What does Steve Hoffman think of the new Beatles Sgt. Pepper remix?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by NGeorge, May 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Designed for young people with Bluetooth speakers. LOUD.
    Subtle as a flying mallot.

Joy-of-radio likes this.
  2. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

"So why is this mix so derided on here?"....are you serious?

As for respect, it's just people expressing their opinion. The opinion is that the remix is aimed at the youth market.

What do you want? All reviewers of art, books, music, theatre, film, etc to confine their critiques to beginners because all other practioners are "deserving of respect" and thus beyond criticism?

No one is saying the team who put this remix together are not competent - well I don't think they are - but rather that they made bad choices.

ParloFax and rnranimal like this.
  3. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

The remix is great. What’s not to like? This is what I like about it:

1. Centered drums
    2. Vocals more up front and centered
    3. You can hear each instrument clearly
    4. Little to no panning
    5. Drums nice and loud. You can hear Ringo’s playing more clearly.
    6. The Beatles sound like a rock band and not a pop band.
    7. Sounds modern. This will sound fresh for many years.

milco likes this.
  4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

that's great... he must be doing well in managing his earnings...you should be proud.

aroney likes this.
  5. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Modern? The oldest bridge over the River Seine in Paris is called the Pont Neuf (the New Bridge). "Modern" is a very ephemeral thing.

This album was recorded in 1966/67, not 2017.

BDC, formu_la, Onder and 3 others like this.
  6. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Serious question: How old are you?

DRM and The Beave like this.
  7. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

I still have my 1987 CD of Sgt Pepper but I was curious and checked the availability of it on Discogs, I saw one in "Mint" condition for $7.99 plus $3.99 shipping.
    What the heck, I ordered it.

50 years down and 50 years to go until the 2067 100 Year Anniversary

sound chaser likes this.
  8. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Awesome!
    Thank You for taking the RANT hat from me, I feel much more calm now.......
    I love the remix, especially on the picture disc edition.........Audio heaven.
    Beave

Grant likes this.
  9. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

What’s different sonically about the picture disc?

10. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

I don't need expensive audio-analyzing equipment, neither do I need the advice of a sound engineer to tell me what I should be listening to ~ I have two ears and a brain that work just fine for telling me what sounds good !

Nothing wrong with asking or checking around before spending money on a music purchase; just remember it's like asking someone where there is a good restaurant to eat at.

Grant likes this.
  11. Somone on the street, or someone you know?

Crimson Witch likes this.
  12. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

makes no difference; either way
    :)

13. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

bherbert said:
    I prefer the 2017 remix but that has more to do with the fact that it’s much heavier than the original stereo. The original stereo mix has a more relaxed vibe. More spacious and the music really breathes. Especially the 87 cd. I think it depends on what styles you prefer:
    Pop Beatles or Rock Beatles.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'll take the psychedelic/groundbreaking/iconic/alive/dynamic sound of the original Sgt. Pepper's.

The 1967 original Sgt. Pepper's that definitely rocked more than Revolver.

And was plenty powerful...in its own way.

Without, unlike the remix, having to resort to using loudness like a blunt instrument.

To prove it rocks.

And, in the case of the remix, to mask a lack of art, intelligence, and finesse.

The original was WAY more than just pop, at least to informed hearts and minds. And to ears that were open to hearing...

And soon came the White Album.

Which rocks plenty.

But doesn't stop there...

You may have to turn up the volume of the original Sgt. Pepper's some.

To hear it really rock, in so many places.

But yet, even when the original Sgt. Pepper's volume is turned up loud, it still maintains the crucial variable dynamics.

The best of both worlds.

The original didn't sacrifice one (dynamics) to overemphasize the other (rock).

Unlike the remix's dependence on "rocking" the listener via compressed loudness.

The original also doesn't sacrifice the psychedelic, unlike the remix.

BDC, sound chaser and Joy-of-radio like this.
  14. I would sure trust my wife's palate, or my best friend's, for certain types of food.

15. ParanoidAndroid

ParanoidAndroid Forum Resident

Serious question: why does it matter??

16. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Does his opinion matter less to you if he was 21 versus 61?

Might want keep in mind that many of our own opinions on music were probably fleshed out in our teen years. Or should we distrust those as well and, if so, at what age does an opinion on musical taste actually have any weight in a discussion?

17. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

It does make a difference, surely.

18. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Serious question: Why does it matter why it matters?

Inquiring minds, you know...

Trying to understand why someone views things in a certain way.

Why someone views the original Sgt. Pepper's as pop music.

[​IMG]
    Just trying to put the pieces together.

In the scheme of things, maybe it doesn't matter.

But age/generational sensibilities/experience...sometimes can be a factor...

Continually discounting the original Sgt. Pepper's as "pop music"...may make certain others wonder about age...whether someone is directly and personally aware of what was taking place in the Sixties and how Sgt. Pepper's in 1967 was so much more than "pop" music.

Calling the original Sgt. Pepper's "pop music", to some people, let's face it...is somewhat of a putdown.

There's nothing resembling pop music in A Day In The Life.

Or Within You Without You.

When Sgt. Pepper's came out, Rock music was viewed as Art...for the first time.

So...there's a questioning of seasoning...maturity...one's age...one's experience.

It's not a putdown...necessarily.

Which is more of a putdown: "Seriously, how old are you?"

Or continually stating that the original Sgt. Pepper's is a pop album?

Well, I guess it depends on which generation you come from.

To some extent...at least.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    boggs likes this.
  19. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Who? The ones who "bleat"?

20. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Because younger listeners are generally more accustomed to compressed sound quality on modern recording and are thus better able to accept it, while older listeners are often more demanding when it comes to expecting greater dynamic range.
    As you say, respect is earned. People on this board generally like Steve's work and thus appreciate his perspective on these questions. On the other hand, a lot of people here (though certainly not everyone) do not like Giles Martin's work and thus are more likely to be skeptical of his pronouncements. Why should one automatically be respectful towards him if they do not enjoy the results?

21. Quatermass

Quatermass Member

Of course, veryone is very much entitled to that opinion but when that opinion is the expressed in such a way as to be insulting, that then IMO is overstepping the mark. To say this release is solely for a younger generation " kiddies " and not for true audiophiles, is equally deriding and insulting, and gives an air of self-superiority which looks to be in all intense purposes is very insulting to those involved in this release.

This pack mentality (to the point where professional in the business were either hounded off or removed or refuse to post ) on here is well documented on the WWW and is easily found with a quick search.

AFCBRINGWOOD and violetvinyl like this.
  22. alexpop

Crushed with the release.

bobcat likes this.
  23. Tristero

I believe that Martin himself has said that he was aiming to make Pepper more modern sounding and appealing to a younger audience, didn't he? If this was the intent, how is it insulting to reiterate this?

Joy-of-radio, MoonPool and bobcat like this.
  24. Tristero

Why do I get the feeling that we're dealing with the newest incarnation "Sgt Pepper" here? It wouldn't be the first time he tried to play sock puppet.

25. alexpop

Seems to be case of young/old members here preferring the 2017 over the 1967 mix and some older members who prefer the George Martin/ Geoff Emerick original version, original concept..Beatles were present ( at least for the mono) at the mix.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.