EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I know. I think we can get by with casually mentioning religion/faith without getting into specifics. There's nothing wrong with the topic in and of itself, but there are people who have extremely passionate feelings and opinions about religion and faith which makes them a no-no here. Sometimes, there is no way around it if it relates to music, but we have to tread carefully. With "Imagine", I was worried that someone was going to come in and express strong views against the song for that one opening lyric.

Hey Vinyl Man likes this.
  2. alphanguy

alphanguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well... there is a controversial act coming up very soon, that I think will go fine as long as nobody interjects personal argument into it and only discusses it in a historical perspective. I think it will be ok, but we can just remember ahead of time, to keep ourselves "pulled back" somewhat when discussing it.

Grant likes this.
  3. ronm

ronm audiofreak

JCS? Anyway Melanie was good on Lay Down ...BNK was part of my earliest AM radio memories.

4. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

No, it can't be that since nothing from that album hit #1 on the singles chart. I'm guessing it's the very next song though I don't consider it polarizing like some other songs we've discussed or will discuss in the future. Bye Bye.

5. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

If it's the song I think it is, the artist in question did also have a hit with a song from JCS, although not the song we'll be discussing.

6. Grant

OK, you guys motivated me to look and see what the next #1 song is. From my perspective, there is no controversy at all. There wasn't where I lived. If there was any controversy, it will be mentioned when the song is posted. I am not aware of any.:shrug:

7. alphanguy

Well.. we might as well have fair warning, I am referring to Helen Reddy's Grammy speech. We can just remember to tread lightly when that time comes.

Hey Vinyl Man likes this.
  8. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

Haha, I had forgotten about that. Today it just sounds like an awesome joke, especially for what she won the Grammy for. Maybe we have moved forward a bit after all.

9. Grant

I'm not familiar with her Grammy speech.:shrug:

10. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

She referred to god as "she" when giving thanks for the award. I think it's perfect, it gives the finger to the religious nutters and the misogynists all in one gracious sentence.

11. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

I mean it fit perfectly with the theme of the song she won it for right?

sunspot42 likes this.
  12. Grant

Ah! Yeah, that was back in 1972. The world was way different then, but we still have a lot of people around who still think the old way, especially in small-town/rural America.

The song is almost a year away. I thought he was talking about the next #1 single.

Manapua and sunspot42 like this.
  13. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Although "Superstar" is not one of my favorites, I agree that Karen gave a great performance on the song. There's another song that might work as a companion to "Superstar": "Road Ode"

zebop, Victor/Victrola and Manapua like this.
  14. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I'd consider a song an instrument even if there are vocals as long as they function basically as punctuation within the song. An example I can point to is "One Step Beyond" by Madness, where (after the intro) the only lyrics are the words "One Step Beyond" (although someone pointed out that the words "Let's Go" also appear but like with "One Step Beyond" they basically function as vocal punctuation rather than lyrics)

From what understand, Richard changed the line to "to be with you again" to keep it more in line with the Carpenters image. It had the side effect of making the song more likely to be covered since some performers might have been a bit uncomfortable with the original lyrics.

Karen getting it right the first time doesn't seem to be that unusual considering the song "Trying To Get The Feeling Again." The released version is from a work lead for the song and is likely the first time Karen sang the song (the work lead has a flaw of Karen turning the page as she sings), yet she sings the song perfectly (it is one of my favorite Carpenters songs, fighting for the #2 position with "Goodbye To Love" and "Love Me For What I Am").

15. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

The Carpenters were always at their best when Karen sang as though she was alone and casually singing to herself.

Dougd and zebop like this.
  16. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

That could be my fault since I posited it was probably the next song up. OP stated another controversial tune would appear very soon. Looking over the #1 tunes of '72, the Helen Reddy song was the only one that fit that description but seeing as it appears late in the year, I dismissed it. I'll explain my reasoning for naming the next #1 as possibly controversial when it comes up.

Hey Vinyl Man and Grant like this.
  17. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Karen could sing with a head cold and a frog in her throat and still create a thing of beauty! :frog:

Grant likes this.
  18. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

I've not heard that version of "Feeling Again" before - I don't have the Voice of the Heart album - but I must agree that she in incredible on it. And you've nailed my two favorite Carpenters songs as well - Goodbye to Love and Love Me For What I Am.

19. Grant

I understand. We all want to get these songs going!:D That's partly why I went ahead and posted the first #1 single of 1972 on the Every #1 R&B thread this morning.

Manapua likes this.
  20. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

In light of this Helen Reddy discussion, it's interesting to note that our current #1 contains the line "Some people think I done all right for a girl", and that only one other woman would hit #1 in '72 (Roberta Flack).

Grant and sunspot42 like this.
  21. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

But that one other hit would enjoy the longest stay at #1 - six weeks - of the year. I think 1972 also marks the beginning of a trend we'll see throughout the seventies: songs that got to #1 that absolutely no one will admit to liking today (Chuck Berry, we're looking at you...).

Black Thumb and sunspot42 like this.
  22. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I don't think this counts as "treading lightly." Disagreeing with groups of people doesn't mean they are nuts and creeps.

Dougd, Zeki, Pickoid and 2 others like this.
  23. Grant

Wrong! I freely state that I like "My Ding-A-Ling". The question is why people dislike it. I think it's a cute little song.

John22 and John54 like this.
  24. alphanguy

Ok.... next up is "American Pie" by Don McClean, #1 from January 9 - February 5, 1972.

25. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Actually, women hitting #1 were , for the most part, few and far between in the late 60s to early 70s time frame. Let's take the years '66 - '72 for example:

'66 - Petula Clark, Nancy Sinatra & The Supremes
    '67 - Supremes, Aretha Franklin, Bobby Gentry & Lulu
    '68 - Jeannie C. Riley & The Supremes
    '69 - The Supremes
    '70 - Diana Ross
    '71 - Janis Joplin, The Honey Cone, Carole King, Cher & Melanie
    '72 - Melanie (carry-over from '71), Roberta Flack & Helen Reddy

If Diana & The Supremes didn't exist, the number would drop to zero in '69 and '70 and drastically reduced during the years '64 through '68. A case could be made for including groups with female leads like The Carpenters or Shocking Blue but I went by stricter rules. Things were better in the pre-British Invasion years and later in the 70s.

Black Thumb and sunspot42 like this.