Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

7/9 are among the top in the world, with possible caveats for the Paris and Israel orchestras. The BRSO was Kubelik's "home" orchestra and presumably his choice, and they were quite good, and the Cleveland and Boston orchestras were superior to the BPO, RCO, VPO and LSO in the early 70s.

As for why, presumably it was a marketing gimmick so that they set would stand out among a sea of competitors? Also raises the number of "hometown" purchasers of the set.

Wolfspaw and Byrdsmaniac like this.
  2. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

Max Reger: Cello Sonata No. 4 in A minor, Op. 116
    Alban Gerhardt, cello
    Markus Becker, piano

[​IMG]

3. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I very strongly disagree. In those years the CO (not yet Royal), BPO and VPO were way ahead of the two US orchestras you mentioned; that does not mean I didn't appreciate the two US orchestras, on the contrary, they were very good but just not as good as those three European orchestras - all in my opinion, of course, and judging by the various recordings from those days. I did attend quite a few CO concerts with Haitink and other conductors at their own hall, and they were magical experiences.

This may be a matter of opposite US/EU preferences :).

crispi likes this.
  4. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Interesting! I have one from the early 90's ... :righton:

5. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Teldec German Press 4509-97461-6) 1995 .... analytical and precisely accurate performances ..... very good sound too .... as good as the complementary CD which features String Quartets 1 + 3 (Teldec 4509-90889-2) released in 1994 ....

bluemooze and Wes H like this.
  6. coopmv

Really? I don't think any American orchestras were ever superior to all of the Big Four. Perhaps LSO was not quite as good back then as it is in recent years ...

J.A.W. likes this.
  7. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

From the modern point of view, these cover arts look quite neat. But I wonder if they looked a bit campy then?

crispi likes this.
  8. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The LSO was indeed not as good as the other three in those years.

9. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Those CDs of Ozawa, Grumiaux, etc make me uncomfortable.

10. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Now playing:
    Gustav Mahler – Symphony No.1 in D major "Titan"
    — Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra – Leonard Bernstein (Deutsche Grammophon)
    [​IMG]

11. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

What a great find, especially in mint condition after six decades! How many pages is it?

crispi likes this.
  12. coopmv

I like those TelDec recordings made before the WarnerMusic takeover. But then, has TelDec released any new recordings since the "takeunder"?

13. coopmv

The late Sir Colin lavished a lot of praises on Seiji Osawa on how much the latter had helped to improve the string section of the BSO. Colin Davis should know since he made many recordings with the BSO in the 70's ...

ShallowMemory likes this.
  14. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I'm of the opinion that the Cleveland and Boston orchestras in the early '70s were at least the equal of any in the world. I can't base this on actually hearing every orchestra live (who can?), but on the recordings I have from that period. The achievement of Szell with the Cleveland Orchestra (late '60s-70) and what I've heard of Boston in the early '70s (before Ozawa) is truly remarkable. I'm not taking away from anything done by the RCO, BPO, or VPO--all excellent--but I believe the two U.S. orchestras at that time could stand toe-to-toe with them. Some of this depends, of course, on who was on the podium at any particular time. ;)

ubertrout, Byrdsmaniac and bluemooze like this.
  15. coopmv

Strongly :agree:.
    I would never think the US will ever win the (soccer) World Cup, at least not in my lifetime ...

16. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Listening to CD30 from the complete Haydn Symphonies box set by Adam Fischer and the Austro-Hungarian Haydn Orchestra on Brilliant.
    Playing Symphonies 96, 97, and 98.

[​IMG]

17. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Now streaming on Amazon, a first listen to "Max d'Ollone - Melodies Volume 2" performed by Elsa Maurus (mezzo), Didier Henry (baritone) and Patrice d'Ollone (piano) on Maguelone.

Max d'Ollone 1875-1959. My first listen to this French composer.

[​IMG]

18. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

This is clearly a US/EU divide and I don't think it's any use to discuss this further, I stand by what I said before :)

19. coopmv

I just checked, BSO with Charles Munch and Colin Davis represent the bulk of my BSO recordings ...

20. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Now streaming on Amazon, a first listen to "Ascanio Maione (1570-1627) : Capricci napoletani" performed by Michele Deverite on Arion.

[​IMG]

21. coopmv

I have owned this Complete Haydn Symphonies set for over ten years but cannot say I am emotionally connected with these recordings ...

22. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD RCA Red Seal BMG Classics German Press RD87987) 1989 .... Rudolf Firkusny is adamant part of my classical pianist`s pantheon and this all Martinu program is nothing short of stellar .... btw splended sounding CD ....

23. coopmv

I like Firkusny, a terrific pianist!

Soulpope likes this.
  24. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Same here - I have the Munch/BSO box and the Davis/BSO Sibelius cycle is my first choice of all his Sibelius recordings.

Byrdsmaniac and julesd68 like this.
  25. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

A great pianist, but unfortunately I don't have many of his recordings. Rudolf Firkušný's Leoš Janáček set is a favourite.

Soulpope likes this.