Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

:righton:

2. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

Well thank you for the compliment! I feel extremely lucky to have built this new - old- collection from scratch and for next to nothing. Like winning the lottery in a way.
    If you want to read about it, on my profile I wrote a little bit about how it came to be and posted a couple photos as well!
    Happy New Year! :wave:

McLover likes this.
  3. Chriss Ons

Chriss Ons Forum Resident

Karl-Birger Blomdahl: Symphony No.3 "Facetter"
    Hilding Rosenberg: Symphony No.6 "Sinfonia Semplice"

Stockholm Philharmonic, cond. Sixten Ehrling / Stig Westerberg
    UK 1970 issue - Turnabout, TV 34318S

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Eramire156, crispi and 4 others like this.
  4. DeepFloyd11

It's all good. I was in a movie theater with 8 other eccentric persons watching Star Wars and munching on pop-corn, sending my husband a text message at 12:00.

bluemooze likes this.
  5. Kundera the joke.

Kundera the joke. Senior Member

Bach - Easter Oratorio.
    (UK 1965)

[​IMG]

Stunningly beautiful.

A pristine copy. Whoever has had this over the years since 1965 either never played it or took great care with it.

:magoo:It looks like a Deutche Grammophon release but the label is actually The World Record Club.

A very nice and loud pressing. A handy tool on the back cover.:tiphat:

[​IMG]

6. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Starting the new year with Richter!

[​IMG]

bigstar87, bluemooze, Mowgli and 4 others like this.
  7. DeepFloyd11

First LP of 2018. Per my husband's request ( Brendel is his fave pianist).

On the TT....this wonderful sounding and beautiful performance with an orchestra that shines under the masterful Haitink. And Philips....well that's a league of their own.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    bluemooze, J.A.W., crispi and 2 others like this.
  8. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

There are recordings of both pieces on Spotify; worth seeking out? What sort of style?

9. coopmv

Semi-evil twin :evil:

Now playing the following LP from my JS Bach collection, the first time in a while ...

[​IMG]

I also have the following CD compilation. Brendel was also one of my earlier favorite pianists along with Tamas Vasary ...

[​IMG]

bigstar87, bluemooze and Bachtoven like this.
  10. coopmv

You have already fast forwarded to Easter and we were only done with Christmas a few days ago ...

11. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

[/QUOTE]
    You guys inspired me to pull out my London LP copy of this, which I've not played in many years.
    I had forgotten how much applause was left in the recording -- trying to recreate the "you are there" effect as much as possible. A decent amount of warmth, though, for an early digital recording.

[​IMG]

12. DeepFloyd11

On the TT ...this still quite cold (but far better at - 14 C + 6 F ) January 1st - there is not a cloud in the sky - absolutely spectacular.

Time for more Beethoven.

[​IMG]

bigstar87, bluemooze, J.A.W. and 4 others like this.
  13. Mowgli

Mowgli Runs with scissors

Was playing Sibelius/Heifetz - from a 1742 Guarnari in 1935 through my 2017 Beyerdynamic 880's
    Now Tchaikovsky/Arrau/Davis/BSO PC1 through the Klipsch

[​IMG]

14. coopmv

Now playing the following LP from my Tchaikovsky/Strauss collection. While I have the same recording on CD, I simply did not remember I have this LP ...

[​IMG]

Romeo and Juliet and Don Juan are indeed in the following box I bought a while back, though they are each paired with other works ...

[​IMG]

15. Wolfspaw

Wolfspaw Forum Resident

Enjoy!!

I like the 74 degree weather here today and last winter California had so much rain it almost busted a dam. This winter has been bad for rain for San Francisco and regions south but Northern California and the Sierras are where most of our rain is collected. So we will see.

p.s.

I should add that the cold doesn't bother me, but I have never had to deal with snow..... and from what I have heard, It's a pain in the rear.

16. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Everyone deals with the Christmas season in their own way. In my case, I started having Christmas parties 29 years ago and have just continued out of a sense of tradition and, to an extent, obligation. My 94-year-old house is large enough to accommodate gatherings and I light the fireplace, decorate all the downstairs rooms, set out food, and make drinks—both hot & cold—available all day Christmas. Friends enjoy the setting and drop by to spend time with each other. I put Christmas music in the CD player on “Repeat All” mode, changing the CD when I get tired of hearing the same one. (Yes, I know, there are better ways to do this.)

Doing this for three decades, I’ve seen a lot of changes as some friends have moved, new ones are added, and some have come every Christmas. Of the latter, there two in particular who amaze me: One is a 99-year-old gentleman in frail health, but he came over this year as always and spent several hours. Another is a woman my age who now has pancreatic cancer, but she looked forward to coming over and seeing friends—arriving early and staying late. I know my annual gathering is all the Christmas they would have. I grumble every December about the prep work involved; but at the end of the party after the last person has left, I feel satisfied that it was all worth it… again.

House cleaned up and decorations packed away, I’m once again enjoying my LP and CD collection and seeing what others here are playing. Looking forward to another great year of listening to, and sharing, classical music.

Cheers! :cheers:

alankin1, peter1, lwh1 and 8 others like this.
  17. coopmv

:righton:

18. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

[​IMG]

A fine recording of somewhat neglected violin concertos--the Weinberg more so. Fantastic playing and sound on the SACD tracks.

19. coopmv

Now playing this long forgotten LP from my early music collection ...

[​IMG]

Wes H and bluemooze like this.
  20. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

CD 8 with piano concertos 26 and 27. There was some discussion earlier in the thread about the short comings of the Camerata Academica Salzburger Mozarteums, I simply don't hear it on these recordings :hide:

[​IMG]

bigstar87, Wes H, bluemooze and 4 others like this.
  21. coopmv

Quite a number of us here have this box. I think this is the best Mozart Piano Concertos box, HIP or not ...

ShallowMemory likes this.
  22. DeepFloyd11

You're a good man @Wes H ! Very commendable and a great tradition. In general my life has not been about traditions. No religious upbringing either, so Christmas was not important. When I married, my ex was Catholic (but not following all the precepts or anything). My children were baptized mostly so my mother-in-law wouldn't be upset - but after that no religious instruction at all. And from how Christmas is celebrated these days and all the materialism that surrounds it in North America, I don't think it has anything to do with Jesus and his credo anymore....
    I am sure Jesus would have been very pleased to see the effort you put in your Christmas event and helping some persons get through difficult times and forget about their sorrows - if only for a while. :edthumbs:

23. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Two new Classical LP discs for my collection scored yesterday. 1. The complete harpsichord works of Elisabeth Jacquet De La Guerre and Louis-Nicolas Clerambault. played by Thurston Dart on L'Oiseau-Lyre in mono. 2. George Frederick Handel: Water Music played by The Hauge Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Pierre Boulez on Nonesuch (and Sterling mastered by Bob Ludwig). Both superb. Paid $ 1.89 near mint. Thrift Store score!

ShallowMemory, Wes H and bluemooze like this.
  24. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Amazing. :righton:

25. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

:edthumbs: