The Rolling Stones On Air In The Sixties Book and Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joe1320, Jul 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I never got mine from the Stones store and I preordered the first day.I contacted them but never heard back.

The Beave likes this.
  2. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

There’s an interesting interview in the Mojo this month asking Mick questions about on Air, one question asks him how he thinks it sounds, interesting subject that one.

He was asked why more of the Abkco/Decca catalogue is not being re issued like Majesties Request and he said it’s a lot more complicated cause they don’t have as much control as Sticky Fingers onwards what he says he had a lot of involvement in with the re issue.

3. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

@Carl80 what did Mick say about On Air and how did he think it sounded?

4. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Hey guys. The RS store is terrible. Avoid then if at all possible. Unfortunately, sometimes they are the only place to get certain items - like Tour t-shirts or yellow vinyl.

They aren’t dishonest, but the are incompetent. I ordered an in stock shirt once that took 3 months to “ship”. At the end of the day, it usually arrives, and if you never get an item, they’ll refund your money, but it can be a frustrating process.

Carl80 and ashlee5 like this.
  5. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

Mine never arrived either - I have now been offered a refund as they have no more yellow vinyl copies left - pretty rubbish considering I ordered on release day.

I shall just have to make do with listening to it on spotify...

The Beave likes this.
  6. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

That’s unfortunate. It’s been that way for a few years now. I used to have a conspiracy theory - they make the service as poor as possible to force folks to buy merch at the shows. But, this isn’t even Tour merchandise, so I guess they just aren’t very good at what they do.

7. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Less than 5 minutes of editing and The Last Time faux pas is no more on my ipod. There is no reason this shouldn't have been fixed beforehand.

PIGGIES, aphexj, The Beave and 6 others like this.
  8. sethICE

sethICE Forum Resident

I received a package at home today that might be it... I won't know for sure until I get home. Will post an update.

9. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

The interviewer asked him did he like the sound and did anything horrify him ! He said no and he thought the sound was a lot better and they usually only had one take to record things, if they made a mistake or didn’t like it they couldn’t do it again.

10. sethICE

sethICE Forum Resident

Yes!!! It finally arrived today (Yellow 2LP + the 2CD), 27 days after release. I listened to the whole vinyl version and I liked it very much.

The yellow vinyl is a lighter shade than I was expecting - lighter than the album cover. Almost a pastel canary yellow. (But much better than the "vomit green" on the McCartney's recent Ram reissue.)

Carl80 likes this.
  11. steveharris

Mine arrived this morning also.

12. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

I have the 2 CD version but I had to rip it today so I could put it into chronological order. Is it just me?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    johnnybrum likes this.
  13. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Same here, but they, two copies finally showed up today.
    The Yellow vinyl versions have a Yellow colored cover, different from the black vinyl cover.
    Very poor customer service as I still haven't gotten a response from my e mail over two weeks ago.
    Beave

steveharris likes this.
  14. The Doctor

The Doctor Forum Resident

How about:
    Give us:
    -Complete Beggar's Banquet sessions boxset, including flubs and outtakes and wiped tracks
    -Complete Let it Bleed sessions boxset. Both include outtakes and alternate takes.
    -Find some source with sound for the 1968 NME show. Cobble together audio with video if there's not both from the same source.
    -Release DVDs of all music videos from 1963 to present restored in HD.

15. The Doctor

I also want to see the 86 memorial show for Stu. It's the only Stones performance between 82 and 89.

16. steveharris

Mine finally showed up yesterday too.:)
    I`m really wondering if more 60`s archive recordings will be out this coming year.

17. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I believe we'll be waiting a few more years for digital technology to catch up with THAT request!

18. The Doctor

They could easily do the rest. I want NME 68 and Stu's Memorial Show from '86.

19. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

huh? They played a ton of times between 82 and 89, no? I saw them in 89.

20. nickde

nickde Forum Resident

I think the above post makes it a good time to get this thread back on track.

21. The Doctor

Outside of the end of the 82 tour and the beginning of the 89 tour they played only one show in 1986.

22. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

Wow, it took more than a month, but the yellow vinyl set got here after all (with a corner crush but I won’t complain). Look forward to playing them later tonight.

:wave:

23. JOHN LOWE

JOHN LOWE Active Member

The album seems to be a joint BBC, Promotone and ABKCO production.
    Presumably the above organisations have agreed a split of profits and/or royalty rate for the musicians concerned.
    Will Keith/Mick/Charlie receive just the same dosh as Bill and the Brian Jones Estate?

24. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

Finally bought this yesterday at a local shop and I can't stop listening to it! So cool to hear the band during its early years and the song selection reminds us of the band's influences with numbers by Chuck Berry, Solomon Burke, Muddy Waters and even Hank Snow. This now gives me an excuse to go back to their first 3 albums for another overview. Perfect companion and possible missing link to their early years for sure. Love It!!!

Dee Zee and Carl80 like this.
  25. tmccool1

tmccool1 New Member

I ordered mine in early November. I received an e-mail telling me that it was "dispatched" (I guess that means "shipped" in the UK) on November 30. There is no tracking available because it was sent STANDARD MAIL!!!! According to the Stones Store terms of service, they ask that you allow 2-4 weeks for international deliveries. Four weeks out would be December 28. Considering the holidays and the store's notoriously slow service, I'm going to give them an extra two weeks before I complain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.