What's your favourite Duran Duran album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Desert Explorer, Jan 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skisdlimit

skisdlimit Forum Resident

This is the release I have from '94 I think, and it sounds fine to me (can't tell whether there might be any NR or not):

[​IMG]

Duran Duran - Duran Duran

To answer the OP's question, my fave pick would be Rio for reasons previously posted above, though their debut album is right there with it, especially when you take into account all those non-LP singles and B-sides from this period. I never really liked Seven and the Ragged Tiger even though I own it on CD, but would definitely recommend checking out the relatively underrated Arcadia spin-off release So Red the Rose. I would definitely like to see a better mastered Astronaut including the stray tracks from that era but am not holding my breath.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  2. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Punk

Debut, but The Chauffeur is my favourite track: I love Side Two of Rio.

Maffune, Desert Explorer and Neonbeam like this.
  3. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

I did some research on the best CD version of the debut a while back. From what I read the original 80's UK CD is the way to go. One that includes "To The Shore" which was removed in some later re-issues. The later releases either don't have the original track listing or have poor SQ. The remixed version from 2010 or so apparently is very poor SQ wise.

Maffune, c-eling and Desert Explorer like this.
  4. Uther

Uther Forum Resident

Been a fan forever, they are the band I've seen the greatest number of times in concert, and damn it, their most recent output (Red Carpet Massacre, All You Need Is Now, and Paper Gods) are my favorites. Sue me.

ARK, driverdrummer, Maffune and 4 others like this.
  5. Tree-bot

Tree-bot Senior Member

Me too! You’re not alone. My next two are All You Need Is Now, and Rio.

Desert Explorer likes this.
  6. Limopard

Limopard National Dex #143

Rio, followed by the s/t debut. For the rest of the works, cherry-picking is enough for me. „Seven...“ maybe worth buying for the album version of „The Reflex“.

7. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

I chose self titled, but I find myself playing Notorious more than any other this past year.

c-eling and Desert Explorer like this.
  8. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

Rio is my pick for obvious reasons. It's a masterpiece. But really Duran Duran is such a special band for me and I dig most their stuff especially throughout the 80s. The live version of the Chauffeur from Arena is the best thing they ever did.

9. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

Also I like that so many have Seven and the Ragged Tiger... such a great album and New Moon on Monday is my favorite studio cut they did.

10. Desert Explorer

Desert Explorer Music Enthusiast Thread Starter

Thank You is Notorious. Whoops..

11. Desert Explorer

The album version is the best.

12. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

Rio if only for save a prayer :)

ARK and Desert Explorer like this.
  13. Desert Explorer

It seems like Rio is the most loved album here. I only enjoy the last two songs so I couldn't possibly vote for that one. Surely, these songs are better than any other song in Astronaut but I need an album that is enjoyable from the start until it ends and it's well balanced.

Rio is truly unbalanced thus appearing too weak for me.

14. sentinel90125

sentinel90125 Forum Resident

So Red The Rose should be included in the poll. I would have picked that over Notorious.

15. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

For the 83 revision the US Capitol JAX is onehellofa great sounding disc :)

Maffune, Desert Explorer and AFOS like this.
  16. George McClellan

George McClellan Forum Resident

I voted for BIG THING. I love this album from beginning to end. It benefits from not being overplayed too much. The 2010 reissue of this album with Drug (It's Just a State of Mind) restored to it's original version is the one to get.

17. Nightfly68

Nightfly68 Forum Resident

Rio for me. Incredible album and to me "Lonely In Your Nightmare" is one of the best songs they've ever done.

18. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

Debut and Rio

I like Notorious too.

19. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

Didn't really start listening to them until "Rio" came out and then I didn't stop lol. I own a few vinyl copies of Rio and it remains my fav release of theirs to this day

20. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Are you talking vinyl? How to I recognise the correct "Drug"? :biglaugh:

21. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

Rio is to me the perfect pop record, so no surprise to me it's number one , The S/T is also popular and is quite interesting in that it straddles the line towards a pop /mainstream direction or a artier Ultravox/ Japan direction.

After that my tastes diverge from the fan base. I think their better works are Red Carpet Massacre, Pop Trash, Paper Gods, Medozzaland, and Big Thing.

22. Paul Rymer

Paul Rymer Forum Resident

The problem is that the UK CD with To The Shore is a nightmare to find as the packaging and CD discs have Is There Something... listed.

Maffune likes this.
  23. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

The debut is all New Romantic art rock - Japan were a massive influence. Listen to "Quiet Life" and "Planet Earth" back 2 back

Yes it's hard to find with "To The Shore". Version with "Is There Something I Should Know" is very common.

Maffune and Desert Explorer like this.
  24. friendofafriend

friendofafriend Forum Resident

Both the 2010 cd and vinyl contain the "original" mix of Drug on the main album, that was left off the original 1988 release. The 2010 cd set also includes the remixed version that was on the original album versions. I do prefer the version that was used for the 2010 album releases. I also still have my 1988 cassette that contains the remixed version, but that is the only 1988 version of the album I own. I really love all of side 2 of this album. Also, I've always wished they had made some extended remixes of "Do You Believe In Shame?" for that single release.

25. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

That's probably my favorite song by them.

Not probably. It is my favorite song by them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.