James Franco's "The Disaster Artist" (based on the making of the infamously bad "The Room"): 12/1/17

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Jul 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

really? I didn't think so ...well opinions are opinions. : )

2. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

This sounds like your problem than James Franco’s since he’s actually a great actor, so...

You can’t stand him but you seemingly have no problem with Seth Rogen who is actually worthy of dislike. Your loss.

3. Hightops

Hightops Forum Resident

Franco nailed this! Great film. For me, most of the laughs came at the end during the screening. This is more of a bizarre character study than anything else. So what's the prevailing theory on why Tommy is Tommy? There's mention of a bad accident in his past. Accident leading to huge settlement? Might account for his budget and emotional tone.

enro99 likes this.
  4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What the episode he directed?

5. Bhob

Bhob Forum Resident

The whole series. If you haven't read the book, do.

enro99 likes this.
  6. alexpop

Been meaning to.

7. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Listen to the Disaster Artist audio book, it's a 12 hour listen and worth it.

DiabloG and alexpop like this.
  8. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

No one is mentioning that the new film is based on a book The Disaster Artist: My Life Inside The Room, the Greatest Bad Movie Ever Made - Greg Sestero, which I highly recommend.

I was on set for the filming of the interior scenes and the Canter's deli location shots. It took all my self control to keep from busting out laughing during takes.

9. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

You will be hard pressed to find somebody who has disliked Franco's work over the years more than yours truly -- I really can't stand his acting. That said, I think he did fantastic work here, so "credit where credit's due." :agree:

enro99 likes this.
  10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I run hot and cold with him. Sometimes, I think Franco does a pretty good job -- he was totally believable and sympathetic as the time-traveling high school teacher in 11/22/63, as one example -- but often he does crappy acting in awful movies. Disaster Artist was OK.

GodShifter and MLutthans like this.
  11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I think Franco can have a "too cool for school" attitude and he'll "act down" if he thinks a project is beneath him.

Kinda like the detached, aloof way he co-hosted the Oscars.

But when he invests, he's very good - he shoulda won the Oscar for "127 Hours"!

GodShifter likes this.
  12. alexpop

Shame he can't get offered good scripts. Very much pot luck.

13. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

Thanks for the info. I was wondering about this.

Look at the framing in this shot.

[​IMG]

I was thinking, the only way they could have let this happen would be if they had the shot centered better one of the 2 cameras and then ended up using video from the other (not as well centered) camera in the final edit. Then I started to wonder just how much of the movie is made up of video from which camera.

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Three things could have happened: 1) lack of care; 2) the actor missed their mark and was standing in the wrong place; 3) total incompetence. I think it's a Hanlon's Razor thing where the crew was just stupid.

15. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Saw it tonight at our local indieplex...I think that was the most laughter I've ever heard in one of their films in the 8+ years we've been going. The character was just too bizarre, the goings-on appeared in the same spirit of what went on in Michael Wolfe's recent book, and aside from a wrap-up in the climax which seemed a little too feel-good to me, it was just a better night out at the movies than I ever expected while staring at James Franco's face for 90 minutes. You've heard of performance art? Well this was clearly "performance storytelling".

Surely I'm not alone in noticing the hope of learning the three things you want to know most about the protagonist, is disappointingly vaporized in the titles at the end of the film...but I didn't hear anybody complaining.

My theory is, he's connected to "The Family", he's in hiding, and his mom holds the purse strings on his trust fund. What's your theory?

16. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

I've never cared. None of that is the point, and the truth is almost certainly not particularly interesting.

17. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

If Tommy Wiseau was in Star Wars...

This is some fantastic editing. :)

Miriam and enro99 like this.
  18. I read the book over Xmas, and after finishing I'm a bit surprised that Wiseau and Sestero are even on speaking terms, let alone friendly with each other. Sestero doesn't exactly pull his punches in describing Wiseau's myriad, shall we say, foibles. A good read for interested parties, in any event.

enro99 and LivingForever like this.
  19. alexpop

Franco still getting Oscar?

20. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

No. The bad publicity hit just before voting for the Oscars commenced.

21. alexpop

I thought he got the all clear.

22. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I was not aware of that. He appears to have gotten some statements of support from Sharon Osborne and Ashley Judd, and some (surprising to me) good press recently; and I see he's going to attend the SAG awards.

Even if he did get the "all clear" (and I'm not certain who exactly decides that, btw . Hollywood "ethics" are never straight forward or logical), I find it hard to believe that someone who has been accused of sexual harassment and assault will be awarded an Oscar in the year of "Me Too". I could always be totally wrong.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  23. alexpop

Still a possibility.
    Don't see any other contenders, cept Gary Oldman.

24. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

After the SAG awards last night, my guess is that Oldman is the favourite for the Oscars.

Didn't watch the telecast, myself. Did Franco even show up, and what as the response when his name was announced as one of the nominees?

25. alexpop

Forget, Daniel Day Lewis is also a favourite. His last film apparently.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.