Jimi Hendrix Both Sides of the Sky - new album coming March 9, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fsutall, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

Still solo and great, though! :D

Purple Jim and Pete Puma like this.
  2. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

oops sorry.

3. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Yes, but well worth having.

Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. I made the same mistake answering the same question in a different thread. It's not that hard to do, as it was s just Jimi strumming his electric guitar like others would an acoustic.

Matthew Tate and 905 like this.
  5. Picture Snatcher

Picture Snatcher Forum Residents

I'm with you on Kramer, but I kind of doubt it's Janie's idea to frankenstein the tracks. I really cant picture her being cognizant enough of the Valley's of Neptune takes to suggest it

6. Janie is credited as one of the producers of VON. Why wouldn't she be party to conversations concerning production decisions and track selections? She doesn't strike me as a hands-off personality type or an idiot.

7. veon

veon Forum Resident

Has anyone heard if there are going to be Target exclusive tracks for their release, as the last two archival releases?

Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. Picture Snatcher

Producer's input can vary. You really think Janie was like hey, you know that Valley's of Neptune's take lol. That is not her job at all. There is no way that was her idea and I just cant picture her listening to the raw takes in the vault. Just look at how many Hendrix fans havent heard Linda before. Janie isn't the one digging through the vault But whoevers idea it was...I have a BIG PROBLEM with him and Kramer.....

DTK and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. I never said she was digging through the vault, but you really think she was unaware of how VON was created? It was the single from the album ffs. Why do you think she is so far out of the process that decides what gets released?

DTK and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

My guess is no one person makes a decision on what studio leftovers get released or cut and pasted together. My guess is Janie, McDermott, and Kramer probably discuss what is there and what can be done with what. Janie probably doesn't have a lot of say, but I am sure she is involved in it to some degree. As to the cut and paste jobs, it's better than completely erasing takes and replacing them with players that had nothing to do with Jimi. How anyone can even compare that is beyond me. And you know, ever since there have been razor blades and splicing blocks, cut and pasting performances has been going on. It's not like this is something new. You might not like the results and that's fine, but some of vitriol in here is just frankly ridiculous.

11. Picture Snatcher

Yea I mean I think Janie is just way up on the chain, she probably gets handed a finished product and approves it

12. Very well said. Much better than my cranky party-impacted brain could construct last night.:winkgrin:

The Beave likes this.
  13. Maybe, but She,via Experience Hendrix, bankrolls all of Eddie's time and effort in editing these songs together so I would be surprised if she is not involved in deciding what's worth investing in before approving the effort spent. I could be wrong, but at least I'm not dismissing the possibility out of hand like other folks here apparently because she is a woman and not a musician or audio engineer.

fredhammersmith likes this.
  14. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Always looking forward to a Hendrix release. There are some on here that will be new to me as I have never heard them so I preordered the vinyl from Amazon. Kinda wish it had "Message To Love" on it (I prefer the Crash Landing version to the South Saturn Delta version but probably since i have known that version since I was a kid. Crash Landing, for all the hate it gets, was the first Hendrix album I was exposed to at the age of 5 when my then teenage brother bought it and played it for me).

15. Picture Snatcher

How many people or employees are part of Experience Hendrix?

16. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

Of course she is. I mean, I don’t know her but she is obviously taking care of business and she can have my money.
    To those who seem to think she is just clueless and hungry for cash: have u ever seat with Sony executives? She must be VERY good, because Music is not a nice business.

Sharp 1080, The Beave and Pete Puma like this.
  17. 905

905 Senior Member

What I don't understand is why some of the tracks off of Dagger releases Burning Desire and Hear My Music weren't saved for a mainstream "new Jimi Hendrix album." Some of the it was even better than People, Hell and Angles I thought.
    I can understand a lot of the live shows due to sound quality, Morning Symphony Ideas , the Gypsys rehearsal all being Dagger. But Burning Desire and Hear My Music?

18. multi.flacs.project

multi.flacs.project Forum Resident

I just can't get over the fact that we still haven't gotten the full-band version of "Midnight Lightning" without the Alan Douglas overdubs and editing. Sure, "Linda" is nice, and I'm actually looking forward to the version with vocals, but the backing track of "Midnight Lightning" is simply my holy grail of things they should release!

19. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

The versions of "Message To Love" that you are looking for (which Douglas built on for Crash Landing) are in the purple box set and West Coast Seattle Boy. The one on SSD was a looser Gypsy Sun & Rainbows take.
    It's a stupid shame that the best versions of the song are deep inside box sets and not part on regular album release. Instead, they prefer to Frankenstein songs together and throw in anything that they can find.

20. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Thanks, I think the Purple Box is on Spotify, I will look for that version.

Purple Jim and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. Picture Snatcher

Does anyone think the Purple Box reissue price will go down? I paid like 65 dollars shipped for a sealed copy of WCSB vinyl box set last year. It was barely in stock anywhere althought Best Buy still had a copy for sale on for 70

22. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

You'll have to call Experience Hendrix to get the scoop, via long distance on the public saxophone ;)

Hep Alien and Timothy Fiacco like this.
  23. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I think it is a pretty big omission as well, but do wonder if the omission of this song is due to its incomplete nature. Perhaps EH is content with the solo version on SSD.

Hep Alien likes this.
  24. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Probably because a lot of that material is extended and expansive jams. None of the mainstream, single disc compilations have really gone that route -- the music is typically comprised of structured songs with vocals or shorter instrumentals.

Sharp 1080, DTK, Purple Jim and 2 others like this.
  25. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Put me down as looking forward to it...with reservations. I make the one Frankensteining exception with Valleys of Neptune, since it wasn't done and it gave us an idea of what it would've sound like. They should have put out the full 1969 version on WCSB however. I can't see them doing it with Linda because the BOG jam and the solo Jimi version are just to0 different. Mostly looking forward to Power of Soul in digital and a nice clean Cherokee Mist.

Matthew Tate, DTK and Hep Alien like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.