Almost Famous or Rock Star ?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ronm, Dec 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I love Almost Famous from the music to the little moments and don't find it formulaic at all. I dislike both Mark Wahlberg (horrible actor) and Jennifer Aniston so, no. A big no.

Ernest T likes this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I like the story of Rock Star...and I disagree that mark is a horrible actor...I've enjoyed most of his movies...

3. He can be adequate in an appropriate film but he doesn't have any range as an actor. Glad you enjoy him unfortunately, I don't.

Michael likes this.
  4. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

I used to really dislike Wahlburg. I thought he turned the corner in the Departed and have liked most of his movies since then. Deepwater Horizon is great.

Michael likes this.
  5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Ya know, I think my favorite rock & roll movie is The Idolmaker, and it was just aired over the weekend on HD Net and I managed to snag it. That's a good movie, and it's an excellent reminder of how people get screwed over in the pop music business. Phantom of the Paradise is another good one. I like parts of Almost Famous, but it drags somewhere in the middle and I think it never quite recovers.

I think Wahlberg is good in certain things, but he's keenly aware that he has limited range as an actor. When he was interviewed by Howard Stern a year or two ago, he mentioned that of all his films, he thought he was terrible in Planet of the Apes and in M. Night Shyamalan's The Happening, and wished he had not done them.

wayneklein and Michael like this.
  6. Michael

that's what makes the world go round. : ) he's no Olivier, but he's serviceable...

wayneklein likes this.
  7. Michael

never disliked him, and I agree on the 2...

8. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

My wife and I saw Almost Famous at the theater when it came out and liked it. She liked it a lot more more than I did, but it was pretty good then. A few years ago she got me the DVD of it, and watching it again I could barely sit through the whole thing. I guess once was enough. There are scenes in it here and there that are really nice, but there are also whole long sections of the film that bore me to death now. I have no desire to ever sit through the whole film again.

Rock Star I've not seen, and considering I don't care for those two main actors at all, I'll pass.

samthesham likes this.
  9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I agree that "Departed" was a turning point for Wahlberg - after seeming so bland in most of his movies, he actually showed a personality and talent!

He's an erratic actor but he can be good given the right circumstances...

LEONPROFF likes this.
  10. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

I saw the movie only once back when it was released on VHS and I really enjoyed it. Must see this again! A pity you don't see much of Tom Everitt Scott these days as he appeared a likable character in that film.

As for Almost Famous and Rock Star - AF is one of my all-time favourite films. And I agree, the Bootleg Cut is a must! As for RS, I saw this in the Cinema when it came out. I was the only person in the theatre during a late session and I did happen to enjoy the soundtrack at the time. While I hear the movie was loosely based on Ripper Owens' time with Priest, I also learned that Halford, Downing, Tipton etc, tried to disassociate themselves from the movie - and I can't really say I blame them. And yes, the Wahlberg doing grunge at the end was laughable now that I think about it.

11. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Almost Famous

12. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

To be honest I was in underground radio(1971-1976) and met those and others portrayed in the movie and THAT is pretty much right on with its presentation.Sad to say.One time is more than enough for me.The scene with the OD groupie in Plants room is how they damn near all viewed those chicks.Especially LZ,The Band,Allmans,Pink Floyd&Lindsey Buckingham not to mention the Eagles.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  13. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

I love Almost Famous especially the "Untitled" cut.

Then only good aspect of Rock Star was Jennifer in the dress.

14. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

The Idolmaker is awesome. Great soundtrack too.

I'd add Paul Simon's "One Trick Pony" into the 'movies about music biz' that were really good.

Vidiot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.