Iron Maiden Song By Song Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zoot Marimba, Nov 8, 2017.

1. MusicMatt

MusicMatt Quality over Quantity

King of Twilight

I like this one a lot. Its almost like two songs as the whole tone shifts at the 2:18 mark. I really like what the guitars do at the 2:55 part of the song as well. Great B-side!

CBackley and Zoot Marimba like this.
  2. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Looking forward to cranking my re-sequenced Powerslave CD-R in the car tomorrow (it will be the only positive of going back to work...)

1- Two Minutes
    2- Powerslave
    3- The Duellists
    4- A Rainbow's Gold
    5- Losfer Words

6- Aces High
    7- Flash of the Blade
    8- King of Twilight
    9- Back in the Village
    10- Rime of the Ancient Mariner

Pause
    11- Aces High live
    12- Two Minutes live
    13- Powerslave live

Zoot Marimba and MusicMatt like this.
  3. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

Powerslave: Bruce’s multitracked background vocals add another dimension to this song.

Rime Of The Ancient: It amazes me that Maiden could get away with placing a 13 minute song on an album at a time when such epic tracks were viewed as unfashionable. I have to say that everything falls into place.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  4. Smokin Chains

Smokin Chains Forum Resident

I'm a bit behind, listening the the Rime Of The Ancient Mariner right now. One thing I am noticing listening to all these Maiden songs is how often the guitars do the chug thing for a few measures then go into the sustained chord, then back to the chugging. So simple, but creates so much tension and release in the songs.

Frosst, Meyer and Zoot Marimba like this.
  5. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group Thread Starter

Great observation

Smokin Chains likes this.
  6. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

I love this song. I hope they bring it back LIVE soon.

7. Zoot Marimba

Live After Death:
    [​IMG]
    Live After Death is a live album and video by the English heavy metal band Iron Maiden, originally released in October 1985 on EMI in Europe and its sister label Capitol Records in the US (it was re-released by Sanctuary/Columbia Records in the US in 2002 on CD and by Universal Music Group/Sony BMG Music Entertainment on DVD). It was recorded at Long Beach Arena, California and Hammersmith Odeon, London during the band's World Slavery Tour.
    The video version of the concert only contains footage from the Long Beach shows and was reissued on DVD on 4 February 2008, which coincided with the start of the band's Somewhere Back In Time World Tour.[4] In addition to the complete concert, the DVD features Part 2 of "The History of Iron Maiden" DVD series, which began with 2004's The Early Days and continued with 2013's Maiden England '88, documenting the recording of the Powerslave album and the following World Slavery Tour.

BackgroundEdit

Iron Maiden's World Slavery Tour began in Warsaw, Poland on 9 August 1984[5] and lasted 331 days,[6] during which 187 concerts were performed[7] To tie in with their 1984 album, Powerslave,[8] the tour's stage show adhered to an ancient Egyptian theme, which was decorated with sarcophagi and Egyptian hieroglyphs, and mummified representations of the band's mascot, Eddie, in addition to numerous pyrotechnic effects.[9] The theatricality of the stage show meant that it would become one of the band's most acclaimed tours, making it the perfect backdrop to their first live double album and concert video.[10]

For the Live After Death video, the band hired director Jim Yukich to film two shows of their four night run at Long Beach Arena, California from 14 to 17 March 1985.[10][11] The double LP release was also recorded at Long Beach, although side four contains additional tracks, recorded at Hammersmith Odeon, London on 8, 9, 10 and 12 October 1984.[12] According to bassist Steve Harris, while the video used footage from two nights at Long Beach, the audio version is only made up of one performance, although no exact dates are specified.[13] Harris also says that, even if they had had the time, they would not have added any studio overdubbing to the soundtrack, stating that "we were really anti all that, anyway. We were very much, like, 'This has got to be totally live,' you know?"[13]

Since its release, the album has received consistent critical praise, with reviewers remarking that it is one of the genre's best live albums.[14][15] For the band, the record's release was extremely advantageous as it meant they could delay the recording of their follow up studio album, 1986's Somewhere in Time. This time off following the World Slavery Tour was extremely beneficial for the band, who desperately needed to recuperate following the tour's heavy schedule.[11]

Cover artEdit

The cover art was done by Derek Riggs, and pictures the band's mascot, Eddie, rising from a grave. Engraved on his tombstone is a quote from fantasy and horror fiction author H. P. Lovecraft's The Nameless City:[16]

"That is not dead which can eternal lie
    Yet with strange aeons even death may die."

Also engraved onto the headstone is what appears to be Eddie's full name, "Edward T H--", the remainder of which (his supposed surname, "Head") is obscured by a clump of sod.

The cover's depiction of Eddie follows the continuity from previous artworks; he sports the metal screw cartouche from his Piece of Mindlobotomy, which is being struck by lightning,[16]and is also bound by metal cuffs connected by an electrical surge, as seen in Powerslave tour promotional artwork.[17]

The back cover depicts the rest of the graveyard and a city being destroyed by lightning, which Riggs states was inspired by John Martin's painting, The Destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah.[16] Death appears in the clouds above the destroyed city; the character is a regular feature of Riggs' covers (such as "Twilight Zone", "The Trooper", Powerslave and Somewhere in Time).[18] Near Eddie's grave is a black cat with a halo, which also features in the Somewhere in Time and "Twilight Zone" artworks, which Riggs states was "not about anything really" and was added "to get people's attention".[16] To the cat's left, there is a tombstone engraved with "Here lies Derek Riggs".[16] Riggs also included gravestones which state "Live With Pride", added at the band's request to show opposition to lip-synched performances, "Here Lies Faust In Body Only", the German legend who sold his soul to the Devil (hence "in body only"), and a stone which simply reads "Thank You", representing the Grateful Dead.[16]

IntroEdit

The intro before "Aces High" is a part of the We shall fight on the beaches speech made by Winston Churchill in the House of Commons on 4 June 1940.[19] (Churchill re-recorded the speech – the original speech in the House of Commons was not recorded.):

"... We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender ..."

It was later used for their Ed Hunter Tour,[20]Somewhere Back in Time World Tour,[21] and Maiden England World Tour.[22]
    Live After Death has been highly rated by critics since its release; Kerrang! and Sputnikmusicboth agree that it is "possibly the greatest live album of all time",[15][27] while AllMusicdescribes it as "easily one of heavy metal's best live albums".[14]

Sputnikmusic argues that it is the band's best live album, concluding that "Iron Maiden's 1985 release has everything you could ask for. With, exciting renditions of classic songs, and brilliant performances, Live After Death is quite a fun listen."[15] PopMatters describes it as "a searing, 102-minute collection of Maiden at [their] peak... an absolute treasure for fans [which] went on to be universally regarded as an instant classic in the genre".[28]

The album's video counterpart received similar critical acclaim, with AllMusic stating that "Live After Death is a visual pleasure as much as a sonic one. The elaborate staging and lighting effects are excellent. The editing is superb as well [with] very few rapid-fire, seizure-inducing camera cuts".[24] The bonus features included in the 2008 DVD reissue were also praised by PopMatters, Kerrang! and About.com.[23][27][29]

The album has also been described by Classic Rock as "the last great live album of the vinyl era."[30]

Track listingEdit
    The first 13 tracks (12 songs and the intro) of the audio release were recorded at Long Beach Arena in Long Beach, California from 14–17 March 1985.[10] The last 5 songs were recorded earlier on the same tour, at the Hammersmith Odeon (now known as the Hammersmith Apollo) in London on 8, 9, 10 and 12 October 1984.[12] On the original double LP version, the songs from Long Beach are on the first three sides, whereas the songs recorded in London ("Wrathchild", "Children of the Damned", "22 Acacia Avenue", "Die With Your Boots On" and "Phantom of the Opera") are on side four.[1]

The initial CD version (released in December 1985) features the first three sides of the LPversion; the fourth side was not included due to capacity limitations.[31] In addition, "Running Free" is shortened from 8:16 on vinyl to 3:16 on the CD by eliminating the crowd interaction, while the intro and first song, "Aces High", are merged into the same track.[31] The 1998 remastered re-release includes the unedited versions of all songs, as well as a second CD with the missing tracks from the fourth side of the original LP.[32]The 1995 re-release (which was not remastered) also comes with an additional CD, which instead contains the B-sides from the Live After Death singles releases.[33]

The Live After Death video was also recorded at Long Beach Arena, but on different nights.[13] It contains the entire concert, complete with intro and encore, and closes with "Sanctuary",[2][3] which is absent from all audio versions, excluding the 1995 bonus CD.[33]

Album track listingEdit
    All tracks written by Steve Harris, except where noted.

Side 1
    No.
    Title Writer(s) Length
    1. "Intro: Churchill's Speech" Winston Churchill 1:09
    2. "Aces High" (from Powerslave, 1984) 4:07
    3. "2 Minutes to Midnight" (from Powerslave, 1984) Adrian Smith, Bruce Dickinson 5:52
    4. "The Trooper" (from Piece of Mind, 1983) 3:59
    5. "Revelations" (from Piece of Mind, 1983) Dickinson 5:59
    6. "Flight of Icarus" (from Piece of Mind, 1983) Smith, Dickinson 3:21
    Side 2
    No.
    Title Writer(s) Length
    1. "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" (from Powerslave, 1984) 13:03
    2. "Powerslave" (from Powerslave, 1984) Dickinson 7:06
    3. "The Number of the Beast" (from The Number of the Beast, 1982) 4:48
    Side 3
    No.
    Title Writer(s) Length
    1. "Hallowed Be Thy Name" (from The Number of the Beast, 1982) 7:17
    2. "Iron Maiden" (from Iron Maiden, 1980) 4:11
    3. "Run to the Hills" (from The Number of the Beast, 1982) 3:52
    4. "Running Free" (from Iron Maiden, 1980) Harris, Paul Di'Anno 8:16
    Side 4
    No.
    Title Writer(s) Length
    1. "Wrathchild" (from Killers, 1981) 2:54
    2. "22 Acacia Avenue" (from The Number of the Beast, 1982) Harris, Smith 6:04
    3. "Children of the Damned" (from The Number of the Beast, 1982) 4:19
    4. "Die with Your Boots On" (from Piece of Mind, 1983) Smith, Dickinson, Harris 4:51
    5. "Phantom of the Opera" (from Iron Maiden, 1980) 7:01
    Total length: 98:09
    1995 reissue bonus CD
    No.
    Title Writer(s) Length
    1. "Losfer Words (Big 'Orra)" (from Powerslave, 1984, recorded at Hammersmith Odeon, October 1984) 4:14
    2. "Sanctuary" (from Iron Maiden, 1980, recorded at Long Beach Arena, 17 March 1985) Iron Maiden 4:40
    3. "Murders in the Rue Morgue" (from Killers, 1981, recorded at Hammersmith Odeon, 12 October 1984) 4:32
    ^ I Iron Maiden's entire discography, from their 1980 self-titled debut album to 1992's Fear of the Dark, was re-released as limited editions with a bonus CD in 1995.

VHS track listingEdit

• "Intro: Churchill Speech"
      • "Aces High" (Harris)
      • "2 Minutes to Midnight" (Smith, Dickinson)
      • "The Trooper" (Harris)
      • "Revelations" (Dickinson)
      • "Flight of Icarus" (Smith, Dickinson)
      • "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" (Harris)
      • "Powerslave" (Dickinson)
      • "The Number of the Beast" (Harris)
      • "Hallowed Be Thy Name" (Harris)
      • "Iron Maiden" (Harris)
      • "Run to the Hills" (Harris)
      • "Running Free" (Harris, Di'Anno)
      • "Sanctuary" (Iron Maiden)
    DVD track listingEdit

• "Churchill Speech"/"Aces High" (Harris)
      • "2 Minutes to Midnight" (Smith, Dickinson)
      • "The Trooper" (Harris)
      • "Revelations" (Dickinson)
      • "Flight of Icarus" (Smith, Dickinson)
      • "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" (Harris)
      • "Powerslave" (Dickinson)
      • "The Number of the Beast" (Harris)
      • "Hallowed Be Thy Name" (Harris)
      • "Iron Maiden" (Harris)
      • "Run to the Hills" (Harris)
      • "Running Free" (Harris, Di'Anno)
    DVD disc 2Edit

• "History of Iron Maiden – Part 2 – Live After Death" (60 mins)
      • Behind the Iron Curtain (57 mins approx)
        • Shot during Maiden's historic tour of Poland and other parts to the Eastern Bloc in 1984 featuring interviews, live and offstage footage capturing the atmosphere of this remarkable journey behind the Wall at the height of the Cold War.
      • Rock in Rio '85 (50 mins approx)
        • Highlights from the band's set supporting Queen on the first day of the first Rock in Rio in front of 350,000 people.
      • 'Ello Texas (15 minutes)
        • Interview and live performance. Caught by a film crew in 1983 at the Alamo and sound checking their show in San Antonio.
      • Artwork Gallery, Tour Programme, Tour dates and photo gallery
      • Promotional clips for "Aces High" and "2 Minutes to Midnight."
    PersonnelEdit
    Production and performance credits are adapted from the album,[1][32] VHS and DVD liner notes.[2][3]

Iron Maiden
    Production
    Overall Thoughts
    While not a favorite live album of mine, or even my favorite Iron Maiden live album, this is definitely a great one and worthy of checking out and owning. Instead of ranking the tracks, I'll list which ones I like the studio version more, and which ones I like better on here:
    Studio
    1. Aces High (although I love the intro on LAD)
    2. Revelations
    3. Flight of Icarus
    4. Rime of the Ancient Mariner
    5. Hallowed Be Thy Name
    6. Iron Maiden
    7. Running Free
    8. Wrathchild
    9. Children of the Damned
    10. Phantom of the Opera
    LAD
    1. 2 Minutes To Midnight
    2. The Trooper
    3. Powerslave
    4. The Number Of the Beast
    5. Run to the Hills (although the first verse is better on record)
    6. 22 Acacia Avenue
    7. Die With Your Boots On

SammyJoe, Frosst and superstar19 like this.
  8. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

@Musicman1998 what is your favorite Maiden live album? LAD is my fave, followed by Maiden England and the Reading '82 show from BBC Archives.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  9. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Live After Death is a very good live album, but I think it is overrated. I can't complain too much about the tracklist, but the execution isn't great on all of the songs, especially Number of the Beast. I would have preferred Where Eagles Dare over Powerslave, but since it is the Powerslave tour, I understand its inclusion.

While it is only a EP, Maiden Japan is a much better live recording, IMO. It deserved a wider release.

Big Pasi, scottp and Zoot Marimba like this.
  10. MusicMatt

Live After Death

Up until "Beast Over Hammersmith" was released, LAD was my favorite Maiden Live Album and even with all the live releases they've done today, it still ranks quite high. I actually don't play it too often anymore since I have (over the past 15 years) come across many a fine sounding bootleg of the full 1984 Hammersmith show but it is still a fine release. An excellent setlist helped this album become a sort of greatest hits for people first becoming familiar with the band. Probably the greatest stage set up the band has ever done. LAD has my favorite artwork of any Maiden release especially when you unfold the vinyl to show it off in it's full glory. Nicko's last word on "Revelations" is iconic and well as Bruce's "Los Angeles destroyed my hearing." Though nothing compares to Bruce's "Scream for me Long Beach!" I use "Phantom of the Opera" from this release on my Greatest Hits mixes.

11. MusicMatt

My live album ranks:

Beast Over Hammersmith
    Live After Death
    Maiden England
    Rock In Rio
    Death On the Road
    Reading '82
    En Vivo!
    Flight 666
    Book of Souls:Chapter II
    Live At Donington
    A Real Live/Dead One

SammyJoe and Zoot Marimba like this.
  12. TexasBuck

TexasBuck Forum Resident

Live After Death was my introduction to Iron Maiden. (Perhaps there is a fair bit of sentimental value in my evaluation) I mostly bought it for the album cover. A nice gamble for me, as it turned into my favorite live album of all time. The energy, the crowd interaction, the aggression, the musicianship.... LaD has it all. Most versions eclipse the already fantastic studio versions for me. This is a desert island album for me. 5 stars out of 5, all the way. I might have to ask a friend to slip a copy into my coffin when I die, so I can have it forever.

13. Zoot Marimba

The one that's my avatar is my favorite (Maiden Japan in case someone reads this after I've changed my avatar)
    1. Maiden Japan
    2. Beast Over Hammersmith
    3. Rock in Rio 01
    4. Live After Death
    5. Flight 666
    6. Maiden England 88
    7. Live At Donnington 92
    8. A Real Live Dead One

14. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

This is my top 4 as well. I do put Flight 666 at #5 though.

MusicMatt and Zoot Marimba like this.
  15. Meyer

Meyer Heavy Metal Parking Lot Resident

Still my favorite Maiden live album, probably because back then, a live album was still my primary means of accessing live music.

Frosst, TexasBuck and Zoot Marimba like this.
  16. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

As big as a Maiden fan as I considered myself to be, I have to admit I've probably listened to Live After Death a sum total of probably twice since I bought the album when it came out. I just wasn't that interested in the live versions of these songs as 1) I had heard them live in concert on the tours and b) I preferred the studio versions by far (especially Bruce covering any Di'Anno tunes, period). This one just seemed like a book marker for a band that was obviously spent and needed some time off. It is what it is, but I certainly don't enjoy it like a lot seem to.

This has been a fun thread, but I'm afraid this is where we part ways. A great job by @Musicman1998 (Happy Birthday, dude) and every one else! Up The Irons! Metal for Muthas! (and all that good stuff. Enjoyed it, my friends). :)

I'll add that I saw the Somewhere In Time tour (I forget the title the band gave it), but it was good. As I said, it was my only time to hear the band do "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" in concert so that was awesome. Vinnie Vincent Invasion was the opener. They weren't so awesome. Nuff said.

SCREAM FOR ME LONG BEACH!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  17. Zoot Marimba

@Frosst I'd love to hear from you!

Frosst likes this.
  18. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

Yeah I haven't visited this thread as much as I should. :hide: Might nned to change that. I'm currently listening to Powerslave which I consider to be Iron Maiden's greatest album (although my favourite is The Number Of The Beast)

Don't know how much more I could add to the discussion though as I'm a big fan of almost everything Iron Maiden did in the 80's (and even in the early 90's) and the reunion era.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  19. Frosst

But let's get back into it shall we? Live After Death is an amazing live album. The live version of Powerslave on this album gives me goosebumps. Personally I'm bigger fan of the stuido album-versions of these songs but IM may be one of few band where I actually like the live versions just as much. The live version of Run To The Hills is also terrific.

20. Frosst

My favourite live album by Iron Maiden may very well be Rock In Rio, however it's hard to choose between this and Live After Death

superstar19 and Zoot Marimba like this.
  21. Frosst

I wasn't aware that this existed.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  22. Frosst

I agree with much of this. Not only is this Iron Maiden's longest song (after Empire Of The Clouds) but it is also a musical journey. With this song Iron Maiden proved that they could really create great epics (similar to the prog rock genre), this was afterall their first. They really did go beyond what was expected here. A masterpiece!

superstar19 and Zoot Marimba like this.
  23. Frosst

This is my assessment too. I was never a big fan of Back In The Village, in my opinion it was always a little bit weaker than the other songs. It's no filler or anything like that but it's not as strong as the other songs. The Duellists is a song that I had never heard before I bought the vinyl and it's pretty great.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  24. Zoot Marimba

Considering that the 90s aren't exactly considered a high point, I think you could add something

Frosst likes this.
  25. Frosst

Maybe, I'm abig fan of Fear Of The Dark but that's possibly the only 90's IM album I really like. Most people don't like that album at all but in my opinion it's pretty good. The first Bailey album has some good songs too.

CBackley likes this.