Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Now listening to "Hildegard Von Bingen - The Origins Of Fire" performed by Anonymous 4 on Harmonia Mundi.

[​IMG]

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

:edthumbs:

3. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

More stuff to be got in 2018...

4. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I'm guessing the SACD sounds great.

ubertrout and ShallowMemory like this.
  5. coopmv

Now playing CD2 - Beethoven Symphony No. 9 from the following twofer ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is a shame a fine conductor like Kubelik never recorded the full Beethoven Symphonies cycle.

6. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Listening to disc 11 from Rudolf Serkin's big box, with Beethoven's Piano Sonatas 14, Op.27/2; 23, Op.57; 26, Op.81a (1951, 1948).

[​IMG]

7. My copy is from the excellent Decca Sound box set.

bigstar87 likes this.
  8. coopmv

I only have the LP version. I have a number of New Year's Concert in Vienna but they are all CD's except this one, which is also the earliest one ...

mdekoning likes this.
  9. ShallowMemory

I'd imagine so. The nod goes to an excellent recording on sacd here over regular cd where available other things being equal as I am amazing a good selection bought new or used although like most people I have a large legacy of regular ones although where I can't get say a complete series I'm upgrading some to the latest mastering so they sound better such as Kempff's Beethoven.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    bluemooze and ibanez_ax like this.
  10. coopmv

My 2-LP set says London on the cover since I bought mine around 1980. The Decca name was not re-introduced to the US until some twenty years later ...

mdekoning likes this.
  11. coopmv

Now playing CD59 - Cantatas Nos. 195 - 197 from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  12. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

As I have aged I have grown less tolerant of cold weather. Right now it is 13 (F) in Nashville. If I didn't need to go see my 91-year-old mother this afternoon I wouldn't stick my head out the door. On the other hand, she keeps her apartment at 78!

13. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

For anyone who hasn't seen it, here is a very interesting and enlightening article on the relative sound quality of London vs Decca vinyl ...
    IMO it's a must read for any vinyl collector whether you agree with the findings or not ...

PURCHASING CLASSICAL LP RECORDINGS
    PURCHASING CLASSICAL LP RECORDINGS

Happy New Year to all and happy hunting to all us classical collectors ... :cool:

Dan C likes this.
  14. bluemooze

Now listening to "Musica Vaticana" performed by Pomerium on Glissando.

Music from the Vatican Manuscripts (1503 - 1534)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wes H, DeepFloyd11 and Chriss Ons like this.
  15. coopmv

Thanks for the link. I don't have any Decca LP's though I do have many London LP's. I just noticed the London brand of CD's disappeared from the US market starting in the late 90's. I certainly have never seen @royzak2000 play any London LP's ... :)

ShallowMemory likes this.
  16. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Actually, the (American) Decca label was active here all along, although their classical catalog was slight compared to that of London/Decca (English). Once Polygram owned both Decca labels they re-introduced the Decca name on their classical recordings & retired the London label.

Bubbamike and J.A.W. like this.
  17. ShallowMemory

[​IMG]
    It's that man again!
    The next box I'll be playing-presently on disc one with Papillions op.2 and Carnaval op.9.
    Lovely mastering from the analogue tapes.

bluemooze, Wes H, DeepFloyd11 and 4 others like this.
  18. ShallowMemory

Decca and London classical lps were 'the same' just label(l)ed different that's all and even the London cassettes were duplicated in the UK. I recognized the Mahler's 4th in the note as I owned that one at the time.

vanhooserd likes this.
  19. coopmv

Now playing CD1 from the following box from my Handel collection for a second listen after I purchased the recording thirty some years ago. The liner notes say it is neither an oratorio nor an opera but it was a recording made by John Eliot Gardiner very early in his career ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze and ShallowMemory like this.
  20. coopmv

:edthumbs:

21. bluemooze

Now listening to Symphony No. 9 performed by The Academy Of Ancient Music led by Christopher Hogwood from the "Beethoven - Symphonies 1-9" box set on L'Oiseau-Lyre.

[​IMG]

andolink, Mowgli and Eigenvector like this.
  22. coopmv

Here is an interesting wikipage on LP ...

LP record - Wikipedia

peter1 and bluemooze like this.
  23. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

Hahahs....for Siberia that would be a perfectly balmy, pleasant day....
    It's complete a mystery to me that people who live in Oymyakon or Yakutsk can endure continuous temperatures of - 45 C or colder for months.

Mowgli likes this.
  24. coopmv

Now playing CD2 from the following box from my Handel collection for a second listen. The singing so far has been great ...

[​IMG]

25. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

I think it's very nice you had company and had the pleasure to entertain family and friends. I am a total Xmas scrooge and this year particularly bad. We moved last summer and I threw away the old Christmas tree. We are not allowed to have natural trees in the building. I did not bother to acquire a replacement and probably until my oldest daughter and grandson move to Calgary - I won't bother.
    As for New Year's Eve....couldn't be bothered with any of that either. Went with my daughter and her boyfriend to the late show at a close by movie theater to watch Star Wars. My husband preferred to stay home and listen to music with a potential new pre-amp by a French brand Atoll. The audio guys gave it to him as a loan so he can see if he likes it with the rest of his gear.

But anyway....I do wish you and everyone on this thread a very healthy, happy and prosperous New Year 2018! :wave::wave::wave:

vanhooserd, bluemooze, Mowgli and 4 others like this.