The Monkees "More of the Monkees" Rhino Handmade Deluxe Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Spaceman, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

Especially when the files can be had for free.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  2. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I kind of wish Nesmith had worked out some sort of solo for their live version of "Sweet Young Thing" rather than repeating the first verse before ending it with the final verse.

Hep Alien and MagneticNorthpaw like this.
  3. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

True. And like I said over in another thread, I was only 12 when the Headquarters Sessions came out so I’m pretty much screwed in terms of actually being able to get one and had been from day one.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  4. Grand_Ennui

I think they're hoping for someone like me (or a lot of other folks on this forum) who prefer physical product, but yeah, your point is valid.

5. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

No doubt, but even several years ago I couldn’t afford the actual box, so...:shrug:

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  6. Grand_Ennui

That's a really good price, I wouldn't have passed it up waiting to see if it'd go lower either...

7. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

I picked up a NM copy last year on Amazon for a third of that and I thought THAT price was crazy. I've kicked myself ever since for passing on this when it was first issued. Although I've now got a copy, I think a Deluxe Headquarters including all three sessions discs would be a good idea.

8. Grand_Ennui

I didn't even have access to the Internet when "The Headquarters Sessions" set was released, so I wasn't aware of it until a few years ago... Like you, I ended up buying it on the secondary market...

Galley and Lewisboogie like this.
  9. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

Or better yet, maybe Friday Music will rerelease it to coincide with the Headquarters Deluxe Edition release at Rhino.

JeffreyB likes this.
  10. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

I don't believe that Rhino will re-release the exact Headquarters Sessions. Friday Music has already released excerpts,and I would bet that is all they were allowed to do. The super deluxe set will be a different set, with some of the Sessions stuff, but not an exact duplicate.

npgchris, Hep Alien, readr and 5 others like this.
  11. Grand_Ennui

I would tend to agree with you on that: As alluded to a few pages back in this thread, when it comes to The Monkees, Rhino always seems to include something unique to their releases... I think there'll be something unique to the "Headquarters Sessions" set that wouldn't be included on a super deluxe edition of "Headquarters", but that would also mean a super deluxe edition would probably include some stuff exclusive to that set...

12. JDistheone

JDistheone Forum Resident

Recent ebay sales for HQ Sessions are $228 and $297 (sealed). Although it can be had from iTunes for $60, the hard copies have done well to hold their value. Amazon resellers are insane!

cwitt1980 likes this.
  13. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

For what it's worth, the short LP of Headquarters Sessions was a Rhino release, not Friday.

14. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Ok, thanks for the correction. Since I didn't buy it, I guess I didn't pay attention to who released it:(

Lewisboogie likes this.
  15. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Maybe this is discussed elsewhere, but what are some of the more obvious differences mix-wise from the stereo? It's not a fold-down, I assume...

16. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Off the top of my head, Steppin' Stone and Sometime In The Morning are significantly different. In addition, because the stereo mix is a mess, the mono mix is the preferred version for many. The remixes have fixed a number of the stereo mixes, but the original stereo mixes are for the most part, inferior to the mono mixes.

17. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

... and a couple on discogs for less than $300 (but not in the US). Buy The Monkees - Headquarters Sessions (CD) at Discogs Marketplace

Lewisboogie likes this.
  18. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Thanks for that. I'll give it more than a cursory quick listen next time!

Lewisboogie likes this.
  19. readr

readr Forum Resident

For sure. If Handmade does HQ Super Deluxe Box....which the “to be continued” alluded to, it will follow the same format as the last two boxes:
    1 - Mono/Stereo Album and mono TV tracks and single mixes
    2 - Sessions (Like the stuff like we got on HQ Sessions)
    3 - NY Sessions & Rarities
    ......or something very similiar to this formula.....my guess

20. KKW88

KKW88 Forum Resident

I also think it will be like the above. I also think that it's possible that a new remix of the full album will be included. I have the Arista remix of the album and think it's worthwhile and personally would prefer other material (e.g. unreleased live tracks) over remixes of songs that have already been remixed multiple times over the years. However, I have learned through this thread that quite a few people do indeed appreciate these new remixes, so there is a market for them. "The Day We Fall In Love" (2017 stereo remix), who'd have ever thought?

21. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

Still no delivery in the UK. :(

FJFP likes this.
  22. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

The physical CDs are long out of print, but you can buy the entire Headquarters Sessions on MP3 from Amazon.
    https://www.amazon.com/Headquarters-Sessions-Digital-Version-Monkees/dp/B00122PKQE

At about $57, it isn't exactly cheap, but the price isn't exorbitant for a 84-track download. (Individual tracks are $1.29 each if you want to salad bar it. The "All of Your Toys" tracking session is definitely worth the price of a soft drink.)

Hep Alien, Lewisboogie and FJFP like this.
  23. NUNZI

NUNZI Forum Resident

I wonder what the JC Penny "Monkees Clothing" collection is fetching these days?

24. JeffDB5

JeffDB5 Forum Resident

Ditto on iTunes:

Headquarters Sessions by The Monkees on Apple Music

Hep Alien likes this.
  25. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

"I'm A Believer" finally sounds great, though. I know a tape copy of this has eluded you for quite some time.

Hep Alien likes this.