Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing CD6 - Works by Orlande de Lassus from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze, andolink, McLover and 2 others like this.
  2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

A note, quite a few of my favorite recordings are on Erato.

3. coopmv

Did Pollini record all 5 Beethoven Piano Concertos with Bohm? I know there are some experts on Bohm and Pollini here ...

4. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

No, only 3-5. Böhm died before the cycle with Pollini could be finished. Eugen Jochum took over and recorded 1-2 with Pollini.

5. coopmv

Are you talking about the original Erato recordings? As you know, WarnerMusic bought a bunch of other labels such as EMI and Virgin Classics not that long ago and they have been stuffing some of those recordings into Erato, which I really hate. They should have just kept all the EMI/Virgin Classics under the WarnerClassics label ...

6. coopmv

Thanks, J.A.W.

It looks like Pollini recorded all 5 Beethoven Piano Concertos with Abbado ...

7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Yes, coopmv, the original Erato recordings. As a rule I love those old French classic recordings. I wish there would be EMI/Erato/Virgin/Telefunken classics and stick to the old logos and license them for reissues Co-Branded with Warner Icon. Have the old identity intact. And it's logical and makes sense.

8. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

He did.

9. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

That might have been London's first digital recording on LP... or the first released in the U.S. The same year (1978), the first digitally recorded LP that I bought was this Denon record shown below. Seems to be a Danish/Japanese production, though I cannot now recall where I bought it or what I paid... only that I hesitated at the time because the price was steep.
    Production notes list the recording venue as the Østervangskirken, Copenhagen, January 19, 22, 24, 25, 1976.

[​IMG]

For those interested in such ephemera, this is the insert that came with the album above:

[​IMG]

10. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Probably too pricey in their view, or maybe the owners of the EMI logo won't license it.

11. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Might be, but I'd love to see the trademark owner license the old brands for Classical reissues, to keep the history and provenance intact for the reissues. It co-branded gives us a link between what was and what is today.

12. coopmv

It is more like the WarnerMusic management is not as competent as the one at UniversalMusic ...

13. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Universal has labeled a lot of Philips as Decca

14. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Maybe, but acquiring EMI Classics (and those other labels) was a major scoop, whatever you may think of their reissue policy. And I think some of their reissues, such as the Cluytens box to name but one, are very worthwhile.

15. coopmv

That may have something to do with Philips not allowing the previous Philips recordings to be labeled as Philips in perpetuity ...

16. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Yep, Universal Music discontinued the Philips label after they had acquired it and they are reissuing Philips recordings on Decca.

17. coopmv

The anti-trust cop helped out WarnerMusic, particularly the American one IMHO ...

18. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I'm not so sure about that; they (Universal) are using the Philips logo for the original jackets of Philips albums in their mega boxes.

19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Yes, but anyone (Sony, for instance) could have bought those labels when the EU ordered Universal to sell part of what they had acquired, but Warner beat them to it.

20. coopmv

Isn't the big box containing all the Philips original jackets still labeled as Decca?

21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The box itself is, but the jackets have the Philips logo - at least the ones I've seen.

22. coopmv

This is totally logical. There is no getting away from using the name Philips on the individual original jacket Philips recordings since a change of ownership cannot change history. Not using the Philips name on the big box is entirely consistent ...

23. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

See the Jessye Norman jacket.

[​IMG]

Soulpope and SteelyTom like this.
  24. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The title of the big box does use the Philips name - see my previous post.

25. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

...and so does another Universal Philips box - but both were released by Decca:

[​IMG]