What does Steve Hoffman think of the new Beatles Sgt. Pepper remix?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by NGeorge, May 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

yes, they were first - and in many cases also the best. It's one thing to have the technical ability to play rings around someone else, it's quite another to compose music of a certain calibre. Just as an example, I never really thought that Jimmy Page was particularly all that great of a guitar player compared to someone like Jeff Beck; what Page was great at in those days was creating outstanding dynamics in the way in which he composed his songs. It is more of a challenge (imo) for young musicians today because of a radical shift in the social paradigm among other things, including state-of-the-art of instruments and recording technology.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  2. Maybe ol' Giles knew it would be a fool's errand to try and cater to the 'FANS' since the original stereo mix is perfect and doesn't need to be/can't be improved upon.

Joy-of-radio likes this.
  3. Quatermass

Quatermass Member

:laughup:

4. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

For me personally, calling the new Sgt Pepper a remix is an understatement, he reprocessed the individual tracks with modern effects. Panning and leveling is one thing, but altering the original recordings with modern effects steps beyond mixing, IMO

WonkyWilly, Joy-of-radio and alexpop like this.
  5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Join the dislike club.

6. alexpop

Did Geoff Emerick get a credit in tbe 2017 packaging?

7. alexpop

He was offered the job. Be a fool not to accept. It sold loads, job well done ..industry speak.

8. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Love.

9. Crimson Witch

Dr. Ebbetts said the 2009 Apple remasters are superior to all of his needle drops

10. followmehome

followmehome Forum Resident

You clearly don't understand what remixing is, bless you.

11. Please explain it, then.

12. followmehome

followmehome Forum Resident

Google can probably help you there. The original mixes themselves aren't a raw transfer of the multitrack tapes with no compression or processing.

They also probably wanted to create something that sounded great, not just create something that just sounded like a vintage alt mix for a tiny percentage of people who can't stand change and complain about everything. The people complaining about this remix are few and far between (and generally think they're above everyone else somehow in regards to sound quality) and non-musical self-appointed audiophiles. I wonder how many people in successfull bands or competant mix engineers who have listened to the remix didn't think it was great and bleated on about the evils of compression.

Ephi82, milco, paolo and 1 other person like this.
  13. Quatermass

Quatermass Member

I have just been reading the CNet review of the new mix from Steve Guttenberg, he likes it also.

14. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Why are you insulting - e.g. "bleating" - the people who don't like it?....and this: "The people complaining about this remix are few and far between (and generally think they're above everyone else somehow in regards to sound quality)"....what a load of unpleasantness you generate....

My ears tell me all I need to know and no amount of "successful bands or competEnt mix engineers" are going to change my mind, if that is indeed their intention.

Joy-of-radio, ParloFax, Onder and 4 others like this.
  15. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

With all this making merry of late, the notion of A Christmas Carol with Giles has popped into my mind.

"Spirit, will no serious music fan listen to this catalog? Are these the images of what will be or might be? Oh Spirit, please, please release me from this ponderous chain of digitally-processed releases I have forged! I will hold The Beatles and their analog 1960's essence in my heart from this day forward!...

"Young man, is today Christmas Day? It is? Why, the analog spirits have done it all in one night! What a fine lad! Here, take this demixing plug-in, and...and... this version of the Love Me Do single mixed in 5.1 and take it to the town dump. Come back in 5 minutes and I'll give you a shilling to take a little more, like the DR6 Abbey Road blu ray master I need to find..."

And it was said from that day forward that no one held the Beatles in his heart better than Giles Martin. The catalog DID live on, finding lasting new young fans every year based not on cheap Pro Tools trickery, but on great-sounding and accurate restorations of the wonderful analog multitracks.

And as the new fans would say to the sound men and women as they walked into Abbey Road each day, "God bless you, every one, and Happy Krimble to all!!"

aphexj likes this.
  16. Quatermass

Quatermass Member

Looking back through this thread the only insulting posts have come from the members here who dislike this release.

17. Indeed. Is it possible the emperor is not wearing any clothes?

18. Quatermass

Quatermass Member

Can I ask why It is that some of you people seem to think that the host of this sites opinion is always correct but choose to ignore or attack reviews/opinion to the contrary?

PS
    No disrespect to the host.

milco likes this.
  19. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I personally don't care for the vintage stereo mix, so I certainly didn't want it sounding like that. And I would've loved "something that sounded great". This does not. They went to the trouble of going back to the pre-bounced tapes to remove layers of analog generations but added layers of digital processing. The compression leaves the recording lacking nuance and the limiting, well I question the competence of any engineer or musician who defends such destruction of the sound as anything other than willfully throwing out fidelity to gain volume.

Dino, WonkyWilly and APH like this.
  20. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

Umm... several who have been complaining have taken that tone. Some have explicitly said it. Others were flat out insulting and said the remix was for the “kiddies”.

milco and Quatermass like this.
  21. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Full Name
    Steve

Alias

Steve?
    The Player
    Whatever the player desires

Origin
    Minecraft

Occupation

Human, Miner
    Builder
    Alchemist
    Hunter
    Farmer
    Soldier
    Trader

Powers/Skills
    Building
    Planning
    Fighting skills
    Eating
    Strength
    Speed
    Endurance
    Alchemy
    Swimming
    Trading

Hobby
    Building
    Exploring
    Mining

Goals
    Dependent on player's choice.
    Defeat the Ender Dragon (succeeded)

Family

No information

Friends

Alex

Enemies

Ender Dragon
    Zombies
    Skeletons
    Creepers
    Wither

Type of Hero
    Dependent on player's choice

22. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

If you like someone's work you tend to respect their opinion about the area they operate in. What is strange about that?

By the same token, if you're implying that the people on this forum who don't like this remix have based their opinion on what they think the host of the forum thinks about it you are both wrong - those opinions were being forcefully expressed a long time before this thread existed - and insulting and disrespectful to them.

aroney and ParloFax like this.
  23. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Is the '87 a purple Capitol label with the smaller dome? If so, these were all basically the vinyl equivalents of the CD's that came out at that time...I had them all at one time. MTB, PPM, AHDN, BFS and Revolver all sounded particularly shrilly to me and I subsequently got rid of them.

24. Crimson Witch

Here's a couple of questions :
    (to no one in particular, purely conjecture)

1. )
    Is it preferable to hear the Sgt. Pepper album in such a way that it sounds like you are in the same room with the Beatles while they were playing their instruments during the recording session ?

2. )
    Did the Beatles intend for people to hear the Sgt. Pepper album in such a way that it sounds like they are in the same room with the Beatles while they were playing their instruments ?

25. Quatermass

Quatermass Member

" respect " being the operative word and has to be earned, so why is this mix so derided on here, surely though the guys who performed this mix are in an area they operate in, are they not also deserving of the same respect from here and fellow professionals. To put down a release as only fit for " kiddies" is very disrespectful IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.