What does Steve Hoffman think of the new Beatles Sgt. Pepper remix?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by NGeorge, May 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

2. All the more impressive since I don’t think Ringo used a hi-hat on Get Back!

:D

3. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

An elitist insult if I ever saw one. :rolleyes:

evilpants, stevenson66g and CraigBic like this.
  4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Sonically he thinks its " crushed ", but if it appeals to young people that's a good thing, but for old fans who are looking for a better sound it's not for them.

Michael likes this.
  5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I agree...

6. alexpop

The new mix has got its fans.
    And they prefer it to the original mono/stereo. Some don't like mono as they only listen on headphones, some don't like the wide stereo of the original mix and instrument placing. Some don't mind the loudness factor of the 2017 mix ( turn the vol knob down).
    If Sgt Pepper is the precedent for future Beatles album mixes, then I'll have to pass myself and save my dough for something else.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    aphexj and vonwegen like this.
  7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'm good on Beatles product...I don't need anymore...out of curiosity I listened to the remix of Sgt Pepper...been collecting Beatles for many years now.....no interest in future remixes as well...

8. alexpop

no interest"
    I have, sadly.
    But...it's becoming a fact I'm a socks n sandals guy when it comes to Beatles music as I prefer the original artifact it seems. I would like to have the chance to listen to a SACD or say a 45 x2LPs of either Abbey Road or AHDN even in the future. No chance for Pepper now!!!

9. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

This was a missed opportunity. The drums and bass should have been centered for all songs, with the original dynamics rendered faithfully.
    Instead, we got squashed sound and questionable placement of instruments in the stereo landscape.

bherbert, WonkyWilly and alexpop like this.
  10. alexpop

A travesty wrapped in fancy packaging.

vonwegen likes this.
  11. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

First you said Mr Hoffman liked it.

Now you see he is not a great enthusiast for it you accuse him of being "unprofessional."

Congratulations! You win the hypocrite of this, or any other year, award.

12. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

I mean locked, I just misspelled - which it in fact was for some ours some days ago - it should have stayed that way.

13. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

It would be helpful if people would stop perpetuating this misconception. The volume knob does not solve the problem.

supermd, Dino, NorthNY Mark and 9 others like this.
  14. alexpop

Agree.
    The playback should sound good at any volume.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  15. Halfwit

Halfwit Forum Resident

I wouldn't waste your time engaging with this chancer. I happen to recognise him from another forum, where after multiple suspensions for the same sort of nonsense behaviour he was finally perma banned.

bobcat likes this.
  16. Psychedelic Good Trip

The Kiss remasters 1996--97 are low but you are able to turn the volume up at will. The volume knob will be so ever useful. Clear loud masters at the listeners choosing.

alexpop likes this.
  17. alexpop

One of the reasons I favour early CDs.
    1987 Sgt Pepper cd for example.

18. Psychedelic Good Trip

I agree with ya. At times though I hated low volume early cds. I don't mind some compression but an even application would be highly liked by me on reissues of today. To much is bad IMHO. The Stones A Bigger Bang is in need of a serious decompression :D. Reissues 2017 of box sets like Whitesnake and Hysteria are all pumped up. Than again some listeners will say they should be like that as they are party albums.

19. alexpop

I think when the CD reissues came out the selling point was they were louder or with extra tracks. Of course lots got rid of the older CDs as the reissues had better packaging etc. Ha, only to find them seeking out their early first pressings CDs again ( me included ).

Bern and Psychedelic Good Trip like this.
  20. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

They should have done two versions of the Pepper remix.
    One to play on mp3, cellphones, computers & radio stations and the other one (for us) on good stereo equipment.

21. Psychedelic Good Trip

Great point. Got to make money on the reissues. I like the loud only when it's turned up at ones will. Not shoved on the listener.

alexpop likes this.
  22. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

It was a question but I forgot the ?

23. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

You say you agree, but your "playback should sound good at any volume" comment only serves to perpetuate (again) the problem that I referred to.

24. milco

milco Forum Resident

I don't know why Apple don't do that. Personally, I love the Pepper remix. I am 55 years old (and therefore far from a kiddie) and have a decent budget hi-fi. The re-mix sounds great on my system...stunning. However, given that there is obviously a numerically significant school of thought that says it is too loud, I don't see why a 'high dynamic range' version couldn't be inserted on the Blu-ray, so everyone is happy.

ParloFax likes this.
  25. alexpop

If the mastering is not " crushed " then cd playback should sound good at any volume.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.