The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. and another from Mr Bassman....

[​IMG]

Journey To Love - Stanley Clarke (Epic/Legacy) CD
    with basic personnel
    Stanley Clarke (alembric electric bass, acoustic, piccolo bass, vocals, bells, organ, gong),
    George Duke
    (moog synthesizer, arp odyssey organ, arp string ensemble, clavinet, electric & acoustic piano, bells, vocal),
    David Sancious
    (electric & 12 string guitar), Stephen Gadd (drums)
    +
    Jeff Beck (electric guitar / 2 tracks), Lenny White (drums / 1 track), Chick Corea (acoustic piano / 1 track), Mahavishnu John McLaughlin (acoustic guitar / 1 track)
    + Brass section (1 track)

Recorded 1975 | CD Legacy edition mastered by Mark Wilder

2. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Senior Member

McCoy Tyner - Asante
    From disc 3 session (F) of Mosaic Select: McCoy Tyner
    McCoy Tyner, piano & wooden flute; Andrew White, alto sax; Ted Dunbar, guitar; Buster Williams, bass;
    Billy Hart, drums / African percussion; Mtume, congas/ percussion; Songai Sandra Smith, vocals.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  3. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Miles DavisNewport Jazz Festival 1967 [(CD 2b) from The Bootleg Series Vol. 4, At Newport 1955-75] (Columbia/Legacy)
    — With Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter, Tony Williams; recorded live at Festival Field, Newport, RI.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

“I believe there is no need for album notes. Miles’ brilliant music in this live recording at Philharmonic Hall in Berlin speaks for itself.” - Rudy Wolpert‬

Miles in Berlin

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. jiffypopinski

jiffypopinski Forum Resident

The 2nd one is the version I have. I no longer have the domestic release but, as Lon said, there isn't a huge difference in sound quality.... I doubt this will ever sound great anyway!

noname74 likes this.
  6. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

7. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

My vinyl is sounding especially good lately. I don't know if its because of the low humidity do to the frigging cold temperatures outside or if its been that I'm really into what I've been listening to. Yesterday it was Freddie Hubbard's Hub-Tones and Lee Morgan's Lee-Way both of which were stunning leaving me to want to play more but I had things to do. Today its Stanley Turrentine and Jim Hall. Sugar, despite all the sound processing Van Gelder could muster for 1970 was engrossing and Concierto just so rich and inviting I just got carried away.

Stanley Turrentine - Sugar
    Stanley Turrentine, tenor saxophone; Billy Kaye, drums; Butch Cornell, organ; Lonnie Smith, Jr., electric piano; George Benson, guitar; Freddie Hubbard, trumpet; Ron Carter, bass; Richard "Pablo" Landrum.

[​IMG]

Jim Hall - Concierto
    Jim Hall, guitar; Roland Hanna, piano; Ron Carter, bass; Steve Gadd, drums; Chet Baker, trumpet; Paul Desmond, alto saxophone.
    [​IMG]

8. [​IMG]

School Days - Stanley Clarke (Epic/Legacy) CD
    with
    Stanley Clarke (electric / acoustic bass, piccolo bass guitar, acoustic piano, vocals +)
    David Sancious (keyboards, moog synthesizer), Raymond Gomez (guitar), Gerry Brown / Stephen Gadd (drums), Milt Holland (percussion, conga, triangle), John McLaughlin (acoustic guitar - 1 track), George Duke (keyboards - 1 track), Billy Cobham (drums - 1 track) + brass section (1 track).

Recorded 1976 | CD Legacy edition mastered by Mark Wilder

*I previously dismissed Stanley Clarke (albums) without giving any of them any real attention but I am pleased to discover the three I have played in the last day or two have been turned out to be a very refreshing listens.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  9. Another one from Mr Clarke!

[​IMG]

Modern Man - Stanley Clarke (Epic/Legacy) CD
    with
    musicians & singers, too numerous to mention.

Recorded 1978 | CD Legacy edition mastered by Mark Wilder

I have heard this twice now (and in as many days) and am not too sure what to make of it. This album may be one of the reasons I passed on Stanley Clarke albums back in the 1970s. There maybe too many musical directions here for my liking (albeit some sounding very tasty sounding pieces), and more vocal tracks than I had expected. Out of the 4 Stanley Clarke I have played this is the one that should not really be listed in this 'Jazz Beat' thread.

beatboy1975 and fatwad666 like this.
  10. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

The lack of midrange bloom might be a system dependent thing. The Webster and Holiday that I‘ve cleaned and played so far are very nicely balanced overall. No, they are not as good as the 45 rpm AP or ORG reissues but on my system, they sure beat the originals :)

11. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

The Classic Quartet - Complete Impulse! Studio Recordings

Box Set

1. [​IMG]

2. [​IMG]

3. [​IMG]

12. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

13. Chriss Ons

Chriss Ons Forum Resident

Charlie Parker - "Bird" Symbols, Japanese 1978 reissue
    Overseas Records– KUX-99-V / Charlie Parker Records – PLP-407

[​IMG]

14. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

You mean the original LP pressings? Can't comment on those as I don't have them, will take your word for it.

I have an all-tube system (including a vintage power amp) with plenty of mids conveyed when they are present. There are OK mids on these LPs but they just don't match the newer reissues you mention, I agree. Ludwig/Masterdisk had a rather "dry" approach to jazz remastering in general.

15. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

RCA had some of the best recording engineers. A lot of the recordings on this sound like they could have been recorded in the last 10 years. Great vocal presence. You can almost smell the gin on his breath.
    [​IMG]

16. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Jimmy Heath Orchestra, REALLY BIG! (recorded in 1960 and originally a Riverside LP). These Keepnews Collections CDs, mastered by Joe Tarantino, sounded great, no exception here. And this is one of Heath's finest recordings of the era, with a group including Nat Adderley cornet, Clark Terry trumpet and flugelhorn, Tom McIntosh trombone, Dick Berg french horn, Cannonball Adderley alto sax, and Pat Patrick (long with Sun Ra) on baritone sax, Tommy Flanagan or Cedar Walton piano, and brothers Percy and Albert on bass and drums. Five star material!

17. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Yeah, the newer reissues, the 45s are great.
    The Speakers Corner Verve reissues I find a bit of a mixed bag. The ones mastered by Kevin Gray at wherever are excellent. The sound on those certainly beats these late '70s two fers. Not surprising given the mastering chain he has.
    The Speakers Corner Verves mastered locally at Emil Berliner Studios in Berlin from tape copies I find not so good.

I would agree, Masterdisk took a rather dry approach to these, although I find the ones I've played so far really well balanced overall. Great sound, chronologically ordered. I find the track order actually makes more sense on these than on the originals. I find it a bit disjointing sometimes on the originals jumping from one recording session to another, months or even years apart.
    I like tubes too. Mine is all triodes.

18. Still checking out this box set I picked up in the bargains late last year...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Complete 1970s Epic Albums Collection - Stanley Clarke (Epic/Legacy) 7CD

CDs 5 & 6

[​IMG]

I Wanna Play For You - Stanley Clarke (Epic/Legacy) 2CD

Recorded 1977-1979 & featuring at least 25 other musicians.

CD Legacy edition mastered by Mark Wilder

I have only just heard this live double live album and was disappointed with the music on CD1 because it reminded me of what I disliked most about the Modern Man record and it seemed to continue in the same musical manner with it's inclusion of various styles (rock, disco, vocals, etc).
    Disc 2 was a bit more appealing with some reasonable live versions of previously recorded studio pieces that can be found on the first 3 studio albums included in this box set.

19. The 7th and final disc from Stanley Clarke's The Complete 1970s Epic Albums Collection

[​IMG]

Stanley Clarke Live 1976-1977 (Epic/Legacy) CD
    with
    Stanley Clarke (electric & acoustic bass guitar, piccolo bass guitar), Al Harrison / James Tinsley (b flat trumpets / flugelhorn), Bob Malach (tenor sax), Alfie Williams (soprano sax), Peter Robinson (fender rhodes electric piano, B-3 organ, arp string ensenble, mini moog bass), Raymond Gomez (electric guitar), Gerry Brown (drums)

also including
    David Sancious (electric piano - 3 tracks), John McLaughlin (acoustic guitar - 1 track), Darryl Munyungo Jackson (percussion - 1 track)

CD Legacy edition mastered by Mark Wilder

A third live album from the box! This one however is the business! All superb music played by basically the same group of musicians plus the fact fact there are no vocals, and no attempts at disco, helps considerably, plus the music itself is much more focused than the previous 3 discs. Like the first 3 albums in the box this is, without any doubt, well worth having.

All discs in this box sound very good and all relevant recording info is included in a 20 page booklet.

* This is the only album in the box that was never issued originally on Nemperor Records

20. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

First records played in 2018: Freddie Hubbard - The Artistry of Freddie Hubbard + Hub Cap

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. jiffypopinski

jiffypopinski Forum Resident

Michael Cosmic - Peace In The World / Phill Musra Group - Creator Spaces (3CD Set)

[​IMG]

22. [​IMG]

Extrapolation - John McLaughlin (Polydor)
    with
    John Surman (baritone & soprano sax), John McLaughlin (electric & acoustic guitar), Brian Odges (bass), Tony Oxley (drums)

Originally released 1969 on Marmalde LP

23. hockman

hockman Forum Resident

This is one of McLaughlin's essential albums. The music is great and the sound on the original Polydor CD is very good. But the Marmalade LP betters it.

jay.dee likes this.
  24. fatwad666

fatwad666 Forum Resident

Ahmad Jamal - The Complete Ahmad Jamal Trio Argo Sessions 1956–62

Oscillating between discs 2 and 3 late at night. What a great set from Mosaic. This is the first release I've been able to purchase directly from them (blame my youth — wish I could've experienced the label's heyday). Glad to have such supreme music at hand.

[​IMG]

25. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Senior Member

The Complete Modern Jazz Quartet Prestige & Pablo Recordings
    Discs 1 & 2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]