I like the idea of having tubes somewhere in the chain, in fact it was the reasoning to want the Parks Audio Budgie external phono stage.

I seem to remember why I gave up on buying new gear two years ago, I got frustrated and gave up. I got the bug again recently, but after all the reading I’ve done I’m slowly getting frustrated again. Too many reviews, too many opinions and the last thing I want to do is spend $2000 on an amp I’m not going to love.

This review gave me some hope, and their review of the Peachtree was not great.

Rogue Audio Sphinx integrated amplifier

I’m listening to the Sphinx in a few days, so hopefully it will go well and taking it home with me.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  18. avanti1960

good luck!
    at some point you have to just take a leap of faith. the amps you are considering are well regarded and will become not a matter of quality but of preference in their presentation.

19. Vinyl Fan 1973

Thanks. Do you think I should be concerned about looking at a class D amp and running Focals?

20. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

I know you didn't direct this at me, but Class D and Magnepans work extremely well together, although Magnepan cautions against it. Also, Rogue has the best sounding implementation of Class D I've heard to date. I'd think you'd be fine with Focals and Class D, or at least Rogue's Class D.

displayname and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  21. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Do you mean the actual D/A conversion? Because a great D/A will remain a great D/A. Now if you mean format compatibility (when new things like 24/96 then DSD then multiple DSDs then MQA etc come along), then it's a good point...depending on if you care about any of that.

22. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Depends on the amp, eh? "Class D" just describes a basic topology, which can be implemented poorly or ingeniously, sounding somewhat crude or by this point in time quite good.

23. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

I was with a friend at Audio Element in Pasadena and they had the Rogue, sounded fine connected to Wharfedale Reva 4s and Dali towers whose model number I don't recall. We had also heard the Peachtree at Monaco on a different occasion. To me it sounded fine but that setup was not the best environment to be too discerning. My friend has heard it more and feels it is a bit "Class D"sounding.

Really I think you are picking apples and oranges as far as functionality-the Sphinx is a plain plain amp, the Peachtree lets you integrate streaming etc. My friend pretty much streams exclusively, so if he gets something like the Rogue then he needs outboard DAC etc-the Peachtree becomes a more elegant solution.

What sources and speakers are you going to use the amp with?

24. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

I'm referring to format compatibility.

25. Vinyl Fan 1973

I think you’re right, and thanks for your response. There is a lot to love about the Rogue. The only design aspect that I’m not crazy about is the lack of shield beside the power source. Some users claim the unit can leak electrical noise, and some had to get power conditioners to tame that. Some said upgrading the tubes helped too. That would get on my nerves quick if there was any leakage going on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.