Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Raoul97202

Raoul97202 Forum Resident

Agreed. Not a bad note on this album. And I love hearing the alternate takes.

2. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

Found this one some years ago when I was searching for outputs from Mwandishi members.
    Let me tell you that I was very surprised with myself for enjoying a "trombone" album. It's still a very pleasant listen. It ... swings.

Julien Priester - Keep Swingin' , 1960
    [​IMG]

3. ATR

ATR Senior Member

I may be getting the chronology wrong but my understanding is that Miles had severe hip pain and was strung out on narcotic painkillers. In addition, the structure of his live sets according to this and other live albums of the period was a long up tempo segment followed by a slow atmospheric segment which was a variation on the theme of Ife.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  4. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Question for the Jazz experts here,would you classify[Dreamy-Sarah Vaughan]as Jazz or Pop?

5. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Nick Mazzarella / Tomeka Reid Signalling (Nessa Records)
    — Nick Mazzarella (alto saxophone) & Tomeka Reid (cello)

[​IMG]

6. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

You are correct ATR. There were more concerts with that track, and that was certainly not the last time Miles played. That was just my "romantic" interpretation.
    When I got into electric miles all those albums were already available. So in my mind that is the last one of the Miles that I really love (sorry fans of the 80s period).

7. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Lucky Thompson Quartet – Lucky Strikes (Prestige Records / OJC)
    — Lucky Thompson (soprano & tenor sax), Hank Jones (piano), Richard Davis (bass), Connie Kay (drums)

[​IMG]

8. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Greg Lewis "Organ Monk"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bluemooze and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  9. Lonson

Sarah Vaughan was definitely a jazz singer. And had a few pop hits. . . . But the woman was JAZZ. :)

Stu02 and Sneaky Pete like this.
  10. [​IMG]

Kurt Rosenwinkel - Caipi (2017)

Uplifting sounds for the New Year. They had this playing in the store yesterday as I was browsing the vinyl, some of the vocals sounded like my hero Robert Wyatt so I picked it up. Not bad, but Kurt's voice leaves something to be desired, too much singing and not enough guitar. No Robert Wyatt, and Eric Clapton guests on one track. Oh,well.

As far as New Year bargains go, I picked up Japanese pressings of Max's Drums Unlimited and Carmell Jones/Harold Land The Remarkable Carmell Jones.

bluemooze and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  11. I haven't heard much Monk played on the organ other than the Jimmy Smith tracks and Larry Young on Unity. Looks interesting. Are some of those track mis-spellings deliberate? Someone has a mischievous sense of humour..

12. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Since it’s 10 degrees out I decided to warm up with Paul Desmond From the Hot Afternoon.

A typical CTI recording with strings and Sebesky arrangements but a sonic delight with beautiful playing by Desmond and excellent song selections.

I’ve had a love/hate relationship with those 1970’s Creed Taylor produced jazz albums since they were first released. Lately I’m digging them again.
    :)

Stu02, bluemooze, Morbius and 2 others like this.
  13. Lonson

My guess is yes on the misspelling. It's an interesting album. . . I wouldn't classify it as essential but fun. The drummer's sound bugs me a little . .. his kit sounds more like a progressive rock kit than a jazz kit to me but then I'm a former drummer who allows myself little peeves like this . . . and I have declined to throw a fit. :)

14. Lonson

Ben Shur and Tudo Bem featuring Kenny Barron "Please Take me to Brazil"

[​IMG]

bluemooze and Sneaky Pete like this.

15. I'm with you about 'rock' drumming. I get irritated with a rock/prog sound that overwhelms the other players. But it's a New Year so I'll follow suit and think positive thoughts. Plus the sun is shining and Mt Fuji looks majestic with it's snow cap and I have 3 more days off. :)

16. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

John Swana Quartet – On Target (Criss Cross)
    — John Swana (trumpet), Jesse Van Ruller (guitar), John Patitucci (bass), Eric Harland (drums)

[​IMG]

Lonson likes this.
  17. Lonson

Yes, more and more I realize how important it is to have and maintain a positive outlook. I'm tired of shoveling and of sub-freezing temperatures, but I gazed out my living room window this afternoon at the state nature preserve directly in front of our house and the trees beautifully clothed in fluffy soft snow and saw a barn owl soar by and thought "How blessed I am to live with this beauty around me!"

About twenty years ago I seemed surrounded by negativity in my work world and battling my wife's paranoia in my personal world and resolved to not embrace the negativity that seemed poised to drown me. It was not easy but the last two decades have been a period of conquering the power that negativity can have over me and sustaining a positive mindset to dwell within. And thank goodness!

18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I was with two friends once when one complained to the other that our activity was monotonous. The other raised his finger, smiled, and said, "Ah, but the beauty of the monotony!"

Stu02, alankin1 and Electric like this.
  19. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I had a great ride earlier today down to Philly to return an HDMI cable that I had bought, but didn’t end up needing, with my first listens of the new year:

Miles Davis - Miles in the Sky (MFSL SACD)

[​IMG]

Horace Silver - Blowin’ the Blues Away (SHM-CD)

[​IMG]

20. peter1

peter1 Now things are looking up!

This probably has been mentioned here many times before but I’ve not seen it, so I want to mention the film Bill Evans made with his brother Howard. Here’s the link:
    I feel I know and appreciate Bill Evans much better after watching this film.

21. Joe F

Joe F Senior Member

Hello,

Joined as a member long ago but then slowly drifted out of audio. Getting back into to it recently. This thread and the classical thread has reignited my interest. Today's listening.
    [​IMG]

22. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers - Ritual (Pacific Jazz) mono, silver on red label.
    This version included Jackie McLean, Bill Hardiman, Sam Dockery, Spanky DeBest and Art of course, from 1957. It's odd that I don't see the label at a website I use sometimes to date albums. This is the first time I stumped it. It's either a first or second pressingthat I'm confident of, just curious to nail it down a bit more.

bluemooze and vanhooserd like this.
  23. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Hey, it's also 10 degrees here. Or was...now it's 9. I'm drinking eggnog with Presidente brandy & things are a little fuzzy.

bluemooze likes this.
  24. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Anthony Braxton - Seven Standards 1985 Vol.1 (Magenta)
    With Hank Jones, Rufus Reid and Lewis Nash.

Starwanderer and bluemooze like this.
  25. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I got hold of the 1-22-75 Tokyo soundboard- presumably this is from the same run of shows that gave us Agartha and Panagea. And indeed, the pace of the shows seemed to be uptempo piece-atmospheric piece-uptempo etc. Interesting that (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) some of these pieces were never recorded in the studio (i.e. there doesn't appear to be a studio "Moja" aka "Turnaroundphrase"/"Tune In 5", mainstays of Miles' mid-70's shows)