Rush - Hold Your Fire

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thatguy1976, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Huntigula

Huntigula Idiot Savant

Love this album. I'm a sucker for the mid-80's Rush. This is also the last album of theirs that I can enjoy start to finish. It's probably for the best that they went back in the power trio direction after this.

For me, this signifies the end of an era for Rush. I'm a completist, so while I have the whole catalog, HYF is probably the last album of theirs I find myself reaching for more often than not. There's just something about the GUP-PW-HYF trifecta that I love.

Bananas&blow, Angel66, Dave and 2 others like this.
  2. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Hmmm, I don't remember that at all. I'll have to go back and look for that.

That is arguably the peak of Peart's lyric writing, and the songs, despite not being as overtly proggy as stuff they did in the 70s and very early 80s, are pretty adventurous. Mission is one of their best songs, not only because the melodies are glorious, but because the arrangement is brilliant.

Purple, 51IS and DiabloG like this.
  3. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

No he doesn't.

4. Audioresearch

Audioresearch Forum Resident

Power Windows And hold Your Fire are My favourites.

Tom Hakala and DiabloG like this.
  5. Of all the post 1982 Rush albums this is probably my favourite. Snakes and Arrows is the only other candidate. It sounds very 80s but not really dated, the songwriting is very strong. "Force Ten", "Time Stand Still", "Mission", "Lock and Key", "Turn The Page", all very good.

Bananas&blow and Instant Dharma like this.
  6. DannyC

DannyC Forum Resident

Quite Like it - I still thinks its the best of Pearts direct style of writing and Geddys melodic sense put together.. From this point on they either became 4 minute pop songs (with the exception of Prestos Available Light - or then drifted into poetic nonsense with the more recent stuff.

It doesnt sound great - a step down from PW but at least its not as awful as some that followed.

Never did quite get Force Ten if Im honest and Im still tempted to start from track 2 to this day- But the layering of synths and some lovely guitar embellishments still make it a fave (Its probably the best they got when it came to thoughtful arrangements) If it has one fault I would say its the point at which Rush started putting to many songs on an Album that were just fillers.

Instant Dharma and Matt S like this.
  7. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I hesitate to link to this because of the way it tends to influence opinions, but here's a comment about both Geddy's and Alex's opinions of "Tai Shan": Alex Lifeson: The Worst Songs Rush Ever Released, I Don't Know What We Were Thinking

That has a link to the interview with Alex. I'll give the link here though, too: Interview: Alex Lifeson on God, police brutality and 'disco biscuits'

I don't think that we should put any extra weight on artists' opinions of their own work. It's just another opinion. And I don't agree with Geddy and Alex on "Tai Shan". But obviously they're not fond of it.

8. enro99

enro99 Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up.

How did does the watermark sound when it turns up? Or does it affect the entire album?

9. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

Would anyone know the best sounding CD version of Hold Your Fire? I held off picking up the Sector 3 boxed set because I heard mixed things about the audio quality and that it might also contain an alternate mix of the album, but I never bought the 1997 remaster either, because my 1997 Power Windows CD sounds very bright and thin.

Is there a good sounding HYF on CD that has bass?

deredordica likes this.
  10. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

No.
    Unless the 97 was tweaked.
    I need to give the Sector a re-listen FC, it's been a few years.

11. Futurecity

Was your No an answer that there is no good sounding HYF that has bass?

Glad you have the Sector 3 version, yes, please re-listen soon and let me know if it has a modern upfront sound with compression?

Do you have the ‘97 version too?

12. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Forum Curmudgeon

Finding a good sounding copy of this album seems tricky. The original LP was poor, if memory serves. Too much music crammed onto ultra-thin, mostly recycled vinyl (typical of the time). The remastered CDs are loud, brittle, and generally awful. The original CD was somewhat dull but serviceable. I have the Japanese SHM because it was highly recommended by some, though it sounds a lot like the original CD to me.

DiabloG and c-eling like this.
  13. Futurecity

Hmm, so do you favor the original, SHM or Sector 3 version and have you heard how the ‘97 sounds?

14. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I like the original CD's mastering. Not dull per se, certainly more relaxed; the bass is perhaps a little shy but it's definitely there. This is the version I have Rush - Hold Your Fire

According to this comparison all pre-remaster CDs apparently share the same mastering, as does the SHM version

Dave, Futurecity and c-eling like this.
  15. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

This was the Rush album to clock in at more than 50 minutes and as such was the first one to accommodate the CD format which was becoming established in 1987.

Have to admit though that this is the first album I listened to primarily on CD though I bought the vinyl at the same time.

c-eling likes this.
  16. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Forum Curmudgeon

It's been too long since I owned the original to compare, but according to the previous post the SHM has the same master (as I suspected). I don't like the sound of the '97 at all. The Sector is interesting, not so much for the different mix (which I only notice on "Mission"), but for the very different EQ. It has some more bass, but it was pulled out in a way that makes it sound bloated. On the whole, I'll stick with my very 80's sounding SHM.

Futurecity and c-eling like this.
  17. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I freaking LOVE Alex Lifeson. The funniest man in Rock.

18. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Exactly.
    Just because members of the band don't like something doesn't mean a fan can't. And of course I think the opposite holds true. But I do think those opinions should be noted and are valuable.

Geddy and Alex have said that they thought Tai Shan may have been a mistake and Neil has said that Hold Your Fire represented a step too far. (Kind of like their view of Hemispheres in that regard.)

19. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

The original CD pressing has always sounded the best to me. I always thought Hold Your Fire was the worst studio album of the '97 remasters.

Dave likes this.
  20. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I happen to agree with them in both regards... glad to own good-sounding original Anthem CDs of both those, but I don't care about either LP enough to chase down the greatest possible vinyl version or anything like that

"Tai Shan" is not necessarily a TERRIBLE song, but it does make me cringe in the same way that parts of Caress of Steel do (and not just the one Alex points out in that interview, either)

21. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I don't have the 97. The modern compression on the Sector box I found un-favorable, but as you know I'm pretty sensitive to it.
    I'll check it later EQ wise.

Futurecity likes this.
  22. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I still own the first cd I ever bought.

Hold Your Fire. Still sounds good after 30 years.

ytserush and Dave like this.
  23. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Mine was Grace. Horrible sound. I like the Sectors. Btjm ymmv.

24. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Forum Curmudgeon

It wasn't my first CD, but it might have been the first CD I ever owned where the silver went all the way to the center hole.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    bataclan2002 likes this.
  25. 905

905 Senior Member

Grace Under Pressure is my favorite Rush album but Hold Your Fire is probably in the top three. I'm an 80s Rush fan, needless to say.

chalkpie, Dave and Terrapin Station like this.